Craig Bohl

Herbie95

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

For the most part this post is right on....

The 7 straight 9 win season at NU needs to have an * behind it.   I would say the bar of minimum entry should be 8/9 wins and body / verbal language that says "I am NEBRASKA" and will bleed RED til the end.  Obviously the upgrade (WHICH WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR) is win some big games, reduce the national blowouts,  have a chance for the BigTen trophy during the last 3 weeks of the season during most year and compete for the Big Trophy more regularly than every other decade.

Or at least get that Broken Chair trophy back in the state of Nebraska, and keep it there a long while.  (Takes so little to please me these days)

On 11/17/2017 at 7:58 PM, Nebhawk said:

Nebraska is a rare program with its history and location.  We are not a recruiting hotbed location.  We are not a sexy place to be right now in how stable our program is.  We haven't been relevant for many years now.  How many guys want that right now?  I think there are some out there that view this as a kingdom.  However, there are more that view this as a career killer.  I think as long as we hire a coach who has a plan of attack, can come in here and garner respect, and has won at any level is a plus.  If thats Bohl, so be it, but he is an upgrade over our last 3 HC's.  

I will say it again.  I don't think he is the absolute answer, but if things dont go as planned, he isn't the worst guy out there.  The more I watch and learn about Dan Mullen, if Frost says no, Mullen should be the target.  I think he would be a good fit and can recruit to Miss St.  I see no reason he couldn't recruit to here.

Apples and Oranges...recruiting to MSU is much easier:  proximity to Texas/Florida and Louisiana, not to mention young recruits get to play in SEC and if didn't get a look from Alabama can at least get a guaranteed shot at them on the field in highly televised games...you are way off here in your logic.

On 11/18/2017 at 3:36 AM, HuskerDan said:

Agree what Bohl’s did at NDSU was impressive. At Wyoming he’s beat teams they should be competitive with, and lost to everyone they should. Think he’s a solid coach, just not at Nebraska or Power 5 Schools in general. Huskers need an up grade and not some of the same old same old

Thread should have ended on this post, sums it up perfectly.

giphy.gif

Edited by HIHusker

10 minutes ago, formerfan8 said:

Neb fans don't deserve Bohl and he would be crazy to come to Neb.  His experience recruiting to god forsaken lands and coaching up those that he gets, shows what he could do at Neb but, there is  no way you would go somewhere with one foot in the grave. Neb fans would expect a Big X championship the 1st year or he would be toast.

If Frost comes to Neb he will have a couple years to prove he cant coach before the faithful turn on him.  Neb is not an easy place to recruit to or coach. There are so many things against you, location, community makeup, weather, conference, fanbase etc.

Neb fans have got to stick with the next coach for a minimum of 5 years or it will just get worse than it already is.

Good to know our fanbase is holding the program back. Thanks

• Plus1 1

All I am saying is that some fans take it way too far. personally attacking coaches or players and accusing of affairs, being alcoholics etc is way beyond being a fan.

those comments do not make the program better.  these forums are a place to debate wins, losses, game plans and plays called.

everyone of the coaches and players that we have had in the past or have now are trying their best. they make mistakes but they don't deserve personal insults.

If I am a recruit that would effect me.

1 hour ago, formerfan8 said:

All I am saying is that some fans take it way too far. personally attacking coaches or players and accusing of affairs, being alcoholics etc is way beyond being a fan.

those comments do not make the program better.  these forums are a place to debate wins, losses, game plans and plays called.

everyone of the coaches and players that we have had in the past or have now are trying their best. they make mistakes but they don't deserve personal insults.

Thats why these message boards were formed.  Most recruits don't pay attention to this stuff.  First off, I think when things are not going right, voices need heard.  Secondly, when things are going good, football players here are treated like royalty.  On the flip side, when they are not giving enough, or not caring, they will get called out somewhat.  I think this coaching staff lost this team back when NIU came in and beat us.  I will not still give the players a complete pass however, because we lack the will to win more than anything right now.  I don't care who coaches a team, the team should give 100%, 100% of the time.  This team hardly this season has ever showed up in a first half all season long.  Alot of coaching in effect, but alot of will power as well.  So, yeah, this message board is for the fans more than its for the players or coaches.  

Ohio not treating you so well Frank? If a coach is acting unprofessional they deserve to be called out and even fired for it depending on the circumstances. I don't see too many personal attacks around these parts. When I do they are usually aimed right at our current HC due to our on field performance. No one deserves personal attacks based on winning and losing football games, I will agree. If you're running around with coeds and drinking in inappropriate situations, you may deserve what's coming to you on the personal attack front. Now I said I don't think it's fair personal insults are hurled at coaches who don't get results, but their job is based pretty solely on performance of the football team so if the team is bad and getting worse under your watch, you're going to rightfully be fired. None of the coaches we have had since TO were the right one for various reasons. Frank and Bo were closer to what we wanted, but that doesn't mean we should have held on to them. All we have gone through the past 20 years may all end up being a blessing in disguise. Frost is the type of coach we need at Nebraska in that he can be alot like TO was in the sense that if he comes to Nebraska and does well this may be his last stop as a head coach which would mean 20+ years of stability for our program. No other coaching canidate we have had since the glory days offered that kind of upside. 

You really think that behavior is limited to Husker fans?  Want to be entertained? Go read the Texas message board. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

You really think that behavior is limited to Husker fans?  Want to be entertained? Go read the Texas message board. 

I was thinking about having them read:  Texas, Florida, Florida St, Tennessee, UCLA, Texas A&M, and Notre Dame's message boards.  Wow, we are mild compared to what each one of these programs and there fans can dish out!

A few thoughts from an outsider...

The sellout streak doesn't make your program great.  Having a great program is what gave you a sellout streak.  You no longer have a great program.

You would be lucky to have Craig Bohl for a variety of reasons.  He's a great (not good) coach.  What he did at NDSU isn't just impressive, it's amazing.  His last three seasons there he went 43-2 with three I-AA national championships.  He knows the culture and the geography of the Midwest and the Plains, and he has tons of connections in NE, IA, MN WI, the Dakotas, etc.

I laughed out loud when I read, "Take away those turnovers, flop the offense and defense around, and this is last year's 8-6 team."  I guess if you take away the things that make any team a winner, they'd be a loser.  Take away all the losses and Mike Riley would be undefeated.  So what?  Take away 100 extra pounds and I'd be slim.

Nebraska fans think there's something special about Nebraska and its program.  I know it hurts to admit it, but you are what you are.  At this point in history you're another Minnesota - a program with a storied history and a crummy present.  There's nothing special about the Nebraska job.  You need a coach who will rebuild it.

• Plus1 1