My issues with the offensive line

BoNeyard

Yes the offensive line is horrible, it has been for years. Putting that aside, the one of the things that bothers me with the offensive line is the lack of brotherhood, I guess I would describe it? They express. They seemingly do not care that they get beat almost every single play. They seemingly don't care that Tanner Lee gets hit almost every single play. They seemingly don't care that we can't run the football.

The other thing is, Tanner Lee has been getting hit all the time. But what does Lee do? He gets up and he goes back out there and he continues to play. Say what we will about his talent, but at some point we don't really know Lee's talents because he does not have an offensive line to protect him. But regardless, Lee continues to get up, hit after hit, after hit. He was hurt last week thanks in large part to his offensive line not protecting him. Then here we are tonight, where his jersey is practically green getting knocked on the grass play after play, and I don't see the offensive line reaching out their hand to help him up. Really? This may be what really bothers me. The one man who is out there fighting like a warrior and is getting pummeled because of your seemingly lack of pride and care, and you can't reach an arm out to help the man up?

Forget the score, forget the terrible season. This is a mindset that needs to change, come together, show some pride and battle for each other. As the offensive line you are the heartbeat of a football team. Without an offensive line, you have.....4-8 type seasons.

• Plus1 4

13 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Yes the offensive line is horrible, it has been for years. Putting that aside, the one of the things that bothers me with the offensive line is the lack of brotherhood, I guess I would describe it? They express. They seemingly do not care that they get beat almost every single play. They seemingly don't care that Tanner Lee gets hit almost every single play. They seemingly don't care that we can't run the football.

The other thing is, Tanner Lee has been getting hit all the time. But what does Lee do? He gets up and he goes back out there and he continues to play. Say what we will about his talent, but at some point we don't really know Lee's talents because he does not have an offensive line to protect him. But regardless, Lee continues to get up, hit after hit, after hit. He was hurt last week thanks in large part to his offensive line not protecting him. Then here we are tonight, where his jersey is practically green getting knocked on the grass play after play, and I don't see the offensive line reaching out their hand to help him up. Really? This may be what really bothers me. The one man who is out there fighting like a warrior and is getting pummeled because of your seemingly lack of pride and care, and you can't reach an arm out to help the man up?

Forget the score, forget the terrible season. This is a mindset that needs to change, come together, show some pride and battle for each other. As the offensive line you are the heartbeat of a football team. Without an offensive line, you have.....4-8 type seasons.

I could easily see Lee excelling in the NFL with a real line in front of him.  I'd actually like to see that happen...more confirmation that this line (i.e. CAV) is terrible.

They are really good at standing there, or blocking the guy that your guard has, so that corner comes in on a blitz untouched and gets to Lee. Also, really good at starting to walk back to the huddle as the RB is still trying to fight for yards. Maybe it's all the hair getting in the way? Also, it seems like the damn shoulder pads keep riding up all the time, should look into getting that fixed, maybe that is the issue?

2 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

That is the worst line I have ever seen.  Today's performance was terrible.

As for Lee, he will be our highest rated NFL prospect when the season is over.  He has really impressed me with his improvement over the season.  I think that improvement would have been much more substantial with a line with some decent players with heart.  

Edited by southernoregonhusker

I've said it here before the 2017 started and since: It comes down to heart, pride, want, and effort--and this Nebraska team (save for a few players) has almost none of it.

Go to YouTube and listen to Gerald Foster's press conference following the loss to Wisconsin.  In that short presser, he unintentionally explains everything that is wrong with this team.  They simply do not care if they lose.  Some players care, obviously, but not nearly enough.

3 minutes ago, Blackshirts014 said:

The offensive line is not the main problem here. Its an overall culture issue and people need to chill out because the calling out of some of these kids is starting to go over the line imo. 

It is an overall culture issue, but it's the players who help create sustain that culture.  And while I agree that cursing and using profanities towards players is not acceptable, they are not snowflakes who deserve special treatment or to be handled with kid gloves just because they're in college.

They are scholarship athletes at P5 school and if they can take the praise for winning and playing well, then they can take the heat for losing and playing poorly.  They can't have it both ways. 

• Plus1 4