Nebraska AD Bill Moos sticking with coach Mike Riley through end of season

"I applaud this fan base," Moos said, "because they've been patient and they haven't had the product -- at least from my observation in the short time I've been here -- that I feel that they deserve. It's why we're taking a real hard look at this and one of the reasons I am out to hear their disgruntled thoughts on the state of the program."

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'll give the man credit, he's a man of his word, not afraid to listen to the fanbase and address those concerns openly. He's a leader, that's completely obvious at this point. I agree with the decision as long as it doesn't cause us to lose SF or some other big name coach. My guess is he's not firing him for a few reasons: 

1. He's a man of his word, he means what he says and is going to stick by that, that takes guts. 

2. He's in negotiations with SF's agent and they are trying to come to an agreement so he doesn't have a replacement at this point to make him comfortable firing Riley. 

3. He's come to an agreement with SF so he's comfortable knowing Riley is gone after Black Friday and he can announce SF after that. 

4. Worse case scenario: He's scrambling behind the scenes to get a coach in place to be able to fire Riley. 

Of course it could be a completely different coach at this point too...........

Personally, I think it's a hiring benefit to be able to say look I stick to my word. That means if Moos makes a commitment to give our next coach x amount of time, they know they'll have it.  If you go back on your word in a public place, it doesn't instill hope in our next coach. It seems like the AD department has more damage control to do than anything. This is a good first step. 

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

"I applaud this fan base," Moos said, "because they've been patient and they haven't had the product -- at least from my observation in the short time I've been here -- that I feel that they deserve. It's why we're taking a real hard look at this and one of the reasons I am out to hear their disgruntled thoughts on the state of the program."

That's a great quote, and I appreciate you putting it in this thread.  It's buried in the middle of the article, but that shows that Moos is going to fire Riley, he's just not doing it right now.

2 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Does this make everyone else think that Moos has already had the talk with Riley in private?  I can't imagine him saying it like this unless they'd had a frank discussion already.

Riley was asked about speaking with Moos last week and he said “I have talked to Bill somewhat in depth – not a lot – a couple different times and the topics will be between us at this point”  So Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

Personally, I think it's a hiring benefit to be able to say look I stick to my word. That means if Moos makes a commitment to give our next coach x amount of time, they know they'll have it.  If you go back on your word in a public place, it doesn't instill hope in our next coach. It seems like the AD department has more damage control to do than anything. This is a good first step. 

Agreed, because that next coach is going to need some time to get this ship turned around. Hell patching the holes so it doesn't sink is going to take plenty of time before we can even turn the ship to where we need to go. 

53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're not wrong.  "Mike Riley deserves to finish the 2017 season. That's how I operate."

As long as he doesn't say "Mike Riley deserves to return for the 2018 season," I really don't care at this point.

• Plus1 2

57 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

"I love this team," Riley said. "I love our approach every week. We have had very few issues, except for the games. 

Kind of important Riley.

I didn't think it was possible for one of they coaches to say something as dumb as the stuff Diaco says but Riley topped him with this one.

Edited by LumberJackSker