Scott Frost vs. The World

knapplc

1620 The Zone ran a poll like this and I thought it was such a great idea I'm running it here, with a couple of tweaks.

1620 The Zone - One of Omaha's best AM radio stations talking sports and Husker stuff. You should listen to them and buy things from their advertisers.

Here's how this works:  We're running a series of polls of possible Husker Head Coaches.  There will be eight regionals, 32 choices, and you'll vote on who you'd prefer to be Nebraska's Head Coach in 2018 (and beyond).  At the end of that poll there'll be one final poll - the winner of the tournament vs. Scott Frost (he's a former Nebraska quarterback and current head coach of UCF - you've probably heard of him). 

VOTES ARE NOT BINDING AND THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA IS UNDER NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO HIRE THE COACH WE CHOOSE AT THE END OF THIS

But they'd be crazy not to listen to us because this is super scientific, amirite?

Here are your contestants.  If someone is missing that's too bad.  I'm not putting a ton of thought into this.

Nebraska Connections

Mike Riley - he's our current head coach

Craig Bohl - former Defensive Coordinator and current Wyoming coach. We've had success poaching Wyoming coaches before

Turner Gill - Husker QB & former assistant coach under Tom Osborne (you've probably heard of him, too)

Barney Cotton - Former player, Asst. Coach & current Head Coach at UNLV

G5 Coaches

Mike Norvell - Memphis coach

Ken Niumatalolo - Navy coach who runs the Triple Option

Chad Morris - SMU coach

Troy Calhoun - Air Force coach

The Kelly/Miles Division

Chip Kelly - Scott Frost's mentor at Oregon

Les Miles - his son Ben is already on the team...

Charlie Strong - he beat Texas worse than Nebraska ever could

Jason Candle - Toledo coach (I don't know why 1620 put this guy on here)

Unrealistic Options

Gary Patterson - TCU coach

David Shaw - Stanford coach

Mark Dantonio - Sparty coach

Jon Gruden - The hottest name in all coaching rumors

SEC Coaches

Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M

Bret Bielema - Arkansas

Dan Mullen - Mississippi State

Gus Malzahn - Auburn

Power 5 Division

Kyle Wittingham - Utah coach

Matt Campbell - Iowa State coach

Dana Holgersen - WVU coach

Dave Doeren - NC State coach

Power 5 Division II - The Revenge of the Power 5 Division (AKA - there were too many for one division)

Justin Wilcox - Cal coach

Paul Johnson - Georgia Tech coach

Dino Babers - Syracuse coach

Mike Leach - Pirate coach

Hot Coordinators Gone Wild

Joe Moorhead - Penn State OC

Brent Venables - Clemson DC

Jeremy Pruitt - Alabama DC

Greg Schiano - Ohio State DC

• Plus1 3

Yep.  Four first-round polls today, four tomorrow, then we'll do semi-finals and Finals the two days after that.  Then we'll run the Ultimate Final Extravaganza over the weekend. 

Basically we want this done by Sunday so Mr. Moos has plenty of time to see the wisdom of our choice and make his decision.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep.  Four first-round polls today, four tomorrow, then we'll do semi-finals and Finals the two days after that.  Then we'll run the Ultimate Final Extravaganza over the weekend. 

Basically we want this done by Sunday so Mr. Moos has plenty of time to see the wisdom of our choice and make his decision.

I see. I posted that before you created additional threads with those polls.

Pool play is done and we've moved on to the The World semifinals.  These two winners go head-to-head to see who gets to face Scott Frost for the right to coach Nebraska in 2018. 

Funny story.  I wanted to make this round random, so I took the pool names and sorted them, then assigned random numbers 1-8 and grouped those into two pools of four each.  After going to all that trouble, it turned out that the first four pool winners were all together, as were all four of the second pool winners. 

So much for randomization. 

• Plus1 1

I wanted to include Jon Gruden because he always comes up in conversations here, and I thought Fuente was the least likely of those candidates to come here, so I dropped him.  I put about one second of thought into that decision.  Probably should have dropped Dantonio to put Gruden in, and left Fuente on the list. 

The prelims are over and we have a winner.  Matt Campbell, Iowa State head coach, has defeated all challengers and wins the right to tempt fate and the gods in a one-on-one showdown against Scott Frost.

Here's a list of coaches Campbell vanquished to claim the World's crown:

Kyle Wittingham

Dana Holgersen

Dave Doeren

Brent Venables

Justin Wilcox

Gus Malzahn

Chip Kelly

Matt Campbell, heir to the soup fortune, stands alone atop a hill of slain.

Now, clipboard in hand, he turns his gaze upon the highest of mountains.  He's going to climb it, even though it's cold up there.  Some might even say... Frosty. 

• Plus1 2

OK, guys, so we ran Scott Frost vs. the Whole World, and you're not going to believe this, but Scott Frost won.  Big.

The World's champion was Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell.  He got 5% of the vote, and my sources tell me that it's possible that may have been a sympathy vote.

So congratulations Scott Frost.  You can collect your top-secret prize in person in Lincoln at the top of the hill. You know what I'm talking about. ;)

• Plus1 1