Head Basketball Coach Search

In 80 years of basketball there are only 2 basketball coaches who have made an NCAA tourney appearance for Nebraska. Nee (6) and Miles (1). I am always baffled on expectations of the bball program. Don't get me wrong he should be above .500 but c'mon guys. Nebraska is the only school in a power conference that has never won a game in the NCAA tournament.

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

In 80 years of basketball there are only 2 basketball coaches who have made an NCAA tourney appearance for Nebraska. Nee (6) and Miles (1). I am always baffled on expectations of the bball program. Don't get me wrong he should be above .500 but c'mon guys. Nebraska is the only school in a power conference that has never won a game in the NCAA tournament.

So because we've always sucked, we shouldn't have higher expectations? They've spent s#!tloads of money on a new arena, new practice facilities, etc. The fan support is there, big time. The only thing we're missing is the product on the floor which is directly on the coaches.

15 minutes ago, GSG said:

So because we've always sucked, we shouldn't have higher expectations? They've spent s#!tloads of money on a new arena, new practice facilities, etc. The fan support is there, big time. The only thing we're missing is the product on the floor which is directly on the coaches.

Not saying we shouldn't have higher expectations, but they also need to be realistic. Miles still has a chance this year to make the tournament which would be 2x in 6 years. Also get 4/5 starters back for next season. 

57 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Don’t care who the next coach is as long as it’s, not a nice guy mr Rodgers type(they never win) a coach that knows how to recruit the right players and knows how to run an offense.  In TM 6 years he has not recruited any shooters nor a big man that resembles a big man.  

Gill thinks he can shoot the 3 and his stats support that.  We also have at least one freshman that will leave here as a good 3 pt shooter.

42 minutes ago, GSG said:

Every university in the past 10 years has spent $$$ on the facilities - yes we have great fans!!!  The product of the court is improving and should finish in the top 3rd of the league this year.

just do me a favor. Watch the basketball tonight. Don't give me the "well were better than prior years" "were more competitive" blah blah BS. Honestly just watch what the team is doing/isn't doing, the sets that are/aren't run, the little things that are/aren't done, the hustle plays that are/aren't made during tonight's game.

If you can watch that and tell me this looks like a team coached by a good coach in their 6th year at the helm then with all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about. This team has had the same exact problems plague them for YEARS. At some point enough is enough. 

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Not saying we shouldn't have higher expectations, but they also need to be realistic. Miles still has a chance this year to make the tournament which would be 2x in 6 years. Also get 4/5 starters back for next season. 

Unless we win 2 games in the big ten tourney this team is going nowhere but to the nit.....maybe.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Unless we win 2 games in the big ten tourney this team is going nowhere but to the nit.....maybe.  

thank you. Amazes me people fail to realize how awful the B1G is this year even though I've laid the numbers out there multiple times. There's a chance that by the end of the season the only game out of our last 10 that is still considered a top 100 game is Maryland. That is AWFUL. The "gauntlet" schedule Nebraska has played this year is ranked 90 in SOS. This team is playing bad teams and winning, playing average teams and splitting, and plays a few good teams and loses. This team is like a 4 or 5 seed NIT type team right now

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

just do me a favor. Watch the basketball tonight. Don't give me the "well were better than prior years" "were more competitive" blah blah BS. Honestly just watch what the team is doing/isn't doing, the sets that are/aren't run, the little things that are/aren't done, the hustle plays that are/aren't made during tonight's game.

If you can watch that and tell me this looks like a team coached by a good coach in their 6th year at the helm then with all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about. This team has had the same exact problems plague them for YEARS. At some point enough is enough. 

This team is far from great and the coach is in a similar boat.  However, if we are so bad at all these little things that you discuss - how have we taken Kansas to the wire and given ourselves a solid chance against a top 20 team that is very hot in OSU.  You must have missed several plays during the past couple games (ET and JW - come to mind)  I guess we will here how bad we are from you after the game and then hopefully we can voice our opinions - then again "most of us have no idea what were talking about" - glad to receive some solid education from yourself.

