Wikileaks

zoogs

I feel this deserves its own topic at this point. The activities of Assange, Wikileaks, their defenders and promoters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/the-secret-correspondence-between-donald-trump-jr-and-wikileaks/545738/?utm_source=twb

The messages, obtained by The Atlantic, were also turned over by Trump Jr.’s lawyers to congressional investigators. They are part of a long—and largely one-sided—correspondence between Wikileaks and the president’s son that continued until at least July 2017. The messages show Wikileaks, a radical transparency organization that the American intelligence community believes was chosen by the Russian government to disseminate the information it had hacked, actively soliciting Trump Jr.’s cooperation. Wikileaks made a series of increasingly bold requests, including asking for Trump's tax returns, urging the Trump campaign on Election Day to reject the results of the election as rigged, and requesting that the president-elect tell Australia to appoint Julian Assange ambassador to the United States.

Extraordinary. "If we publish [a leaked tax return] it will dramatically improve the perception of our impartiality," Wikileaks explained. "That means the vast amount of stuff that we are publishing on Clinton will have much higher impact [...]"

That's irrelevant if they're being weaponized by a country hostile to America.  They're what happens if your wife turns into a zombie.  She may still look like your wife, but she wants to eat your brain. 

Also, came here to post this.  It's damning stuff.  If Mueller is doing his job correctly then lots of heads are going to roll.

Maybe Bannon/Brietbart need to pull their investigators trying to discredit the Moore story out of Alabama and instead focus on trying to save Bannon's butt.  He may need saving more than Moore soon.

• Plus1 3

Journalism.

---

But yeah, it's complicated. Perhaps the lesson here is that it takes an adversary to sustain an organization devoted to exposing secrets, which then compromises the work that they do because it's inevitably agenda-serving.

I think the body of work thing has been clear for a long time. However, this seems more like the smoking gun. It's completely unsurprising that they would have had these conversations/outreach efforts ... but it's one thing to assume that, another to see it published and documented.

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

I agree with your premise that we need an organization to assist us in exposing government secrets that are harmful to American citizens, @RedDenver It's just there's almost no way to do that without having them compromised. Who's going to have oversight to the Julian Assanges of the world? They clearly need oversight.

Or there are a whole bunch of them and in the aggregate they will release information on all the state actors, even if some/all of them are controlled by various states.

It's becoming increasingly clear that Jr. was born of the shallow end of the gene pool. 

Heck of a job implicating a ton of senior campaign officials like that. It will be interesting to see if Pence or Trump himself were roped in as well via other communications. 

Regardless, Jr.'s denial that there was anything to the collusion angle looks even worse in light of this news. I'm guessing he's not the only one on that list who went on record to deny any connection to Wikileaks, either.

12 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that Jr. was born of the shallow end of the gene pool

Heck of a job implicating a ton of senior campaign officials like that. It will be interesting to see if Pence or Trump himself were roped in as well via other communications. 

Regardless, Jr.'s denial that there was anything to the collusion angle looks even worse in light of this news. I'm guessing he's not the only one on that list who went on record to deny any connection to Wikileaks, either.

My thoughts too. In hearing about this on the radio this morning and reading the stories now, I cannot believe how UN-discerning TJR is. And you know Trump only hires the best - well this is one of the 'best' that is running his companies (if one believes that Trump isn't pulling the strings still for his companies). You got to know that Mueller is jumping all over this. Probably just the tip of the iceberg. 

The bold - pretty funny stuff

12 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that Jr. was born of the shallow end of the gene pool. 

And we all thought Eric was the less bright ... he's at least smart enough to know to stay in the shadows.  Egos, they are the achiles heels of the Trump men.

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"WikiLeaks doesn't keep those records."

What?  Why not?  That's exactly what they do - retain records of politicians and governments for future dissemination in the name of transparency. 

What possible reason could they have for not retaining those DMs?

It is almost like they are politically motivated or something. :dunno