Transition question

The most likely scenario is that Uncle Moose fires Riley on the Monday after the game.

SI reports that UNL has a deal with Scott Frost. Is Frost then announced as the new head coach? Or does he finish the season at UCF? 

Or does UNL go without a coaching staff until UCF finishes the season?

What about recruiting after Friday? 

• Plus1 1

Riley won't make it through the weekend.  They have to send the message as quickly as possible.  I kind of think the Rileys post game presser after the Iowa loss will give a little away.

They won't announce Frost until his conference championship is done.  He does not want to take focus from his players.   UNL also can't wait on this, so this announcement  would be the following Sunday.

I have no inside info, just how I see this going down.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

then I guess you're rooting for a coach that is not currently coaching or one that isnt bowl bound...  Either way.... I dont want THAT coach...

NU can easily hire a coach that is currently coaching and their team that is going to a bowl.  IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

For example, if it's Frost, they will probably delay the announcement until after the American Conference Championship Game (if UCF beats USF on Friday after Thanksgiving).  So, we are looking at early December to officially name a coach.  I think NU will request the coach to start right away, so that coach probably won't be coaching in that team's bowl game.  There are special circumstances where NU may allow the coach to do the bowl prep and do that job for one more game, but it would have to be a special circumstance.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

The one thing I'm gonna hate about this whole transition is the number of lost recruiting days. Recruiting is 70 days long, from Nov 26 through Feb 3.

This issue is compounded this year with the new early signing day in early DEC. Many targets might be off the board to recruit.

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

then I guess you're rooting for a coach that is not currently coaching or one that isnt bowl bound...  Either way.... I dont want THAT coach...

If it's Frost, he will not coach his team in their bowl or do so as the Huskers coach with NU's permission. 

USF isn't a giveaway. CF loses next weekend and Frost is your coach next Monday. 

4 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

For $35 million, Frost better get to Lincoln immediately after the conference championship game.

I think Uncle Moose seperates Riley on Monday but keeps the assistants for recruiting. Maybe pay a retention bonus.

I agree that it would be best if Frost was able to be 100% Nebraska right after the conference championship game, but if NU wants him bad enough, there are things that can be done to appease him.  Frost and NU would be able to have a split coaching staff during this transition period, and Frost can hand off most of the UCF bowl prep to his assistant coaches.  NU can let Frost coach the bowl game, as the recruiting dead period would be in effect the end of December and early January.  I understand that the early signing period is now important, but things can be done so that December isn't a complete lost cause.

We don't actually know if it's Frost.

If it is, he'll coach his team's bowl game and the 100 assistants in the NU athletic department will keep the ship running. Who knows, maybe he'll do some recruiting......in Florida.....since he's already there. If AD Moos has already picked his coach then he could chip in too since he wouldn't have anybody to meet at 3:30.

Hope this helped.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that it would be best if Frost was able to be 100% Nebraska right after the conference championship game, but if NU wants him bad enough, there are things that can be done to appease him.  Frost and NU would be able to have a split coaching staff during this transition period, and Frost can hand off most of the UCF bowl prep to his assistant coaches.  NU can let Frost coach the bowl game, as the recruiting dead period would be in effect the end of December and early January.  I understand that the early signing period is now important, but things can be done so that December isn't a complete lost cause.

This !  The comment that we won't have a coach until the first of the year is absurd.  The next coach will be in place very soon (2nd week of December at very latest !  Apparently the poster doesn't understand "recruiting" and how everything works.  There are numerous examples of coaches being hired as their team prepares for a bowl game.  Frost could be the HC and Nebraska and being "present' when UCF plays in a bowl.  I don't see Frost "abandoning" UCF prior to bowl.  Nebraska will allow him to recruit, put staff in place, and ALSO help UCF prepare for bowl.  Frost DESERVES the chance to coach his team in a New Year's 6 (if they make it).  Only way this could NOT happen is if UCF gets butt hurt and won't allow him too.

• Plus1 4