Why are reporters not going after one of root problems= Mark Philipp

11 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

TO studied the game, was smart, and was relentless when it came to details. When he realized he needed speed for his defense, he changed, and recruited speed vs size. TO would dominate in 1900, 1990 or 2017. When you hire fo-fitty, Banker, Langsdorf, or Cosgrove you will lose.

Osborne wasn't the best coach of the 70's or 80's.  He became a great coach after 20 years.  Would he get the same chance today?  What would be his narrative if he had quit or retired in 1991?  And the coaches you listed are not head coaches so try again.  

I'm not ante TO and I do not know why anyone would think I am.  He's part of my legacy too but how many coaches at bit football programs get 20 years to evolve?  The recruiting for speed was purely a 90's thing and in- after 20 years of doing things pretty much one way.  

Just now, krc1995 said:

Osborne wasn't the best coach of the 70's or 80's.  He became a great coach after 20 years.  Would he get the same chance today?  What would be his narrative if he had quit or retired in 1991?  And the coaches you listed are not head coaches so try again.  

I'm not ante TO and I do not know why anyone would think I am.  He's part of my legacy too but how many coaches at bit football programs get 20 years to evolve?  The recruiting for speed was purely a 90's thing and in- after 20 years of doing things pretty much one way.  

He was great in the 70s and 80s. How many have coached 20 years and never been ranked out of the top 20? Come to think of it, if I apply all the naysayers logic - can't recruit to Nebraska, etc - then TO must have been the greatest every year.

Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

He was great in the 70s and 80s. How many have coached 20 years and never been ranked out of the top 20? Come to think of it, if I apply all the naysayers logic - can't recruit to Nebraska, etc - then TO must have been the greatest every year.

Switzer was much better

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

not in the polls.  Good man through and a very good coach

And something that Osborne did better then almost anyone, was build personal relationships with most of his players.  Connections that would span decades and in a few cases, over a lifetime.  I wonder if he would be able to deeply connect today.  It seems like guys (and really everyone) turns to the outside when they need to nurse their egos .  In TO's day, the lifelines were limited to people you had regular physical contact with.