Penn State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

6 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

BOOM!  The truth has been spoken.  This team has been fragile for years now.  Whenever things turn bad, they bury their heads.  That happened when Pelini was here too.  A total overhaul of the program is needed.

I'm sure you'd like to believe this because you're one of the last Riley hold-outs still trying to dream up excuses but this comparison is laughable.

As evidenced by trying to draw that conclusion from two of the individuals most directly tied to Riley.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure you'd like to believe this because you're one of the last Riley hold-outs still trying to dream up excuses but this comparison is laughable.

As evidenced by trying to draw that conclusion from two of the individuals most directly tied to Riley.

First, I'm not a Riley hold out. I said weeks ago I wanted him gone.  Second, I said what I said because it is what I witnessed.  Some folks have forgotten the Pelini losses.  Specifically the blowouts.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

First, I'm not a Riley hold out. I said weeks ago I wanted him gone.  Second, I said what I said because it is what I witnessed.  Some folks have forgotten the Pelini losses.  Specifically the blowouts.  

Yep.  You like to focus on one or two games per year that fit your narrative and ignore the rest.

• Plus1 3

37 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  You like to focus on one or two games per year that fit your narrative and ignore the rest.

What are you even accusing him of, exactly? Are you disagreeing that our football program has had extremely weak mental fortitude under the last two coaching staffs? Of course not every game fits that "narrative", but both staffs have their own exceptions.

Pelini's teams were mental headcases in games like 2012 Ohio State and Wisconsin, 2011 Wisconsin and Michigan, 2010 Texas A&M and Washington, 2013 Iowa and 2014 Wisconsin. But, Pelini's teams also showed toughness and grit and resolve in games like 2011 Ohio State and 2012 Wisconsin the first time.

Riley's teams were mental headcases in games like 2016 Ohio State and 2017 everything. But, Riley's teams also showed toughness and grit and resolve in games like 2015 Miami, and 2016 and 2017 Oregon.

The program's snake-bit-edness has transcended the last four coaching staffs now. Who the hell has any idea how to fix it, or where it's even coming from?

• Plus1 2

The players seem to play the same under Pelini and Riley. We get blown out and just cave, or we get blown out early and come roaring back.  Riley had a huge come-back win against UCLA and nearly did it against Oregon & Penn State.  Pelini got blown out a few times but the team came roaring back against 2011 Ohio State & 2012 Wisconsin.  There are plenty of parallels.

Maybe it's not *necessarily* a Pelini problem and not *necessarily* a Riley problem.  Maybe it's something else? 

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What are you even accusing him of, exactly? Are you disagreeing that our football program has had extremely weak mental fortitude under the last two coaching staffs? Of course not every game fits that "narrative", but both staffs have their own exceptions.

Pelini's teams were mental headcases in games like 2012 Ohio State and Wisconsin, 2011 Wisconsin and Michigan, 2010 Texas A&M and Washington, 2013 Iowa and 2014 Wisconsin. But, Pelini's teams also showed toughness and grit and resolve in games like 2011 Ohio State and 2012 Wisconsin the first time.

Riley's teams were mental headcases in games like 2016 Ohio State and 2017 everything. But, Riley's teams also showed toughness and grit and resolve in games like 2015 Miami, and 2016 and 2017 Oregon.

The program's snake-bit-edness has transcended the last four coaching staffs now. Who the hell has any idea how to fix it, or where it's even coming from?

I think a lot of the time labeling a team as "mentally weak" based on a cherry-picked game here and there is a lazy way to try to create an exaggerated narrative when you don't like the results.  It can be true but it is used way more often than is actually true.  And is usually created by focusing on one or two games that fit the narrative and ignoring several others that don't fit it.

Specifically, he said "whenever things turn bad, they bury their heads."  This is patently false and is only used to try to drive the narrative.  Then he implies that the level of it has been the same for years.  In addition to the obvious fact that the overall results have varied SIGNIFICANTLY over those years, it also ignores what actually went on during the individual games.  

Just because it happens every now and then to almost any team doesn't mean the level that it happens is the same, which was what was implied.  Are we also going to say that Ohio State is a mentally weak team because Iowa beat them by 30?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The players seem to play the same under Pelini and Riley. We get blown out and just cave, or we get blown out early and come roaring back

I'm not sure if there are any other options for any team.

Riley had a huge come-back win against UCLA and nearly did it against Oregon & Penn State.  Pelini got blown out a few times but the team came roaring back against 2011 Ohio State & 2012 Wisconsin.  There are plenty of parallels.

Maybe it's not *necessarily* a Pelini problem and not *necessarily* a Riley problem.  Maybe it's something else? 

Again, it happens on both sides for just about any team.  There are examples both ways.

But I don't think the frequency is anywhere close,  So kind of lumping them together doesn't really seem appropriate.  From that kind of 30,000 foot view just about every team would be considered to be the same.