What question would you like to have Mike Riley answer 100% honestly?

I like this thread, OP. I've kind of been thinking about such a question for several weeks.

If I could give Mike a dose of truth serum I'd probably ask him if he believes that his practice time (meaning, all the way from Spring ball through the in-season practices) could be considerably more focused and intense.

When we talk about whether or not a college head coach "can develop talent" these days, I think about Wisconsin & Iowa's programs. Aside from coaches that teach sound fundamentals, what other explanation could there really be for the fact that each year Wisconsin rolls out a program that could potentially beat any team in the conference on any given Saturday?

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I like this thread, OP. I've kind of been thinking about such a question for several weeks.

If I could give Mike a dose of truth serum I'd probably ask him if he believes that his practice time (meaning, all the way from Spring ball through the in-season practices) could be considerably more focused and intense.

When we talk about whether or not a college head coach "can develop talent" these days, I think about Wisconsin & Iowa's programs. Aside from coaches that teach sound fundamentals, what other explanation could there really be for the fact that each year Wisconsin rolls out a program that could potentially beat any team in the conference on any given Saturday?

Great point about practice time. That's where the kids are going to see the most development.

It's ironic because Mike gets so confident when watching practices, and he seems so perplexed when it doesn't carry over to the games.  So, that makes me think that while he thinks he's running practices properly, the results aren't carrying over to the games, so he must not be running practices properly and getting the most out of them.

Are you truly disappointed in the results on the field.  Is this period in your life going to bother you, as an failed attempt.  Would you have done things differently?  Do you feel you owe the fans of Nebraska an apology.  If so I accept that, and for me it is time to move on.  I would tell him that I am sorry it did not work out for Nebraska, but just as much for him.  Nice guys should win sometimes.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's ironic because Mike gets so confident when watching practices, and he seems so perplexed when it doesn't carry over to the games.  So, that makes me think that while he thinks he's running practices properly, the results aren't carrying over to the games, so he must not be running practices properly and getting the most out of them.

Exactly. As if he needed to do research at some point with other trusted head coaches and try to figure out where his "practice focus" and "practice intensity" measures up to other successful programs. 

It doesn't seem that hard to read between the lines and make a relatively fair assumption in saying that Riley probably just kept doing what he'd always done, and therefore got the same results.

We all know that our practices in the 90s under Osborne were high intensity. It's well-documented. If you play like you practice, it seems relatively obvious that either Riley or his coordinators just don't have appropriate standards of practice intensity that the average Top 25 program has. How else does Iowa knock off Ohio State? How else does Wisconsin consistently spend the vast majority of every season ranked, and even sniffing the Top 10?

• Plus1 1