Why are reporters not going after one of root problems= Mark Philipp

..the LJS and OWH select reporters have been covering football for years, some a decade now, I wonder why Mark Phillip is being glossed over..

...just one object example is Our O Line...perhaps 40% body fat..? virtually NO core (butt, thigh ) power and absolutely unacceptable upper body strength...and why in the world are senior lineman  on the pine and young weak players starting..? It appears in Division 1 Big ten football, it take 4 years to build, physically, a offensive and defensive lineman powerful enough to compete..Rfreshm and sophomore starters all over the place..? The whole Development process is so broken in every way..when a man, specifically a lineman, who has been in the program 4-5 years is on the bench..something is seriously amiss..

• Plus1 2

Good point.   Back in the pipeline days, we had many 5th year seniors on that line - they red shirted and built up strength.   The anemic rushing yards can be tied back to not only active coaching but to our strength program.   We can have race cars in the back field but without bulldozers in front, those cars aren't going anywhere. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

The guys on the other teams hit the weight room, too.  It's not like the 1980s when Nebraska was one of the few teams dedicating major time to building strength.

I know we all like to armchair quarterback everything about the team, but unless we're in the weight room with Philipp and the players, it's possible we wouldn't know what we're talking about with threads like this.

All we have is the eye test.

• Plus1 2

Could just be the result of a flawed system.  We think of linemen and remember what guys like weigert looked like, so that's what all linemen should be.  Riley and Callahan both have different visions of what the ideal linemen should be.   Regardless, this squad is unimpressive from a physical standpoint and that has to be a result of poor work ethic in the weight room and at the training table.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The guys on the other teams hit the weight room, too.  It's not like the 1980s when Nebraska was one of the few teams dedicating major time to building strength.

I know we all like to armchair quarterback everything about the team, but unless we're in the weight room with Philipp and the players, it's possible we wouldn't know what we're talking about with threads like this.

Of course we don't know....but when you look at the O line, it certainly does not pass the eye test.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Depressed Husker said:

..the LJS and OWH select reporters have been covering football for years, some a decade now, I wonder why Mark Phillip is being glossed over..

...just one object example is Our O Line...perhaps 40% body fat..? virtually NO core (butt, thigh ) power and absolutely unacceptable upper body strength...and why in the world are senior lineman  on the pine and young weak players starting..? It appears in Division 1 Big ten football, it take 4 years to build, physically, a offensive and defensive lineman powerful enough to compete..Rfreshm and sophomore starters all over the place..? The whole Development process is so broken in every way..when a man, specifically a lineman, who has been in the program 4-5 years is on the bench..something is seriously amiss..

Do you know that Wisconsin starts 2 RS So and 1 RS Fr on their offensive line?

• Plus1 3

Not that it matters much, but my wife actually sat next to a relative of his (maybe an uncle?) on a flight back to Lincoln a month or so ago and had a good conversation with him. She said he seemed like a good guy, but knew at that point that things were not looking good for the staff to stay.

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Remember when Bo brought in Dobson and people were excited about what he'd done with Iowa's team and specifically the O Line?  And then toward the end of Bo's time here, Dobson was getting blamed for the team's poor fitness - especially the O Line?

Then, when Mark Philipp was hired, most people didn't know his name but were on board with it and excited about his credentials.  But now that the team is struggling, it's time to rip on the S&C coach again because... reasons.

And let's not forget that Boyd Eppley returned to Nebraska and lots of people were excited about that, and he's been here throughout the Philipp era and has been heavily involved in S&C across all sports.  And nobody's complaining about the Volleyball team's fitness when they outlast opponents in four- or five-game matches in large part because they're more physically fit than the opponent.

But I'm sure all of that is balderdash, and we should just rely on the eye test, which has never been known to fail us. 

For those of us old enough to recall, I sometimes wonder if we shouldn’t be looking into the mental fitness we once were invested in. 

http://omahamagazine.com/articles/tag/dr-jack-stark/

Edited by TAKODA
(Sp)
1 minute ago, TAKODA said:

For those of us old enough to recall, I sometimes wonder if we shouldn’t be looking into the mental fitness we once were invested in. 

http://omahamagazine.com/articles/tag/dr-jack-stark/

This is still a major focus of Nebraska Athletics.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210215025

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210236179

• Plus1 2