• Plus1 4

15 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

This team is far from great and the coach is in a similar boat.  However, if we are so bad at all these little things that you discuss - how have we taken Kansas to the wire and given ourselves a solid chance against a top 20 team that is very hot in OSU.  You must have missed several plays during the past couple games (ET and JW - come to mind)  I guess we will here how bad we are from you after the game and then hopefully we can voice our opinions - then again "most of us have no idea what were talking about" - glad to receive some solid education from yourself.

You will hear (not here) how bad we are consistently from me during game threads when I watch. Been complaining about the same issues for what seems like years now. Unfortunately, I'm at work late tonight and can't watch. I hope we win. 

If you want to take pride in competing with good teams and losing that's your prerogative. I'd like to have a coach and team that can do more than make a loss look neat on the scoreboard and cover an 11 point spread. I take absolutely zero pride in "competing" in these games. If "competing" with teams is all you care about then you should be pretty pissed because we also have gotten railed by 20+ at Michigan State and were obliterated by a mediocre at best St. John's team. Nebraska could have and should have won both of the games against Kansas and Ohio State, however due to bad coaching decisions and technique, lost both. In case you haven't noticed, that seems to be a pretty common trend for this team in close games. 

I didn't say you specifically have no idea what you're talking about, although judging by the way you're taking solace in close losses and moral wins and defending Coach Miles I definitely am starting to think it. Just watch the game tonight and let me know what you see. If you see a team moving the ball efficiently on the perimeter and running quality sets for good looks out of time outs then let me know. If they're hustling for loose balls and blocking out their man when guys on the other team put up shots, then let me know. 

I'll be here when we get out rebounded yet again and have another 5+ minute long scoring drought in a crucial stretch of game time, ready and anxious to actually do something to solve these issues. You'll be here talking about how we "competed hard and had a nice fun time with a chance to win at the end". 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Nice call - it took all of 0.4 seconds before we had our first hustle play. They get the tip and AG slides in for the steal - i guess we suck at the little things.....

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

You will hear (not here) how bad we are consistently from me during game threads when I watch. Been complaining about the same issues for what seems like years now. Unfortunately, I'm at work late tonight and can't watch. I hope we win. 

If you want to take pride in competing with good teams and losing that's your prerogative. I'd like to have a coach and team that can do more than make a loss look neat on the scoreboard and cover an 11 point spread. I take absolutely zero pride in "competing" in these games. If "competing" with teams is all you care about then you should be pretty pissed because we also have gotten railed by 20+ at Michigan State and were obliterated by a mediocre at best St. John's team. Nebraska could have and should have won both of the games against Kansas and Ohio State, however due to bad coaching decisions and technique, lost both. In case you haven't noticed, that seems to be a pretty common trend for this team in close games. 

I didn't say you specifically have no idea what you're talking about, although judging by the way you're taking solace in close losses and moral wins and defending Coach Miles I definitely am starting to think it. Just watch the game tonight and let me know what you see. If you see a team moving the ball efficiently on the perimeter and running quality sets for good looks out of time outs then let me know. If they're hustling for loose balls and blocking out their man when guys on the other team put up shots, then let me know. 

I'll be here when we get out rebounded yet again and have another 5+ minute long scoring drought in a crucial stretch of game time, ready and anxious to actually do something to solve these issues. You'll be here talking about how we "competed hard and had a nice fun time with a chance to win at the end". 

We started the year off slow with several players that hadn't played together - they are gelling and we should see more progress down the road.  You have no clue what i take pride in and don't need you to making uneducated guess - you know what they say about people that ASSume things.  Keep complaining about the product and staff.  You should probably set up a meeting with the AD and let him know what NU should do.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Nice call - it took all of 0.4 seconds before we had our first hustle play. They get the tip and AG slides in for the steal - i guess we suck at the little things.....

Cool. What about the rest of the items I listed? Did we go on a patented Miles scoring drought? Did we get outrebounded? Did we shoot under 40% and under 30% from 3? Did we turn the ball over 16 times? Again I’m asking you to actually watch the game and analyze what you’re seeing on the floor. I get that it might be difficult for you so you cherry pick random nuggets to make yourself look cool but if you watched tonight’s game and thought “man Nebraska is a good basketball team” then we should just end this conversation and move on. Because that was 2 very bad basketball teams playing bad basketball tonight.