Hypothetical: How does Tanner Lee's skillset translate....

Cdog923

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't disagree with you regarding Gebbia, he has the chance to be great under Frost's offense.  I just hope he would be big enough and durable enough. I haven't seen anything on Locksley, but he looks to be a big dude who is skilled and athletic.

Completely fair reservation to have, I guess I missed thinking about that. He would definitely need to either bulk up or avoid hits. Though even if we had a bigger guy who was deemed more durable I think I would want them avoiding hits as well. You love a tough guy who seeks out contact as a runner, until it's your QB and he gets himself hurt. Honestly I don't think it will matter much who we put back there. If Frost thinks he is the best guy he will likely perform very well. Frost is really the QB whisperer.

14 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

First of all you are overblowing the run aspect of Frosts offense. Milton Mckenzie averages less than 5 yards a carry most games and hasn't had a big rushing game since Memphis. Go look at his stats, he isn't a huge threat in the run game. Gebbia is athletic enough to run this offense. Just because he was labeled a pocket passer out of high school doesn't mean he doesn't have mobility. He does, plenty enough to run the Frost offense

I'll preface this by saying that I think Gebbia has the highest ceiling in terms of QBs on the roster, and I would prefer to see him start next year, even if Lee is here. That being said, Milton is UCF's second leading rusher in terms of both carries and yardage, so yes, the QB totes the rock. And yes, Gebbia is mobile, but not mobile enough to be successful in the type of offense that Frost would prefer to run (POB has, by far, the most experience running the ball, at least in terms of background). Scott will have to tailor his O (barring any Juco QBs) to use less QB run game next year because there's no one who can fully utilize that part of his offense. 

Edited by Cdog923

9 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll preface this by saying that I think Gebbia has the highest ceiling in terms of QBs on the roster, and I would prefer to see him start next year, even if Lee is here. That being said, Milton is UCF's second leading rusher in terms of both carries and yardage, so yes, the QB totes the rock. And yes, Gebbia is mobile, but not mobile enough to be successful in the type of offense that Frost would prefer to run (POB has, by far, the most experience running the ball, at least in terms of background). Scott will have to tailor his O (barring any Juco QBs) to use less QB run game next year because there's no one who can fully utilize that part of his offense. 

I think you're wrong man. Milton averages 7 carries and 35 yards a game. Gebbia is mobile enough to pull that off especially when it will likely be open when he pulls it to run. That's the great thing about option QB runs, 5 yards is typically already given just by play design. We will all see next year. You may be right about POB being the better fit, but I truly think the offense would run just as well with Gebbia as pretty much anyone else. (I think at the end of the day being able to throw is a more important skill in the Frost offense) 

Edited by Nebfanatic
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think you're wrong man. Milton averages 7 carries and 35 yards a game. Gebbia is mobile enough to pull that off especially when it will likely be open when he pulls it to run. That's the great thing about option QB runs, 5 yards is typically already given just by play design. We will all see next year. You may be right about POB being the better fit, but I truly think the offense would run just as well with Gebbia as pretty much anyone else. 

I honestly hope so, because I've been in camp Gebbia since he committed. 

Here's the rushing stats for UCF for the year: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/central-florida/2017.html

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I honestly hope so, because I've been in camp Gebbia since he committed. 

Here's the rushing stats for UCF for the year: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/central-florida/2017.html

I have that exact page open in another tab lol. You may be right and if you are he is gone because he does have a bright future as a starter somewhere. I'm likely just spouting wishful thinking. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1

Before the season started he was a first round pick...read between the line here.

At the end of the season....a late round pick.

Even when considering our poor O Line, I was disappointed to see his accuracy fell extremely short of the preseason hype.

Edited by adc7236
14 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

What are those stats after the first 4 games? He's improved markedly. And I'm not fishing through threads to find exact quotes, just noticed you specifically ragging on him. I don't think he'd be a perfect fit for a spread either but as a pro prospect he has the tangibles to have a late round flyer for sure.

He's been tough physically and mentally here with the line and fan hate and has an obnoxiously quick release and great arm strength. I just think the issues he had during his time here were more than just on him and the line was more of a hindrance than you care to admit.

From the Tanner Lee Progression thread:

On 11/1/2017 at 11:51 AM, QMany said:

Lumping those 4 games together might not tell the entire story.

ILLINOIS: 17/24 (71%), 246 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 94.9 QBR.

tOSU: 23/38, 303 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 50.1 QBR.

But in the first half, versus tOSU's starters: 12/24 (50%), 96 yards, only 4 First Downs, 1 Turnover on Downs, 0 points.

WISCONSIN: 16/32 (50%), 262 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (Red Zone pick-six), 45.5 QBR.

PURDUE: 32/50 (64%), 431 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 65.0 QBR.

Before the last 3 possessions: 17/30 (57%), 257 yards, 0 TD.

Thankfully, Purdue appeared to play Prevent the last 3 possessions:  15/20 (75%), 174 yards, 2 TD. Great comeback win!

Since that post:

NORTHWESTERN: 21/38 (55%), 225 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT (one in 4Q Red Zone), 21.0 QBR. His offense scored 17 points all game.

MINNESOTA: 13/18 (72%), 174 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 97.7 QBR. Played first half only, his offense scored 14 points.

PENN STATE: 26/41 (63%), 399 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 55.7 QBR.

But in the first half, versus PSU starters: 7/19 (37%), 72 yards, 0 TD. 10 points, 6 punts, and 67 yards of total offense.

It appears he's played well against Illinois, Purdue, first half Minnesota, and 2nd & 3rd string defenses with the game well out of reach. 

That's not good, but I guess that is technically improvement compared to abysmal performances against Oregon, Northern Illinois, and Rutgers. :koolaid2:

Edited by QMany
  • Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Again why would he leave if he is the odds on favorite to start in an offense that makes QBs look great and obviously isn't a hindrance to going to the NFL (Marriota) Maybe his parents only trusted Riley and don't want their son coached by Frost. Otherwise I don't see why he would leave. His opportunity will be bigger with Frost at the helm. 

Because he came to learn the pro offense from Riley.   He won't get that training next season.