Senator Al Franken accused of sexual assault.

QMany

1 hour ago, dudeguyy said:

Does this mean McConnell doesn't view Trump accusers as credible?

Curious, since he was so quick to call out Al Franken & claims he believes the Moore accusers in Alabama.

It seems to me Mitch McConnell only cares about sexual misbehavior when it is politically expedient to do so.

Or when he doesn't like the incoming candidate  - Judge Moore.  Ok wt him going after Moore but the whole party looking the other way on Trump is another story.

I liked Al Franken on SNL, I enjoyed him on the radio when Air America was on the air, ive enjoyed a couple of his books, and I’ve always thought he was a great Progressive voice in the Senate. But in today’s climate, if we truly want to hold people accountable for bad behavior, especially the Donald Trumps and Roy Moores, Franken needs to resign, or the Denis need to force him out. This is a big moment for the credibility of Democrats and the continued empowerment of women (and everyone) to take a stand against this sort of stuff.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is what I expected to happen when we reached a climate where women were empowered to finally speak about the harassment and outright assault they face.  This is not a small problem and it is not rare. It is super common, and if this ball keeps rolling we're going to see dozens, if not hundreds of men in powerful positions outed. 

There are a lot of posters on HuskerBoard who would benefit from some soul-cleansing confessions. 

This is a poignant statement. Hypothetically, would such confessions be worthy of their own thread, an addition to the sexism thread, or someplace in the woodshed? 

You're taking away his career. That is absolutely a nuclear option. There's nothing measured or reasonable about that, it's just 0-100 immediately.

The consequence for every kind of unwanted sexual advance cannot be that you lose your job.  We have to have measured, reasonable responses to these things.  Manipulating a stage scene so that you kiss an actress and take a sophomoric picture where you pantomime grabbing her breasts should not be treated the same as rape or pedophilia. 

That smacks of McCarthyism, and is another wrong, not a redress.  Let's not make the mistake of treating every instance of unwanted behavior the same.  Let's continue to reason our way through these things.  We can be reasonable and still respect and provide protection for women.

• Plus1 6

I think what I'd consider "going nuclear" is Al Franken jamming his tongue in a woman's mouth, unsolicited, and then keeping his position of power for (if some have their way) indefinitely after that. He and people like him have used their power to keep it, and insulate themselves from any sort of consequences. This is an egregious abuse, and removing them from their position of power is a token step. These people, for these kinds of offenses, probably aren't going to jail or facing criminal charges. They can lose their current position without actually losing all the power and privilege they've accumulated. To no longer entrust them with continued use of that power is really the least we can do.

It is not a reasonable world where men can do this to women and get away with it on account of how common it is. And what Franken did cannot simply be filed away as an "unwanted advance". Either that, or we should avoid euphemizing sexual assault down to "unwanted (sexual) advance".

I don't think even LeeAnn Tweeden describes it as an "egregious abuse."  She describes it as wrong, and she (rightly) spoke up about it.

Certainly Mr. Franken should suffer consequences for this, we're all in agreement on that. What those consequences should be is the question, and it's not unreasonable to gauge each situation separately and figure out the best way to move forward from it. 

Al Franken does not represent all men in power, and should not suffer the consequences of all abuses of all men in power.  He should pay for what he has done in a reasonable way.  If that means getting counseling, a censure from the Senate, paying a monetary penalty, or losing his job, fine, whatever's reasonable.  But let's not jump to Z when we're at A. 

• Plus1 4
32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The consequence for every kind of unwanted sexual advance cannot be that you lose your job.  We have to have measured, reasonable responses to these things.  Manipulating a stage scene so that you kiss an actress and take a sophomoric picture where you pantomime grabbing her breasts should not be treated the same as rape or pedophilia. 

I agree with this.

As a liberal-leaning person, a fan of SNL, and a fan of Franken,  it's hard for me to look at this without bias.  However, I wish that the fact that Tweeden is a conservative celebrity that is willing to talk mainly to conservative media was not a factor here.

I feel like she could remove the "moral equivalent" argument by simply speaking out against Roy Moore, or showing some solidarity with his accusers.  And yet she has not done that.  Instead she has allowed herself to be used as a moral counterpoint to the Roy Moore situation.  And done so on Hannity, one of the most inflammatory conservative voices.

I'm not trying to minimize her situation, but, really this story has minimized Roy's teenage victims IMHO.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Dang...Rocky!

Interesting thing...Rocky said he only did Over The Top because they kept offering him more and more money that he finally realized he couldn't turn it down.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I don't think even LeeAnn Tweeden describes it as an "egregious abuse."  She describes it as wrong, and she (rightly) spoke up about it.

Certainly Mr. Franken should suffer consequences for this, we're all in agreement on that. What those consequences should be is the question, and it's not unreasonable to gauge each situation separately and figure out the best way to move forward from it. 

Al Franken does not represent all men in power, and should not suffer the consequences of all abuses of all men in power.  He should pay for what he has done in a reasonable way.  If that means getting counseling, a censure from the Senate, paying a monetary penalty, or losing his job, fine, whatever's reasonable.  But let's not jump to Z when we're at A. 

I do agree with this.

We are going into unchartered territory on this....as we should.  In the past, scum bag men were just allowed to do whatever they wanted to affecting women's lives and careers because of their sexual actions.  That was wrong.

We are now going to go through a period where the pendulum swings way the other direction and some people are going to be overly affected by whatever they did or do based on reactions about the larger issue in general.

Problem is, it's going to be almost impossible to have an open and honest conversation because it is such a hot topic and an emotional one.  It's also almost impossible to draw a line and say over this line a man's life should be ruined because there are so many variables in every situation that makes them different.

Edited by BigRedBuster