“Foregone Conclusion” Tanner Lee Will Enter 2018 NFL Draft

seaofred92

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-100

On the quarterback front I was very surprised to learn from multiple sources that a pair of Big Ten quarterbacks, Tanner Lee of Nebraska and Clayton Thorson of Northwestern, are both heavily leaning towards entering the draft. 

Some are of the opinion it’s a foregone conclusion.

As one insider told me it was “one foot in the door, one foot out the door” for both signal callers before the season even began and that it would’ve taken something major for both to return to school. 

Despite the fact neither has played particularly well this season, I’m told the unimpressive play by the top-rated quarterbacks is making the decision easier. The expectations of a coaching change at Nebraska are also pushing Lee to declare for the draft.

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 1

This is the least surprising news.  I don't see any reason for Lee to stick around.  If Lee doesn't have his degree yet, he will probably get it this December.  He can head to the NFL, impress scouts with his arm and his size and try to latch on somewhere as a backup.  Lee already transferred because one school was moving to a spread offense that utilizes a mobile QB, why would he stick around for another coach going to a similar offense.

• Plus1 7

I think Lee will be  a decent/good NFL prospect. Sure he threw a ton of picks but he also got his ass kicked time after time, game after game this season. He got hit on what seemed like every other drop back. And he has played better the last few weeks. Not great but better. I think he could be one of those guys similar to Brad Johnson or Matt Hasselback that has ability to be a game manager.

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There are high-risk, high-reward quarterbacks, but too many of Lee's interceptions were balls that should have been thrown out of bounds, or scrambles and hook slides. At age 22, you should already have that instinct. 

Yeah. A baffling amount of them he wasn't close to being sacked, yet still hit the defender in the numbers.

And yet, other times, he threads the needle on some half-impossible looking pass.  I think those are the passes that get him into the most trouble - he knows he can make those throws some of the time so he tries all of the time, and those 50/50 balls get picked off about 50% of the time. 

Maybe his game translates well to the NFL, and maybe he's a success there.  If so, great for him and great for us, because that brings us that much closer to the POB/Gebbia era.  Which I think will be pretty good.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SUHperman said:

Meh I’d be fine with him leaving. I’m all in on Gebbia. I don’t anticipate Lee will have a very long career as turnover machines don’t last long in the NFL. Could see him catching on in the Canadian league or something like that. 

Not really confident Gebbia will be back either.

23 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I think he could be one of those guys similar to Brad Johnson or Matt Hasselback that has ability to be a game manager.

Again I cite the sub-60% tendency.

Johnson, FSU, 64.7% career completion percentage.

Hasselbeck, BC, 55.6% career, 61.6% senior season.

Tanner Lee, Tulane/Nebraska, 55.1, 51.8, 57.2

IMO, based on not only seeing Tanner's play this year, but based on years of QB stat correlations, the only way he's on a team next September is if it's a college one.

Edited by brophog