Hypothetical: How does Tanner Lee's skillset translate....

Cdog923

...to any potential spread offenses we may switch to? More to the point; to a spread that doesn't emphasize the QB run game, but still features it? I know he left Tulane due to Willie Fritz's emphasis on QB run/zone read, but his offense thus far has featured QB run game much more heavily than the style/type of offense that I might have in mind. 

I think Tanner has a mildly compelling case to go pro this year, but if he were to acclimatize himself and excel in any new offense next year, he could bolster wherever his stock may currently be at. 

Obviously people have differing opinions, but I think he could be utilized in a spread offense. He can run, enough to get a first down on a wide open zone read. Alot of times when he doesn't get the ball out quickly it's a max protection long developing pattern. Won't see those in a spread offense. He has the flick of the wrist delivery to be quick with the ball if coached right. I don't think he's the best QB on our roster for the spread game, but I think he could compete for the starting spot if he really got after it. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Terribly. He's not particularly athletic so the threat of QB run is not really there.

Also not convinced that he's really accurate to complete short quick passes nor make good quick decisions.

You have been really negative about anything to do with Riley or people he's brought in and been obnoxiously negative about Tanner in the game threads as well. I'm no Riley apologist and parted ways with giving him another year after Wisconsin but jeez you act as if the guy boinked your lady or something.

He won't be here next year and Tanner likely won't either so ragging on Lee is kind of pointless now. He is a physically gifted player put in a crap spot that has the gunslinger gene but not always having the right decision making process to go with it. End of story.

Edited by Army_Allen
  • Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

You have been really negative about anything to do with Riley or people he's brought in

So you're saying I've been right for quite awhile.  Thanks. :thumbs

7 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

and been obnoxiously negative about Tanner in the game threads as well. I'm no Riley apologist and parted ways with giving him another year after Wisconsin but jeez you act as if the guy boinked your lady or something.

He won't be here next year and Tanner likely won't either so ragging on Lee is kind of pointless now. He is a physically gifted player put in a crap spot that has the gunslinger gene but not always having the right decision making process to go with it. End of story.

I don't go in the game threads much and my main targets are Langs and Diaco so I think you're maybe making the first part up.

I'm not even really ragging on him.  I'm just pointing out the obvious.  He's been average at best in a system that is supposed to be perfect for him.  We're #71 in the country in completion percentage, #49 in yards per attempt and #67 in QB rating while being #115 in the country in fewest INTs thrown.  Those are all objective numbers - nothing to do with my opinion of him.  He has shown little mobility and - I contend - below-average pocket presence.  I don't know why anyone would expect him to do any better in a system that would ask him to do things that are not among his better traits.

• Plus1 3

How does he translate as a pro-set QB?  Thats more relevant than how he would in a spread set.  He hasn't really won anything as a pro set QB.  How in the world would this guy even comprehend a spread set?  He is, who he is!  The same guy who lost his starting job at Tulane.

I think he should go pro, or sit the pine next season.  Thats his options.  Go to the NFL combine and throw the ball, and wait and see.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So you're saying I've been right for quite awhile.  Thanks. :thumbs

I don't go in the game threads much and my main targets are Langs and Diaco so I think you're maybe making the first part up.

I'm not even really ragging on him.  I'm just pointing out the obvious.  He's been average at best in a system that is supposed to be perfect for him.  We're #71 in the country in completion percentage, #49 in yards per attempt and #67 in QB rating while being #115 in the country in fewest INTs thrown.  Those are all objective numbers - nothing to do with my opinion of him.  He has shown little mobility and - I contend - below-average pocket presence.  I don't know why anyone would expect him to do any better in a system that would ask him to do things that are not among his better traits.

What are those stats after the first 4 games? He's improved markedly. And I'm not fishing through threads to find exact quotes, just noticed you specifically ragging on him. I don't think he'd be a perfect fit for a spread either but as a pro prospect he has the tangibles to have a late round flyer for sure.

He's been tough physically and mentally here with the line and fan hate and has an obnoxiously quick release and great arm strength. I just think the issues he had during his time here were more than just on him and the line was more of a hindrance than you care to admit.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

What are those stats after the first 4 games? He's improved markedly. And I'm not fishing through threads to find exact quotes, just noticed you specifically ragging on him. I don't think he'd be a perfect fit for a spread either but as a pro prospect he has the tangibles to have a late round flyer for sure.

He's been tough physically and mentally here with the line and fan hate and has an obnoxiously quick release and great arm strength. I just think the issues he had during his time here were more than just on him and the line was more of a hindrance than you care to admit.

So improving means not leading a competent offense until we are down by 35?   Dude was straight awful for the first half, he didn't complete a pass for 17 game minutes.  And that's because he's so good? Why does it take him until he plays against the second team defense to succeed? 7, 3 and outs, 7!  

• Plus1 1

Here's something to take into consideration: he's playing behind what is probably the worst offensive line in modern program history. There's no threat of a running game, the OTs rarely can sustain a clean pocket, and the entirety of the left side of the line should be replaced next year. 

I think that Lee can be successful if given ample time in the pocket to read progressions. There's virtually no run component to his game, though, and I think that's what would ultimately sink or swim his opportunity to start in a spread system. 

If you don’t read defenses well and you throw a lot of interceptions the NFL won’t be calling. 

Just think back throughout this season and try to remember all the balls that have been dropped by the defenses. We hear a lot of talk (which is true) about how many balls our receivers have dropped, but there have been A LOT of sure interceptions that have been dropped. Many times it almost looks like the defender is shocked to see the ball thrown there. 

I appreciate how he’s played this year. He’s truly taken a beating and never seems to complain. I just don’t see it working in the NFL.