What did we learn?....Penn State

Saunders

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

In a related note, also the first time I quit watching back-to-back Husker games in my lifetime.

In a related note to your related note, this is the first season in 40 years where I didn't even bother watching or listening to the Huskers.  I'm not proud of this, but honestly watching this team beat like a damn drum every single week is depressing.

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

The media narrative of "Nebraska needs to give a coach time" needs to die. You'll get time, naturally, if you don't coach two losing seasons in 3 years, and the worst team in 50+ years. Lack of time isn't the problem at NU. Bad coaching, and lack of accountability is.

Not trying to trivialize what happened in any way, shape or form.

But the thought has crossed my mind: Did Sam Foltz's death unite and give the team a rallying point that helped them scratch and claw out a couple close wins last year (Indiana and Minnesota .... perhaps even Northwestern and Purdue) that, absent that focus, would have led to three straight non-winning seasons under Riley?

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not trying to trivialize what happened in any way, shape or form.

But the thought has crossed my mind: Did Sam Foltz's death unite and give the team a rallying point that helped them scratch and claw out a couple close wins last year (Indiana and Minnesota .... perhaps even Northwestern and Purdue) that, absent that focus, would have led to three straight non-winning seasons under Riley?

Yes and Yes.

• Plus1 1

I learned that there are some really nice PSU fans out there. I saw this on Facebook at halftime:

”Keep your heads up Huskers.  I’ll never forget how well your visiting fans treated us the first game after the scandal broke at PSU.  Probably the kindest fans I’ve ever met in College Football.  Here’s to hoping this game becomes what it’s supposed to be in the future.  Hope you get Scott Frost and no matter what, elevate you back to where you belong.“

Now that is cool. I remember that day so well. We saw a side of Bo that many of us had never seen before.  College football wants Nebraska back in the top 10 where they lived for so many years. GBR!

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

sad part...they are lucky to have 4 wins

Pythagoreon win expectation has Nebraska at 3.88 wins. So, based solely on points scored and allowed, Nebraska has approximately as many wins as to be expected.

It is sad, though. If that number were higher than expected, it would suggest Nebraska has been unlucky, rather than just bad.

I learned that Scott Frost said in his press conference, "That's just totally false," when asked about the rumors that he is the next :bigredn: coach.
The game meant absolutely nothing to me ... especially the second half.  No comment needed on the game.  MR will have a .500 record at :bigredn: after next week.
FYI, I would have lost my bet this week.  Was willing to put down $10K on this game.  Thought it would be a blowout.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know it’s probably a 1% chance at this point, but if Riley is brought back next season I might lay on the ground just uncontrollably sobbing.  This cannot continue. 

He all but told us he was gone in his postgame. There is less and less doubt that he's both gone and has known he's gone. 

I just can't get over how bad this team tackles.  The whole rugby thing is a smoke screen.

This DB group is the worst group of tacklers I've ever seen period.  The drop their hands, heads and shoulders nearly every time.

Theres even something wrong with the LBs.  They don't square up or look to create contact.  They want to get to the side or chase the ball carrier.

There is no doubt in my mind they are just soft.  I believe they are trying to minimize contact.  The kids tackle in the game like it "touch".  The don't hit the ball carrier and the reach a lot.  They are replicating practice.

Newby had a decent stick in the first half where you could actually see him stop and dive at the waste instead of close the distance.  You couldn't see it real time, but it was odd in slow mo.

Edited by gobiggergoredder
5 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

FYI, I would have lost my bet this week.  Was willing to put down $10K on this game.  Thought it would be a blowout.

I said it would be a comfortable win and not a blowout. Of course I had very little to go on, but that hasn't stopped others from claiming victory on this site.

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

I just can't get over how bad this team tackles.  The whole rugby thing is a smoke screen.

This DB group is the worst group of tacklers I've ever seen period.  The drop their hands, heads and shoulders nearly every time.

Theres even something wrong with the LBs.  They don't square up or look to create contact.  They want to get to the side or chase the ball carrier.

There is no doubt in my mind they are just soft.  I believe they are trying to minimize contact.  The kids tackle in the game like it "touch".  The don't hit the ball carrier and the reach a lot.  Newby had a decent stick in the first half where you could actually see him stop and dive at the waste instead of close the distance.  You couldn't see it real time, but it was odd in slow mo.

The tackling is absolutely attrocious. The DB’s just throwing shoulders or diving at ankles is what kids do who don’t want to do what it takes to make a solid tackle. I didn’t play a lot of football, but I played enough to know that sometimes it hurts to make a proper tackle.  I can’t remember I saw a Husker defender attack a ball carrier’s knees/thighs and wrap up.  Its anything but that and it shouldn’t be blamed on rugby tackling. 

• Plus1 1