22 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Who are we really competing against?

Florida

Tennessee

Ole Miss

Oregon State

Georgia Southern

UTEP

I think the line falls between Ole Miss and the rest, but things just got interesting in Arkansas.  There's going to be a bunch more coaching changes in the next few weeks.

Probably depends on the money offered.  

31 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

No one will want to coach at Ole Miss for a while due to sanctions.

I used to think this.  But, I don't think it's a factor much any more.

Wasn't Alabama on sanctions when Saban took over?  That didn't scare him away.

Penn State was on sanctions and recovering from one of the worst scandals in college football history.  That didn't scare their new coach away.

If anything, if you take over a program with a couple years of sanctions, it gives the fans a reason to give you time to turn it around.  Use scholarship limits to rid the program of non contributing players and if you're a good recruiter, load up on talent when the sanctions go away.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Penn State was on sanctions and recovering from one of the worst scandals in college football history.  That didn't scare their new coach away.

If anything, if you take over a program with a couple years of sanctions, it gives the fans a reason to give you time to turn it around.  Use scholarship limits to rid the program of non contributing players and if you're a good recruiter, load up on talent when the sanctions go away.

Dont forget that their current head coach was not the guy who took the job several years ago!

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I don't remember Alabama being on sanctions.

Was Franklin hired before or after the sanctions were reduced? It would have been a matter of months difference. Either way he came in halfway through them after they were announced. Ole Miss is also not Penn State.

Any coach going to Ole Miss has the risk of not knowing what the repercussions will be.

I believe Franklin to the job before the sanctions were lifted

My point isn't whether WE feel like a given school is competition for the top coaches, rather, whether the coaches view it as such?  If you are the next hot coach, aren't you looking at a ton of factors like, location, recruiting base nearby, quality of the program you are inheriting, quality of life, on and on.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Craziness noted by 1620 just now.

Currently in the $EC:

Florida doesn't have a coach

Tennessee doesn't have a coach

Ole Miss has an interim coach

Arkansas reportedly just fired their AD and their coach may not be far behind

Texas A&M is on the fence with their coach

How far the SEC has fallen....... who can we steal?

Edited by GBRFAN
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Craziness noted by 1620 just now.

Currently in the $EC:

Florida doesn't have a coach

Tennessee doesn't have a coach

Ole Miss has an interim coach

Arkansas reportedly just fired their AD and their coach may not be far behind

Texas A&M is on the fence with their coach

They all want to catch Bama.  Tired of playing 2nd fiddle.   Lightening only strikes so many times.  We were fortunate at Nebraska - it struck 2x back to back.