Imaginationland Part II - Mike Leach Hired

HIHusker

Jumping over from the SF love fest/groupie/teenage girls at Bieber concert thread after reading some rumors that Mike Leach may have his hat in the ring (probably ML trolling the living s*** out of us because he has a great sense of humor but wtfdik).  Don't get me wrong I think SF is a better fit long .  term and is a legend for us fans. But what if he doesn't come and we get Leach?  Figured we could have fun speculating on how it would work out and what we would suggest he could do here to be successful.  My ideas:

1. First and foremost: hire the best DC in the universe. ML is an offensive genius and with a top notch DC tailored to the B1G would be tough to beat.  I see tOSU being the only threat in this case.  Imagine hanging 70 on Wiscy in Madison...

Discuss....

pirate.jpg.0227ebf373bb9a2bdf1104afd681086e.jpg

Edited by HIHusker
  • Plus1 1

10 years ago- I could have been sold CMLeach... There is no denying a certain gravitas he brings to anyone's table.  I would fear his offensive success here in the B1G.  That is my most important concern.... at the moment we are a fractured fan base, and this next hire is direly important for UNL.  If Ceasar was able to turn his thumb up/down on ML, the thumb would go down

Edited by Vizsla1
3 minutes ago, HIHusker said:

Jumping over from the SF love fest/groupie/teenage girls at Bieber concert thread after reading some rumors that Mike Leach may have his hat in the ring.  Don't get me wrong I think SF is a better fit long .  term and is a legend for us fans. But what if he doesn't come and we get Leach?  Figured we could have fun speculating on how it would work out and what we would suggest he could do here to be successful.  My ideas:

1. First and foremost: hire the best DC in the universe. ML is an offensive genius and with a top notch DC tailored to the B1G would be tough to beat.  I see tOSU being the only threat in this case.

Discuss....

CPskDpM.gif

If you could get said best DC imaginable I could see some success being had.

The issue is going to be the fishbowl, and run the damn ball guy when Leach loses a game. The I told you so's and rabble, rabble rabble from both the media and fans would be silly.

I am not sure Leach wants this kind of environment.

2 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

10 years ago- I could have been sold CMLeach... There is no denying a certain gravitas he brings to anyone's table.  I would fear his offensive success here in the B1G.  That is my most important concern.... at the moment we are a fractured fan base, and this next hire is direly important for UNL.  If Ceasar was able to turn his thumb up/down on ML, the thumb would go down

To Ceasar that would mean yes.

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

CPskDpM.gif

If you could get said best DC imaginable I could see some success being had.

The issue is going to be the fishbowl, and run the damn ball guy when Leach loses a game. The I told you so's and rabble, rabble rabble from both the media and fans would be silly.

I am not sure Leach wants this kind of environment.

To Ceasar that would mean yes.

Hahahaha, I lol'd and woke up my wife, thanks :D:facepalm: best SP episode of all time after WTF...I agree that his style would take some getting used to around here and the blue hairs might need 24/7 ecg monitors but if that's who we end up with might as well try to help him be successful here with useful suggestions.  Moos strikes me as a solid AD and will choose wisely.  Much more so than Eichorst.

Leach is a really good coach. It’s impressive how he always manages to find the perfect QB for him and he’s done a good job having a more balanced team over the years. I like the guy a lot.

That said, he’s had some really bad losses in Pullman and hasn’t had to answer a tough question about it. Probably a mixture of him being funny and the media in Pullman liking him and liking that he delivers wins even if there are some bad losses that come with it. He wouldn’t get that same luxury here.

It would also feel like Moos sold us some great talking points but ultimately went with someone familiar even if it’s not a great fit - something he specifically mentioned is important. “A coach that fits in one place may not fit in another.” I would be real disappointed with the hire.

• Plus1 1

I’m of the opinion that winners will win anywhere.  Some people are able to win in some place or circumstances, but no others.  This is what separates good coaches from great ones.  I think Leach could win anywhere. I think he would make this a top 10 program.  I’m not convinced we’d be championship caliber, but he would turn it around.

Ive stated previously that I would take Leach if Frost passed.  That being said, Moos has talked about “fit” in his interviews and presser.  I don’t think he’d work with the strong portion of our fanbase.

Hes a strange ranger.  I’d love it...most wouldn’t.

Edited by gobiggergoredder
  • Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m of the opinion that winners will win anywhere.  Some people are able to win in some place or circumstances, but no others.  This is what separates good coaches from great ones.  I think Leach could win anywhere. I think he would make this a top 10 program.  I’m not convinced we’d be championship caliber, but he would turn it around.

Ive stated previously that I would take Leach if Frost passed.  That being said, Moos has talked about “fit” in his interviews and presser.  I don’t think he’d work with the strong portion of our fanbase.

Hes a strange ranger.  I’d love it...most wouldn’t.

I could see how he would rub people the wrong way, but he absolutely cracks me up. Definitely would be down to see him in Lincoln if Frost said no. 

• Plus1 2

Frost is 1, but I would put leach at 2.  Don't think Peterson is a possibility. Kelly is as much of an odd fellow as Leach, but he has never built a program from the ground up.  Leach has twice.  His offense would carve up the west and it wouldn't take 4+ years to implement like Rileys.  Also his DC Grinch is a hot name in the coaching industry. 

If not Nebraska, Arkansas should go after leach hard.   He would be a great fit there.  

• Plus1 1