Why are reporters not going after one of root problems= Mark Philipp

Dude thank you so much. I was at Hooters the night before the Illinois game with about 4 other buddies. And I'm not s#!tting you, Mark Phillips and 4 other players walk in, one was JD Spielman, and the first words out of Phillips mouth, loud and clear was "We're getting drunk tonight" I was instantly pissed knowing this guy was in charge of their health and fitness and to promote getting s#!t faced the night before the road game.

Edited by AndrewDBrandt

Athletics have changed so much over the last few decades.  Kids are coming in products of extensive fitness and mental conditioning from young ages.  I don’t think TO could replicate his success today because much of what he taught, and what was thought to be unique, is now just foundation skills.  In short, I don’t think the SC program is to blame.  However  I think  there may be some motivational issues regarding player development once players get to campus. 

9 hours ago, Enhance said:

How does one determine whether strength, technique, focus or execution is the true culprit for someone looking like they're getting pushed around?

I feel pretty confident in saying we’re not very good in all 4 of those areas. In fact, strength is probably the least concerning one based on my personally administered eye tests. But let’s not mince words, they don’t “look” like they’re getting pushed around. They are getting pushed around.

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I feel pretty confident in saying we’re not very good in all 4 of those areas. In fact, strength is probably the least concerning one based on my personally administered eye tests. But let’s not mince words, they don’t “look” like they’re getting pushed around. They are getting pushed around.

Agreed. We can say they're getting pushed around without immediately going to the low hanging fruit of accusing the S&C program. I believe this is probably the least relevant variable right now.

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Athletics have changed so much over the last few decades.  Kids are coming in products of extensive fitness and mental conditioning from young ages.  I don’t think TO could replicate his success today because much of what he taught, and what was thought to be unique, is now just foundation skills.  In short, I don’t think the SC program is to blame.  However  I think  there may be some motivational issues regarding player development once players get to campus. 

"I don't think TO could replicate his success today." 

Wow.

8 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

"I don't think TO could replicate his success today." 

Wow.

Wow , what?  I don't think he would.  He was really innovative then, but football was different.  Many of things he implemented in the 7'0's and 80"s has now been replicated to a better degree by others.  

Edited by krc1995

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Wow , what?  I don't think he would.  He was really innovative then, but football was different.  Many of things he implemented in the 7'0's and 80"s has now been replicated to a better degree by others.  

There are things that TO has in spades, things that apply in any age, and these things are what matter: Integrity, Honesty, Work Ethic, Excellence, Intelligence, Courage, Leadership.   

Which one of those doesn't apply in 2017?

These are the things that win championships.  Not Xs and Os. Ask Chip Kelly.

Do you not think a young TO would have what it takes in 2017?

If TO could take from the fountain of youth I GUARANTEE you in four years this program would be winning at a greater than .750 clip.

Again...wow.

The only thing he would lose would be the discussion board.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

There are things that TO has in spades, things that apply in any age, and these things are what matter: Integrity, Honesty, Work Ethic, Excellence, Intelligence, Courage, Leadership.   

Which one of those doesn't apply in 2017?

These are the things that win championships.  Not Xs and Os. Ask Chip Kelly.

Do you not think a young TO would have what it takes in 2017?

If TO could take from the fountain of youth I GUARANTEE you in four years this program would be winning at a greater than .750 clip.

Again...wow.

The only thing he would lose would be the discussion board.

You can’t guarantee anything it’s hypothetical.

12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

And TO’s game kept evolving. He was mixing option with spread the last several years. He said a few years back that his offense would resemble Uraban’s offence today. What you do know is that they would be physical and emotionally ready to play the game 

15 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

The irony was he was a horrible coach 

• Plus1 1
On 11/21/2017 at 9:41 AM, Red Five said:

Do you know that Wisconsin starts 2 RS So and 1 RS Fr on their offensive line?

I think you missed the bigger premise of my point.. Wisconsin also recruits a

HS player with a certain profile/future ability to be a road grader..and Wisconsin actually devotes and Believes in practicing their rushing offense , not Riley’s snap ball and stand up and backpeddle in pass protection

On 11/21/2017 at 7:06 PM, krc1995 said:

TO studied the game, was smart, and was relentless when it came to details. When he realized he needed speed for his defense, he changed, and recruited speed vs size. TO would dominate in 1900, 1990 or 2017. When you hire fo-fitty, Banker, Langsdorf, or Cosgrove you will lose.