Craig Bohl

Herbie95

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Having Nebraska ties is great.

But it shouldn't immediately vault you over every other candidate.

I agree.

But considering the last 3 coaches to recording consistent winning seasons here either were native sons or had coached here at one point (Bo) while the least successful were not (Callahan, Riley) makes a guy wonder if familiarity with the lay of the land isn't important to being successful here.

Thus why we should maybe consider them in equal if not higher regard than others IMO.

Edited by husker98

Wyoming has had some great coaches walk their sidelines as mentioned above... Add Dennis Erickson to that list.  That said, even disregarding the negative feeling for him in Nebraska, Bohl isn't a top tier guy that can turn our ship around fast.  The days of taking 5-8 years to get a program running well are over.  Our immediate gratification society demands results now or we will move on to something else shiny.  I consider Nebraska in a situation that demands we bring someone high profile in now or we will start to risk losing some fan support and watch the sellout streak come to an end.  

56 minutes ago, husker98 said:

I agree.

But considering the last 3 coaches to recording consistent winning seasons here either were native sons or had coached here at one point (Bo) while the least successful were not (Callahan, Riley) makes a guy wonder if familiarity with the lay of the land isn't important to being successful here.

Thus why we should maybe consider them in equal if not higher regard than others IMO.

Understanding what football means to Nebraska is a big requirement. There are other college football bluebloods with high expectations, but as a small population state with a singular sports legacy, there really is no place like Nebraska. Even guys like Jim Rome understand and respect this, and he's from Southern California. 

Just keep in mind that the standard we hope to regain arrived with Bob Devaney, who came from Michigan via Wyoming and turned the job down until Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty talked him into it after rejecting the offer himself. Devaney was actually Nebraska's fourth choice -- the top three turned our AD down. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Understanding what football means to Nebraska is a big requirement. There are other college football bluebloods with high expectations, but as a small population state with a singular sports legacy, there really is no place like Nebraska. Even guys like Jim Rome understand and respect this, and he's from Southern California. 

Just keep in mind that the standard we hope to regain arrived with Bob Devaney, who came from Michigan via Wyoming and turned the job down until Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty talked him into it after rejecting the offer himself. Devaney was actually Nebraska's fourth choice -- the top three turned our AD down. 

Yes I do understand that. In my opinion I consider Devaney, not Osborne to be the gold standard. He came here and built us up from nothing. 

But just like bohl he prove he could win in the Midwest at wyoming first. Not everyone can win out here. It's a bit of a culture shock. And in this day and age our hypothetical non Midwestern candidate won't get the time Devaney did to acclimate his style of coaching to the challenges this job presents.

Which is why I lean towards Bohl.

Just my opinion, not saying a non Midwest guy can't, it's just not another risk I would take after how the last two west coast guys fared that's all.

23 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't want anyone that old even if they are a proven winner. We need someone with the fire and passion to prove themselves, not someone saving up for retirement.

Age is a predominant factor in choosing our next coach, has to be.  Bohl has done well but is not the answer.  Frost may not be the answer either.  Having ties to the program is great but it's not a requirement.  Urban Meyer seems to have done well wherever he goes (BG, Utah, Florida and now unfortunately tOSU)....same with Saban...same with Stoops...Swinney etc...some coaches have IT some don't.  We need to find a young(er)(ish) coach who has IT and will bring us back to prominence while committing to stick around a while and establish some continuity.  All this talk about ties to NU is great but as soon as someone comes in and starts dominating the B1G I have a feeling no matter where he comes from the fans will be stoked.  Calm down people and try not to get too desperate, we have nowhere to go but up.

1 hour ago, HIHusker said:

Age is a predominant factor in choosing our next coach, has to be.  Bohl has done well but is not the answer.  Frost may not be the answer either.  Having ties to the program is great but it's not a requirement.  Urban Meyer seems to have done well wherever he goes (BG, Utah, Florida and now unfortunately tOSU)....same with Saban...same with Stoops...Swinney etc...some coaches have IT some don't.  We need to find a young(er)(ish) coach who has IT and will bring us back to prominence while committing to stick around a while and establish some continuity.  All this talk about ties to NU is great but as soon as someone comes in and starts dominating the B1G I have a feeling no matter where he comes from the fans will be stoked.  Calm down people and try not to get too desperate, we have nowhere to go but up.

This is a rational post, as long as we agree we’re not bringing in a coach who runs some pantywaist scheme and who understands the culture and problems of recruiting here.

I get the impression Mr Moos understands that.

• Plus1 2

How old was Gene Stallings when he went to Alabama in the 90's?  I don't care about age as much as relevance and the ability to turn things around in a short time.  Once things are going in the right direction, we can hire who ever, once we are not firing coaches right and left.  It would be nice to hire a coach when another coach retired, instead of got fired!

I hate the fact Bohl's name is even in the hat. Nebraska wants and deserves SF. I think Bohl could turn around the program but would eventually get ran out of town in under 5 years due to the expectations of Husker football. 

I could see Bohl riding off into the sunset at WYO. I could also see him coming to Nebraska for his assistants who would like to be on a bigger stage but at this point Bohl has to be about 7th or 8th on Nebraska's list. We all know how fast those names can get crossed off the list so anything is possible.

All signs point to SF which is a great. WYO would keep their coach who they are absolutely tickled with and grateful for and SF would come home. SF would get NU to a few top tier bowls and leave at the first sign of adversity or when something better came along. SF is about SF and nobody else and if you don't already know that, you will. It might take a month and a half or 5 years but you'll see.

All the while Nebraska could have had Gary Patterson??? SMH....

Just now, chamrocck said:

Bohl would solidify a permanent place for us in irrelevant land.  Please no.  

I agree, I just don't get this. Yes, he built NDSU into something that's standing really good, but IMO, he's doing nothing noteworthy at Wyoming. Take away those turnovers, flop the offense and defense around, and this is last year's 8-6 team. 

• Plus1 1

I have always found it interesting that Bohl was found to be the scape goat for 2001 season in general.  Did anyone really watch Colorado and Miami games?  Colorado who ended up winning the Big 12 conference that season, and Miami who maybe had one of the best all around teams in college football for the last two decades.  2002 season was a complete rebuilding job for Solich.  Offense and Defense was full of new players and fresh faces.  Realistically, Bo coached Bohl's players the next season.  So, who really knows what Bohl might have done given the time.

I am not saying that I am on board for hiring him, but he sure isn't the worst person on the board.  Sure, he is older, but he is somewhat proven to be a winner as HC.  His style of football is B1G football all around.  Not many candidates are in that pool thats going to be available.  I would say that if Frost says no, Bohl should be in the Top 3.  Its all going to start playing out in the next two to three weeks.  Chip Kelly sounds like he is or maybe Florida bound.  Frost is the wildcard.  If he by chance says no way, right now, then I say its going to be hard to find that Mr. Right, right now.  We all know Bohl would be better than Callahan, Pelini and Riley have been.  He would get us to 9 wins a season, plus we should be able to match Wisky.