Nebraska AD Bill Moos sticking with coach Mike Riley through end of season

6 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Also, although it may not be popular amongst many, including myself, that Moos won't fire Riley before the end of the season, good for Moos coming out and issuing some sort of statement. Just hearing from him, especially in an embarrassing moment like the loss to Minnesota is refreshing.

Even though it is the worst kept secret in Nebraska, it was time for Moos to say it without saying it.

I'll give the man credit, he's a man of his word, not afraid to listen to the fanbase and address those concerns openly. He's a leader, that's completely obvious at this point. I agree with the decision as long as it doesn't cause us to lose SF or some other big name coach. My guess is he's not firing him for a few reasons: 

1. He's a man of his word, he means what he says and is going to stick by that, that takes guts. 

2. He's in negotiations with SF's agent and they are trying to come to an agreement so he doesn't have a replacement at this point to make him comfortable firing Riley. 

3. He's come to an agreement with SF so he's comfortable knowing Riley is gone after Black Friday and he can announce SF after that. 

4. Worse case scenario: He's scrambling behind the scenes to get a coach in place to be able to fire Riley. 

Of course it could be a completely different coach at this point too...........

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Moos is the man. By all accounts our athletic department was a cluster and SE didn't have the best relationship with the coaches. Riley is getting fired, Moos keeps his word and more importantly, is earning the trust with the other coaches in our department. 

Well said.  Moos isn't saying Riley is returning next year, so it doesn't hurt much by keeping him around for another 12-13 days.  I'm sure Moos's decision has been made, so he can work behind the scenes on that hire, and he can spend the next 2 weeks working with the current coaches in the Athletic Department.