Mike Riley’s Final Pre-Game Talk

Men:

It is no secret that this is my final game as your head coach here at Nebraska. Not only is it my final game here, it probably ends my career in football. Since  I was your age, my entire work life has been football and I have loved nearly every minute of it. I’ve had my ups and downs, but the downs have been few. And the pay and perks have been great.

I asked myself what would motivate this team. Hatred for the bordering state of Iowa is foolishness. Trying to win the vaunted Hy-Vee Heroes Trophy has no appeal to you. That’s all fake. The grocery store paid big bucks for the commercial access to us and we gladly took their money to feed the financial beast that is the athletic department.

I could also do the old “win one for the Gipper” speech by Knute Rockne. We had our own George Gipp with Sam Foltz. We honored Sam’s memory last year. Today one thing I want you to keep in mind is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Sam was driving home to his beloved Nebraska when he was killed in a car wreck. So today I urge you to play with all of your heart and leave nothing on the field. Any one of us could die tomorrow. Give it your best effort. In the words of A.E. Housman, “And early though the laurel grows/ It withers quicker than the rose.”

Given my many years coaching football I have learned motivation comes from within. So, to borrow a phrase, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”

Play for yourselves. Play for your teammates. Play for your families. Be greedy out there. 

I came to  Nebraska out of my own self-interest. I was paid a fortune. I moved to Lincoln with the best intentions but it didn’t work out. But I won’t be wondering where my next meal comes from on Saturday. As you go through life, think about what’s personally best for you and your family.

Today your self-interest lies with beating Iowa. Let’s do it as a team.

• Plus1 2

45 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Men: Lads

It is no secret that this is my final game as your head coach here at Nebraska. Not only is it my final game here, it probably ends my career in football. Since  I was your age, my entire work life has been football and I have loved nearly every minute of it. I’ve had my ups and downs, but the downs have been few. And the pay and perks have been great.

I asked myself what would motivate this team. Hatred for the bordering state of Iowa is foolishness. Trying to win the vaunted Hy-Vee Heroes Trophy has no appeal to you. That’s all fake. The grocery store paid big bucks for the commercial access to us and we gladly took their money to feed the financial beast that is the athletic department. 

Win my last game,gosh golly lads.

I could also do the old “win one for the Gipper” speech by Knute Rockne. We had our own George Gipp with Sam Foltz. We honored Sam’s memory last year. Today one thing I want you to keep in mind is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Sam was driving home to his beloved Nebraska when he was killed in a car wreck. So today I urge you to play with all of your heart and leave nothing on the field. Any one of us could die tomorrow. Give it your best effort. In the words of A.E. Housman, “And early though the laurel grows/ It withers quicker than the rose.”

Given my many years coaching football I have learned motivation comes from within. So, to borrow a phrase, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”

Play for yourselves. Play for your teammates. Play for your families. Be greedy out there.  Try your best so we can do one more hip hip hooray.

I came to  Nebraska out of my own self-interest. I was paid a fortune. I moved to Lincoln with the best intentions but it didn’t work out. But I won’t be wondering where my next meal comes from on Saturday. As you go through life, think about what’s personally best for you and your family.

Today your self-interest lies with beating Iowa. Let’s do it as a team, so we can do a hip hip hooray for a long time!

I think I fixed it for ya. 

1 minute ago, Gage County said:

The state constitution doesn't apply here, only to official state business.

You're the Bob Diaco of Nebraska Constitutional law. I can see the strain.

The strain is spectacular.  There is no reasonable reason, at this point in the constitutional lesson, that anyone should have an understanding of it.  The strain is great.  Can you see it?  Or, no?