Senator Al Franken accused of sexual assault.

QMany

It's a little too late to have Franken unresign, and it would be a huge mistake if he did.  But maybe cooler heads will prevail in the future and we won't have this rush to end someone's career based on unproven accusations. 

Franken urged to reverse his resignation

At least four senators are urging Al Franken to reconsider resigning, including two who issued statements calling for the resignation two weeks ago and said they now feel remorse over what they feel was a rush to judgment.

Manchin was among the few Democrats who did not call for Franken’s resignation. The West Virginia senator stressed that he believes it would be appropriate for Franken to step down if the allegations are proved true.

Manchin ripped into the members who issued statements insisting that Franken resign — only to gather on the Senate floor the next day to watch him announce he was doing just that.

“The most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen done to a human being — and then have enough guts to sit on the floor, watch him give his speech and go over and hug him? That’s hypocrisy at the highest level I’ve ever seen in my life. Made me sick,” Manchin said.

He added, “Here’s a man, that all he said [was], ‘Take me through the Ethics Committee. I will live by whatever decision and I will walk away thinking about this opportunity I’ve had while I was here. But you find out if I’m a predator.’”

Manchin said he hopes Franken reverses his decision, but even more that the senators who led the charge against him reconsider and call for the two-term senator to stay until the ethics process is complete.

“I hope they have enough guts ... and enough conscience and enough heart to say, ‘Al, we made a mistake asking prematurely for you to leave.’”

• Plus1 1
On 12/20/2017 at 0:15 PM, zoogs said:

"There is zero difference" between the possibility that Franken's accusers and Moore's accusers are lying is not "zero difference" if the standing plea is "no rush to judgement" for one and "Alabama is about to elect a pedophile" for the other.

Voting and elections are based on public opinions/perception, while removing someone from office is criminal/bureaucratic, so there's a big difference in the situations even if the accusations/crimes are similar.

There's no difference in how we, as observers, process the information before us. If we are uncertain whether Franken's accusers are all lying or misinterpreting and this is the same deal as Moore's accusers, then why do we definitively label Moore a pedophile? Is it out of political expedience, because that's more likely to get people to vote another way? 

And resignation is not a criminal trial or bureaucratic process. The option that was closest to either was a voluntarily endorsed "investigation" that is designed to lead to censure and closure, not removal. 

5 hours ago, zoogs said:

There's no difference in how we, as observers, process the information before us. If we are uncertain whether Franken's accusers are all lying or misinterpreting and this is the same deal as Moore's accusers, then why do we definitively label Moore a pedophile? Is it out of political expedience, because that's more likely to get people to vote another way? 

And resignation is not a criminal trial or bureaucratic process. The option that was closest to either was a voluntarily endorsed "investigation" that is designed to lead to censure and closure, not removal. 

Whether or not we label Moore a pedophile just like we label Franken a sexual assaulter - based on the evidence we have and what we reason they did. What I'm describing is a difference between coming to a judgement yourself vs justice being served as part of the legal system. If either Franken or Moore were going to continue to be Senators and weren't stepping down, then I'd want an investigation and possible censor and removal, not a forced removal by witchhunt.

• Plus1 1