Head Basketball Coach Search

41 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Cool. What about the rest of the items I listed? Did we go on a patented Miles scoring drought? Did we get outrebounded? Did we shoot under 40% and under 30% from 3? Did we turn the ball over 16 times? Again I’m asking you to actually watch the game and analyze what you’re seeing on the floor. I get that it might be difficult for you so you cherry pick random nuggets to make yourself look cool but if you watched tonight’s game and thought “man Nebraska is a good basketball team” then we should just end this conversation and move on. Because that was 2 very bad basketball teams playing bad basketball tonight. 

What I see is a team that plays really good defense, has a ton of talent, and looks really good if they can play up tempo (like in the 10-0 run in the second half).  The problem is they look really bad if they have to play a half court game.  a big part of that is that they don't have a post presence.  Jordy has a lot of the tools to be one, but his footwork is terrible.  Duby is there for rebounds & blocked shots and everyone knows it.  Borchardt hustles but is too slow to guard B1G post players.  If they had a quality post player, they would get much better looks from 3 and their shooting percentage would go up.  Hopefully Iowa will be just what the doctor ordered.  They want to play fast and rarely play any defense.

4 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

What I see is a team that plays really good defense, has a ton of talent, and looks really good if they can play up tempo (like in the 10-0 run in the second half).  The problem is they look really bad if they have to play a half court game.  a big part of that is that they don't have a post presence.  Jordy has a lot of the tools to be one, but his footwork is terrible.  Duby is there for rebounds & blocked shots and everyone knows it.  Borchardt hustles but is too slow to guard B1G post players.  If they had a quality post player, they would get much better looks from 3 and their shooting percentage would go up.  Hopefully Iowa will be just what the doctor ordered.  They want to play fast and rarely play any defense.

Jordy is what he is at this point. He has occasional flashes of brilliance but he can't walk 3 feet without fouling someone. 

I completely and totally agree about playing fast. I wish we would even extend our pressure to halfcourt and trap/pressure out of the 1-3-1 and not just sit back in it like we do now. The way this team is made up/built we should be trying to get out in transition and force turnovers. When we go to a halfcourt offense it is UGLY. 

All of Jordy's fouls last night were because he stumbled over his own feet (and into the player he fouled).  If he works on footwork from the end of the season until November his fouling should decrease.  Over the years I have seen many big men go from extremely awkward to smooth over the course of a four year career.  I still have hope that Jordy can be one of those.  I'm not holding my breath, but because he does show flashes there is still hope.

• Plus1 1

seaofred you are talking about all the things they do poorly but I haven't seen any credit to the things they do well. You couldn't complain about how we should have beaten Ohio State or Kansas if we didn't compete in those games to begin with which a lot of teams in the country can't say they have. Do I think Miles is the best coach out there? No, not by a long shot, but I think he deserves the chance to see how this season plays out and what he can build from that as this season has had huge sparks that look like something we can be proud of. Every coach has head scratching decisions and certain Achilles heel type tendencies but not many coaches have gotten Nebraska basketball to where Miles has previously and could this year.

I'm an eternal optimist and while I don't want the losing seasons we have had, we have to give and take a little and hope what we are seeing now with current players and this season can move the curve to the winning side continuously. Late season losing streak this year though and the chances are over...

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sure there is some basketball fans out there somewhere. Also the scott frost saga should be over in about a week. So I thought I would start a thread about finding a new basketball coach. 

Lets be real- this needs to happen about as bad as moving on from Riley. So I call on Moos. As soon as scott frost inks his name to be the new head football coach. Let's find our new basketball coach to make Nebraska basketball respectable. 

**BUMP** 

bXqdxqA.gif

• Plus1 1
On 11/24/2017 at 7:11 AM, Thurston from Pender said:

Mods:

Please leave this thread here. No one will see it in the basketball forum.

The point here is that the ROT created by the former AD is massive and many changes need to be made soon. Miles, for sure, and maybe the women’s basketball coach. I say bring back Yori. 

This part has aged particularly well, too. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

i still stand by my assertion that Miles isn't a good coach, although this season has gone tremendously better than expected

I think he's average at best.  A lot of our benefit was a very favorable schedule and B1G teams that are frankly just bad compared to a normal year.  With this team and a normal talented B1G we would probably be 9-9 or 8-10.  But it is good to see us being able to close out games when you have the opportunity.  I hope JPJ comes back because this would be a very veteran team.  Would just have to hope they don't collapse like 2015 when we had all the pieces returning then too.  

56 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I've been on this train for at least 3 seasons now, but I'm ready eat a hearty plate of crow. Miles should get a new contract after this year, too. 

I'm with you. I get so tired of the Miles haters. Yeah his overall record isn't the best but he's the only coach we've had that has had some actual success since Danny Knee.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Blackshirts007 said:

I think he's average at best.  A lot of our benefit was a very favorable schedule and B1G teams that are frankly just bad compared to a normal year.  With this team and a normal talented B1G we would probably be 9-9 or 8-10.  But it is good to see us being able to close out games when you have the opportunity.  I hope JPJ comes back because this would be a very veteran team.  Would just have to hope they don't collapse like 2015 when we had all the pieces returning then too.  

In terms of rotations, overall game planning and execution, he's shown more growth this year than any other time in his tenure. 

He still has a ways to go in terms of situational gameplanning, though. 

I think we lost a little in terms of set plays and offensive rhythm  when Craig Smith took a head coaching job as a result of our success in 2014. Hopefully we can keep improving on those aspects. If we keep making little bits of progress here and there and keep bringing in talent like we have right now we could be pretty dangerous.

• Plus1 3