Assistants-who do we want?

39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

04710654.jpg

why not be serious - this resume is nothing to sneeze about from the link on the post above by HIHusker:

Carlos Polk begins his eighth season in the NFL and his fourth season as assistant special teams coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2017.

In his first three seasons with Tampa Bay (2014-16), Polk has helped coach one of the top punt coverage units in the NFL, allowing only 5.5 yards per punt return, the lowest mark in the NFL during that timeframe.

The 2016 season saw a banner year from punter Bryan Anger, who set Buccaneers records for both punts inside the 20 (37) and net punting average (42.7), with both of those ranking in the top five in the NFL in 2016. Josh Robinson was one of Tampa Bay’s key special teams players, leading the team with 12 solo special teams tackles, tied for the third-most in the NFL.

In 2015, Polk helped coach punt returner Bobby Rainey, who was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week in Week 5 against Jacksonville. In the contest against the Jaguars, Rainey totaled 85 punt return yards, including a career-long 58 yard return, the longest return by a Buccaneers player since 2009. Rainey’s 85 punt return yards were the most for a Tampa Bay returner since 2008. Rainey finished the year ranked in the Top 10 in punt return average, punt return yards and total return yards.

Polk joined Tampa Bay following one season (2013) as a coaching intern for the Dallas Cowboys, where his primary duties included assisting with all areas of practice, breakdowns and weekly planning.

Before joining the Cowboys in 2013, Polk spent three years in San Diego (2010-12) as the special teams assistant and one year in the college ranks as a linebackers and special teams coach at Grossmont (Calif.) College (2009).

Prior to entering the coaching ranks, Polk spent eight years (2001-08) in the NFL as a linebacker and special teams player, where he compiled 120 tackles, four sacks and three forced fumbles playing for San Diego (2001-07) and Dallas (2008).

A first-team All-American linebacker at Nebraska (1997-2000), Polk played in 47 games including 23 starts in his final 23 contests. Polk finished his college career with 227 tackles, 10.0 sacks and two interceptions (one returned for touchdown).

Polk graduated with a degree in sociology from Nebraska. He is a native of Rockford, Illinois, and is married to Monique. He has two sons, Devonn and C.J., and two daughters, Deja and Miracle.

POLK AT A GLANCE

YEARS

POSITION

1997-2000

Nebraska, Player

2001-07

San Diego Chargers, Player

Dallas Cowboys, Player

Grossmont College, Linebackers and Special Teams Coach

2010-12

San Diego Chargers, Special Teams Assistant

Dallas Cowboys, Coaching Intern

2014-

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Assistant Special Teams Coach

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Troy Walters

Parrella

DWIdeouts

Don't care who else

Speaking of Parrella - how much responsibility does he have in regards to the poor rush D and the lack of QB pressure/sacks? Is it all on the DC because of his lousy scheme?  My gut tells me he is a quality coach and can develop the players but my eyes argue due to the overall results.

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Speaking of Parrella - how much responsibility does he have in regards to the poor rush D and the lack of QB pressure/sacks? Is it all on the DC because of his lousy scheme?  My gut tells me he is a quality coach and can develop the players but my eyes argue due to the overall results.

I think Diaco is calling a scheme that tries to have the 3 DL keep everything in front of them.  It's the LB's that have to fill the spaces and make the plays

18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

It’s mainly the scheme that is holding them back.  Once they are allowed to actually rush, you could see it certain times against PSU, there was actually pressure from the front.

But 90% of the time they are asked to control their man and keep the LB’s free, basically keep everything in front of them.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

It’s mainly the scheme that is holding them back.  Once they are allowed to actually rush, you could see it certain times against PSU, there was actually pressure from the front.

But 90% of the time they are asked to control their man and keep the LB’s free, basically keep everything in front of them.

Plus it's usually 3 on 5 or 6.  No DL is going to get pressure going against that (unless they are going against Nebraska's offense)

• Plus1 2

compare our 3-4 vs UCF's 3-4.  I know the philosophy is different - ours is passive, theirs is aggressive.  It is noticeable in the Tackles for loss that the aggressiveness

pays dividends.  UCF has 11 more while playing one less game.  Competition is different but they are doing this among their G5 piers and we against our P5 piers.

Comparing NU's 11 games vs UCF's 10 games  we see the same # of sacks - 14 for each team.  Sacks per game NU 1.27 ; USF 1.40

NU: 5.5 by DL   UCF: 6.5 by DL

Tackles for Loss: NU 38 and UCF 49 (again one less game).

From www.cfbstats.com :

image.thumb.png.1161e708b669b1f131be9a6484510191.png

image.thumb.png.0fb702d887e81bf2ab2d6e795d1ac397.png

image.thumb.png.f715587b51cfa82120c5736b22ccf919.png

image.thumb.png.6607ee2087b00773620e5c743e195dff.png

Also not that its a huge deal, but we have 4-3 lineman in a 3-4 defense. These guys play well despite not being heralded recruits and the fact they were recruited to another system. Mick Stoltenberg in particular has played a great season. When you look at the front 3 play and consider their job, you see a very well coached unit imo. 

Edited by Nebfanatic

Idk if there is any connection, ontop of the fact that Dewitt seems like a logical guy for Frost to bring with him, but it would be cool if we found a spot for Scott White - LB coach from UCLA... He's coached Miles Jack, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, ect... I think he was the P12 Recruiter of the year a few years back. Would be good to have a west coast recruiting connection.

Edited by Oade

On 1620 just now they were saying that when Frost was hired at UCF he said he would interview current assistants and would consider keeping some if they were a good fit.  They weren't sure if he actually kept any - they thought he might have kept a couple - but he would at least seem open to the possibility.