Come On Moos

I kind of respect Moose waiting. He's a man of his word and seems to have integrity. He said he doesn't fire coaches mid season and he didn't. He said Riley deserved to coach the whome season and he let him. 

He didn't can Riley on his birthday like UCLA did to Mora. He didn't can him the moment he stepped off the field like Arkansas. Both bad looks.

Riley still deserves some dignity and one last gameday as the Huskers head coach. He's had a long and respected career no matter how his time ends here at Nebraska. It will all be done soon enough.

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 8
18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I kind of respect Moose waiting. He's a man of his word and seems to have integrity. He said he doesn't fire coaches mid season and he didn't. He said Riley deserved to coach the whome season and he let him. 

He didn't can Riley on his birthday like UCLA did to Mora. He didn't can him the moment he stepped off the field like Arkansas. Both bad looks.

Riley still deserves some dignity and one last gameday as the Huskers head coach. He's had a long and respected career no matter how his time ends here at Nebraska. It will all be done soon enough.

I would have fired Mike Riley after the home loss to Northern Illinois, but that's just me...

In terms of how coaches at UCLA and Arkansas were fired, can we stop using how "other schools" do things as the barometer whether it is wrong or right for Nebraska?

Does Riley "deserve" any dignity?  Does the Nebraska football team have any "dignity" left after getting 50+ points hung on them for the 4th time in 12 games?  

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I would have fired Mike Riley after the home loss to Northern Illinois, but that's just me...

In terms of how coaches at UCLA and Arkansas were fired, can we stop using how "other schools" do things as the barometer whether it is wrong or right for Nebraska?

Does Riley "deserve" any dignity?  Does the Nebraska football team have any "dignity" left after getting 50+ points hung on them for the 4th time in 12 games?  How about the number of times Nebraska has been beaten by at least 40?

It's a just a game. These are still people with families and lives. They put in a lot of hours. The least they can get is some decorum on the way out. I wanted him gone a long time ago too, but I respect people who keep their word and treat other with dignity despite the circumstance

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 9

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

From what I understand Riley was originally supposed to be relieved of his duties on Friday, but they decided to push it back to Saturday, as the higher-ups felt that Friday should be all about the seniors.

5 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Does Riley "deserve" any dignity?  Does the Nebraska football team have any "dignity" left after getting 50+ points hung on them for the 4th time in 12 games?  

Two completely different view points here, but I highly agree with both.

Just now, ZRod said:

It's a just a game. These are still people with families and lives. They put in a lot of hours. The least they can get is some decorum on the way out. I wanted him gone a long time ago to. But I respect people who keep their word and treat other with respect.

As do I. 

But we're not talking about average people with average jobs and/or lives.  We're talking about college football coaches who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (and in the case of the head coach) to several million dollars a year.  

All of us who work in the private sector, most of us put in "a lot of hours."  Most of us who work in the private sector have numbers we have to meet each week, month, quarter, etc.  If we don't meet those numbers and expectations...we're gone.  The difference?  We don't get multi-million dollar golden parachutes, we're just given the axe and told, "...best of luck to you."

So no, I have absolutely no remorse, sad feelings, or "gosh that's terrible" thoughts when college football coaches are fired.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, secretasianman said:

Fickell, Cincinnati — NO

Fritz, Tulane — NO

Fisher — Florida St. — unlikely 

Fedora— North Carolina- NO

Fuente — VA Tech - maybe

Ferentz- Iowa- hell NO

Fleck— Minnesota - unlikely

Franklin- Penn St. — unlikely 

Went through the same list.  Only two that made any sense to me would be Fuente or Pat Fitzgerald.  It looks like Fitzgerald just signed a long term extension so that doesn't seem likely.

Edited by TshirtFan
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

In my eyes, Riley only keeps his dignity if he resigns.  He should be embarrassed for the product he's produced.  Regardless of injuries, talent, etc., there is no excuse to give up 50+ points at home three times and finish 4-8 at DONU.  That speech he gave about being the guy for the job did nothing but show how out of touch he is.  This team got worse as the season progressed and it wasn't due to injuries.  It's a bad product and he's responsible.    

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

In my eyes, Riley only keeps his dignity if he resigns.  He should be embarrassed for the product he's produced.  Regardless of injuries, talent, etc., there is no excuse to give up 50+ points at home three times and finish 4-8 at DONU.  That speech he gave about being the guy for the job did nothing but show how out of touch he is.  This team got worse as the season progressed and it wasn't due to injuries.  It's a bad product and he's responsible.    

Yeah, that really rubbed me the wrong way as well.  I know he's probably just using coach speak, but it's really not something you should be saying after the season you produced.  Nebraska is a very proud program, and when people hear something like that from the man responsible for this trainwreck it feels like a slap in the face.  It makes it sound like he doesn't care about the damage done and hurt his product has caused Husker nation.  I would have respected him a lot more if he had announced his retirement and admitted he couldn't get it done.  Would have been a way to save face.  Doubling down after all this just wreaks of arrogance

Edited by Frost Advisory
  • Plus1 1

Perhaps Moos is actually thinking before doing something stupid like the last few AD's have done and yes Osborne you're included. Be thorough about the search and hire someone who will make the program great again. Not someone the fans want, cause when it comes down to it all the fans do is bitch.

• Plus1 2

Riley thinking he can fix the issues with the football team is beyond delusional. I think he was concentrating too much on chewing gum rather than paying attention to what was going on during the game. The last three games were a living nightmare. How can he fix things when the TV shows him laughing and smiling while his team is being embarrassed at home to the tune of 49-14. What message does that send to the team? Riley needs to be fired no matter what happens next. In fact, Moos should send some players to help him pack his stuff so he can leave Lincoln as soon as possible. He should rent a bus and take his worthless coaches with him, especially Diaco who I am sure is not 100% in the head.

As to getting our next coach, I am hoping it is Scott Frost but if for any reason, that does not pan out, I hope that Moos does due diligence and does not repeat the mistakes done before him. We need a proven winner and not a 0.500 coach who is used to losing games. No matter what people say, the Nebraska job is still a very lucrative job. The Fans are very loyal and while they may have high expectations, they do value true effort and hard work. What Riley and his coaches delivered this season is definitely not worth the salaries they have cashed in. Riley is a Con Artist who uses his smile to scam us and collect his fat check. The product on the field was not worthy of the Husker Brand.

• Plus1 1