Penn State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

Just now, brophog said:

I admit it. I was a fan both times.  I even watched all the games. Sometimes I watched and listened to the radio. 

Most of us have been fans the whole time, regardless of coach, Athletic Director or roster.  We just want the team to do well, and everyone to be happy. 

It's the hot-take artists who think they need to build a reputation online that get really into bashing coaches, or players, or Athletic Directors... or even Chancellors (which I've always thought was crazypants talk). 

We'll move on from Riley and I'll hope the next coach does well here, just like I hoped Riley would do well, and Pelini, and Callahan, and Solich...

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The players seem to play the same under Pelini and Riley. We get blown out and just cave, or we get blown out early and come roaring back.  Riley had a huge come-back win against UCLA and nearly did it against Oregon & Penn State.  Pelini got blown out a few times but the team came roaring back against 2011 Ohio State & 2012 Wisconsin.  There are plenty of parallels.

Maybe it's not *necessarily* a Pelini problem and not *necessarily* a Riley problem.  Maybe it's something else? 

Nearly came back against Penn St? I must have missed that game.

• Plus1 5
Just now, Mavric said:

I'm not sure if there are any other options for any team.

Again, it happens on both sides for just about any team.  There are examples both ways.

But I don't think the frequency is anywhere close,  So kind of lumping them together doesn't really seem appropriate.  From that kind of 30,000 foot view just about every team would be considered to be the same.

Someone with time and an inclination to do the work could maybe find some interesting stats in comparing the percentage of halftime leads, halftime deficits, second-half points and comeback wins in the Riley Era vs. the Pelini Era.  I'm guessing the differences would be negligible.

Part of the quote from Lamar Jackson:

But I just feel like we break under pressure or guys just flat-out can’t win an individual matchup."

No different than Corey Raymonds "Look at them and look at us" quote after getting beat bu Carolina in the bowl game.  

IMHO, this is nothing new.  The Huskers have been on the softer side of the mental and physical battle for years.  beat the teams we should (struggling now), 50/50 against teams with a pulse (getting worse) and completely mud holed by good teams (really worse)........

The new coach, whomever it is, needs to spend spring ball just instilling a Don't friggin Quit (DFQ) attitude.  My goal, would be to truly break them all down,  and build them back up into one unit.  That puts team above self as a priority.  Learn to trust the staff and each other.....You don't like it?  Quit now, not on the field and not on the team and sure as hell to during a game.  Turn your schollie  in at the door on your way out....Accountability to the team, university, staff, state and fans......It's really that simple.   

Frost seems to have similar views that he learned form TO:

Then there’s Osborne, whose impact can be seen in every aspect of Frost’s program at UCF. His offense has woven in pieces of Osborne’s scheme at Nebraska. The way the Knights practice, lift weights, train, compete — all are borrowed from Osborne’s blueprint. The feeling is mutual: Osborne “thinks the world of” Frost, said White.

As player, Frost would hear from Osborne if he didn’t cut block on the Cornhuskers’ toss plays or went out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulder along the sideline. As a coach, he finds himself echoing Osborne’s message: The first thing UCF skill players learn, for example, isn’t route trees but blocking schemes.

“I think those things have given us an edge, and those are definitely things that we’ve gotten from Nebraska,” Frost said. “I think the toughness that he brought to our program — making our team go live in the week, making it competitive, emphasizing everybody, including the quarterback, being tough — those things rubbed off on me.”

Edited by lo country
  • Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Most of us have been fans the whole time, regardless of coach, Athletic Director or roster.  We just want the team to do well, and everyone to be happy. 

It's the hot-take artists who think they need to build a reputation online that get really into bashing coaches, or players, or Athletic Directors... or even Chancellors (which I've always thought was crazypants talk). 

We'll move on from Riley and I'll hope the next coach does well here, just like I hoped Riley would do well, and Pelini, and Callahan, and Solich...

Then we all agree I'm exonerated from any perceptible correlation. You guys all read it.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Someone with time and an inclination to do the work could maybe find some interesting stats in comparing the percentage of halftime leads, halftime deficits, second-half points and comeback wins in the Riley Era vs. the Pelini Era.  I'm guessing the differences would be negligible.

