Huskers in the 2018 NFL Draft

seaofred92

Kalu and Jones, like Lee, have the intangibles NFL teams look for.  Their size and height will get them looks IMHO.  For Jones and Kalu, speed is the key. Run a good 40 and suddenly you "much better" than you were.  If either gets drafted, it is a testament to their sheer athleticism.  I think that had like 4 position coaches, 2 HC's, 3 DC's and position change for Kalu etc......Any DB that gets a shot is gifted with the revolving door we have had. Not to mention the crap show that was Diaco's last year.  Playing under him could make a 1st round lock look like a non-player....

13 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I don't often venture out of the main football forum so that's why.

He's better than you think, drop in production notwithstanding.

Re: DPE. 

Everyone was excited from that Freshman year. Most blame the injury, but I'm not so sure. When not returning punts, he was a wide receiver, and probably the fourth best receiver on the team. They tried to feature him on  jet sweeps, but his speed wasn't enough. The mounting evidence pointed to DPE being good, not great. 

NFL teams can't take a chance giving a roster spot to a pure return man, and DPE just doesn't have the look of a pure receiver. 

• Plus1 1

Which Husker from the list that got a combine invite stay in the NFL the longest?

I think Lee will be a practice squad guy.. Might even float around enough to be in the NFL 3-4 years.

Nick Gates- If his work ethic really is a flaw, he will be out after a year maybe two.

Kalu- maybe a special teams guy but fail to see it lasting super long.

Jones- Never say never. sometimes CB's need the right coaching to figure it out.

Brown- He will have a chance to compete for a job and you just never know. He could be in the NFL for 10 years or 10 min. Dont think he has the leg to last super long but who knows.

My guess would be Tanner Lee. None of the guys will be productive.

• Plus1 1

With the rule changes and the way the nfl is heading (protecting WRs at all costs) I see a slightly undersized, but quick WR like DPE being very valuable as a slot WR (which seems to be a big time position now)

if DPE has a “good” pro-day showing (doesn't even have to be great, imho) especially in 40, 20-yard shuttle, and 3-cone; i see him getting drafted mid-late

i’m sorta surprised Gates got a combine invite... he was a highly ranked HS recruit; but his game tape doesnt match; and he certainly hasn’t  progressed from a physical standpoint; he looks nothing like an NFL left OR right tackle.

Edited by Red_Payne