epocSoN

Alex Grinch

Word (rumor) on the street is that we have solidified our next DC in current WSU DC Alex Grinch.  I'll be honest that I wasn't familiar with his resume until today.  Discuss people.  Also, my apologies if this was in a different thread and I missed it.

EDIT: The Rumor is that Scott is showing interest in hiring him as DC if he were to accept the NEB job.

Edited by epocSoN

Just now, Pedro Guerrero said:

He coached at New Hampshire with Chip Kelly. 

So now I'm going to quickly jump to the conclusion that the next Head Coach at Nebraska is going to be Chip Kelly.

Ha!  I like the way you do things!

I would need new jeans if we hired Kelly.  

28 minutes ago, epocSoN said:

Word (rumor) on the street is that we have solidified our next DC in current WSU DC Alex Grinch.  I'll be honest that I wasn't familiar with his resume until today.  Would it be normal to hone in on a DC before we have hired a new HC?  Discuss people.  Also, my apologies if this was in a different thread and I missed it.

What's the source of the rumor?

4 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

What's the source of the rumor?

Gary Sharpe on 1620 mentioned he was hearing it a lot.

1 minute ago, epocSoN said:

Gary Sharpe on 1620 mentioned he was hearing it a lot.

Perhaps they're throwing us a bone to hold us over til we get the official.

"Hmm can't confirm Scott so lets tell them the DC" kinda thing?

Wait a minute. Wait a minute.  Wait a minute.

Gary Sharp went on the radio and said specifically that he has heard Nebraska has hired (solidified) the next Nebraska Defensive Coordinator?  Before a HC is even introduced?

I've watched a few Wazzu games this year. Grinch runs a 3-4. Players move around a lot and he emphasizes speed and more speed. Until I hear the next HC I don't believe this rumor though. The HC chooses his staff, not the AD. 

Man, this is a complete mess.

We haven't even fired Riley yet, but we've hired Scott Frost a D-Coordinator from WSU and Brent Venables and retained Williams, Williams and Parrella. Gebbia and POB have transferred, while Terry Wilson and Noah Vedral have transferred in. Bookie has changed his mind and is all N again. Now all the players Coach Held has followed on twitter are not back N as well. Did I get everything covered?

Great Scott!

Just now, BIG ERN said:

I've watched a few Wazzu games this year. Grinch runs a 3-4. Players move around a lot and he emphasizes speed and more speed. Until I hear the next HC I don't believe this rumor though. The HC chooses his staff, not the AD. 

Does he do the block destruction stuff too?

rkay, the guy that does the x and o's breakdown was on twitter talking about Grinch to Nebraska recently. So there is a rumor out there but I don't think it's more than that atm.

Edited by alwayshusking

The scheming and tinkering of Alex Grinch

'Talk about putting the speed into the D. That’s a track team right there'

PULLMAN - Alex Grinch doesn’t surprise you with his practice wardrobe. The Washington State defensive coordinator typically wears gray sweatpants, a long-sleeve shirt and a Cougar ball cap. On game day, he also keeps it simple: visor and a jacket. As for the defensive schemes he’s dialing up each week, well, that's a different story altogether.

The Cougs have been far from simple this season. Parts are moving, linemen are stemming and slanting, and the secondary constantly transforms itself based on down and distance.

So again, no one knows anything. IF, and only IF, this is true and a DC has been hired prior to anyone even being fired or a HC being hired, I think we might be screwed.  Again....

Jesus people.  If you don't want in on the rumor IGNORE THE THEAD AND THIS WHOLE SECTION OF THE WEBSITE.  Rumors are entertaining for me to listen to.  It's not like we are taking these words with anything more than a grain a salt.  It's fun to speculate on, nothing more than that.  

5 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

So this is obviously another false rumor.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Which you know all about!!!

Unless it is posted on a message board by someone claiming to be a lawyer or claiming to be a former player we aren’t supposed to believe it.  Gary Sharp works with Damon Benning and we all know Damon doesn’t like Scott Frost (even though it’s been stated multiple times otherwise) so obviously this is just Sharps way of spreading the anti-Frost to Nebraska agenda.