Since one coach won over 70% of the time and the other won right at 50% of the time, I think there would be a significant difference.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Since one coach won over 70% of the time and the other won right at 50% of the time, I think there would be a significant difference.

We're not talking about bulk wins, we're talking about the picking-and-choosing games where Nebraska "caved" or Nebraska "came back."

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I remember a number of comeback wins in the Pelini era. In 2009, NU game back against Missouri in the rain with all those 4th quarter points.  In 2012 alone, NU went on a 6 game winning streak to capture the division title, and that includes huge comeback wins over Northwestern and Michigan State.  I’m sure I’m missing some others, but I’m drinking some whiskey and can’t quite remember right now. 

• Plus1 3

Pelini wasn’t fired because he was a bad coach he had a much higher winning percentage than Riley or Callahan. He made mad faces, had some bad conduct and made people uncomfortable but his players we’re loyal to him and played hard . This is a terrible coaching staff , the players deserve better, and I’m glad we’ll be moving on soon ! 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Mavric said:

So the only way to measure mental toughness is looking at games where we got behind by some arbitrary number?

Mav, this was about your reply to southernoregonhusker. It's right up there in this thread.  I'm not on your side and I'm not on his side (and frankly I don't know why you're on him about this anyway) I'm just opining that there may be a similar percentage of games in the Pelini Era vs. the Riley Era where the Huskers got down big and "caved," and got down big and clawed their way back.

I'm not throwing my hat in the ring in this face-off between you and southernoregonhusker. I'm just making an observation. 

I'm equally pro-Pelini as I am pro-Riley.  I wanted them both to succeed because if they did, the Huskers would win.  Don't read anything else into that.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

So the only way to measure mental toughness is looking at games where we got behind by some arbitrary number?

I agree that it’s tough to give NU credit for mental toughness for “almost coming back” against Oregon and Penn State this year. Oregon maybe, but not Penn State. Penn State was ahead by 3 scores from the middle of the 2nd quarter thru the final minutes of the game.  That’s an ass-whipping, not a comeback.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that it’s tough to give NU credit for mental toughness for “almost coming back” against Oregon and Penn State this year. Oregon maybe, but not Penn State. Penn State was ahead by 3 scores from the middle of the 2nd quarter thru the final minutes of the game.  That’s an ass-whipping, not a comeback.

That is an ass whipping. And it's not like we really had a chance to win that game, because if Penn State put their Big Boy faces back on and stopped trying to get out of there, they could have named their score.  So could Oregon, probably. 

But it's not for nothing that we scored big points in the second half against both Oregon & Penn State after getting boat raced in the first half.  It means something - maybe not much of something.  And I don't know what it means, other than the team didn't quit.  They certainly did quit against Ohio State. 

The narrative that needs to die is not that these teams haven’t been mentally tough, although I don’t think that has been the primary problem. It is more that they just haven’t been coached up, prepared well and taught how to accomplish the coaches vision. Part of that is the apparent lack of vision and direction. The whole Riley tenure has been nothing but throw sh#t against the wall and see what sticks. The problems during the Pelini years were more more mental and also coach induced. When Bo lost his composure the team lost theirs.

Back to the point, the narrative that needs to die is that this team is somehow other worldly snake bit or some such hogwash. That isn’t a thing guys. Our problems can be solved with good coaching and leadership. It’s that simple and we just haven’t had it. A good coach will instill the right mindset in his players. As bad as our fundamentals and execution have been the biggest thing lacking has been teamwork and laying it on the line for the guy next to you. Commitment and desire. A good coach will mold and nurture that while also teaching the X’s and O’s and properly preparing the team for success. It’s not snakebit it’s just that we’ve been 4x losers on coach selection and timing. Plus it’s impossible to get where you’re going if you are constantly changing directions. It’s simple, all we need is some good leadership and coaching. Once we have that we can finally work on building the program back up with consistency and stability. You can’t build on a shaky foundation and that is all we’ve had.