8 minutes ago, epocSoN said:

Jesus people.  If you don't want in on the rumor IGNORE THE THEAD AND THIS WHOLE SECTION OF THE WEBSITE.  Rumors are entertaining for me to listen to.  It's not like we are taking these words with anything more than a grain a salt.  It's fun to speculate on, nothing more than that.  

It wasn't in the rumorville section right away...

I posted it here....

You're right. 

It is still listed in "Husker Football" from the home screen, because Rumorville is a subsection of it. My mistake.

I don't actually hate the rumors typically it is just starting to become draining. 

Sorry for being a prick.

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

You're right. 

It is still listed in "Husker Football" from the home screen, because Rumorville is a subsection of it. My mistake.

I don't actually hate the rumors typically it is just starting to become draining. 

Sorry for being a prick.

People's egos lead to this stuff. Everyone has a source these days. 

1 hour ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

He coached at New Hampshire with Chip Kelly. 

So now I'm going to quickly jump to the conclusion that the next Head Coach at Nebraska is going to be Chip Kelly.

I think this means Nebraska is hiring Matt Campbell as HC and getting Jason Candle as the OC. Getting the old gang back together again. /s

Alex Grinch is a good coach and I said in the Scott Frost thread the other day that he would be a good fit in Nebraska. I think you need to hire a HC coach first. 

I wouldn't hate this at all.  I've seen a handful of Wazzu games this year and while they're undersized, they can really run.  Would be interesting to see how his defense would translate to the Big Ten.

EDIT: The Rumor is that Scott is showing interest in hiring him as DC if he were to accept the NEB job.

That would make sense, because I expect UCF to hire their current DC as head coach, if Frost leaves.  I also wouldn't be shocked if Troy Walters sticks around as OC, so he can actually call plays at UCF.

It sounds like the prevailing feeling in the coaching community is that Frost will not bring some of his staff to Lincoln. Could be that feelers are being sent around to get an idea of who could follow him to Lincoln. I get the feeling that Moos would advocate having the best possible staff, and not just bringing in buddies like Mike did.

2 hours ago, jessica0 said:

People's egos lead to this stuff. Everyone has a source these days. 

Sucks when people get offended so easily, doesn't it?

21 minutes ago, epocSoN said:

That is interesting since his current DC Erik Chinander has a very good reputation and came with Frost from Oregon. He also spent some time coaching in Iowa. Maybe he's staying. I was definitely cool with Chinander coming along as DC, but I'll take Grinch in a heartbeat over him.

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That would make sense, because I expect UCF to hire their current DC as head coach, if Frost leaves.  I also wouldn't be shocked if Troy Walters sticks around as OC, so he can actually call plays at UCF.

I guess I should have read this before I posted, but I actually thought it would be the other way around, with Walters taking over as HC. Either way, if Frost comes it's not surprising if they both stay in Orlando.

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Would make for awkward coaches meetings at Washington St and UCF right now

More awkward than a typical meeting with Leach at Washington St?

2 hours ago, Sker4Ever said:

It sounds like the prevailing feeling in the coaching community is that Frost will not bring some of his staff to Lincoln. Could be that feelers are being sent around to get an idea of who could follow him to Lincoln. I get the feeling that Moos would advocate having the best possible staff, and not just bringing in buddies like Mike did.

I worry about this a bit.  The staff at UCF is on fire, there is nothing wrong with “bringing in the buddies” when they are all young coaches performing well. 

Grinch is a great DC and would be a good get. However, I would like to see Frost bring Chinander with him. I heard he is a good recruiter and he seems to have a pretty good defense. But Grinch is a great DC and will probably be moving into a bigger program soon.

3 hours ago, FlipPhone said:

I know it's business, but wouldn't hiring someone from WSU seem a little dirty?

Honestly, it would feel like we were going below the belt for Moos to gank Leach's DC.

That said, I'd get over it, dude is a quality DC that gets the most out of his players.

1 hour ago, C N Red said:

Ya, lets hire a DC before we hire a HC. Seems genius to me. Seriously, wtf!!!!????!!!

Pretty obvious we’ve already hired our new coach, when that’s going to be officially stated by the university depends on that coaches remaining schedule. So yeah, feelers for assistants very well could be out there

Ive also obviously married my soul mate other than the fact we are divorced. Dont be that cry baby if Frost doesnt come. Its far from a done deal.