Is Scott Frost the ONLY Answer?

Let me be CLEAR. There is nothing I want more than Scott Frost coming back to Lincoln to hopefully right this ship. He is definitely my number one choice and of course the number one choice for so many Nebraska fans. However, nothing is concrete yet and until he is officially announced as our head coach, there is always a chance that he might not be coming to Lincoln. If that were to happen, does this mean that we are doomed for another failure? Is there someone else we think can have decent shot at fixing what is wrong with Husker Football? If so, WHO?

florida is no longer interested in chip kelly, and its been rumored that scott frost is #1 on florida,s search....there are also other teams looking for coaches, tenneesee, old miss...proably all 3 of those schools have better chances recruitng than nu....who knows what is going to happen, but if my crystal ball is correct...frost will go to florida...its sort of bad for nu , because of the # of schools looking for coaches...riley has not been fired, but i suspect he will be...florida would probably be scott frost quickest way to a national championship..the past gators coach could not get the talent ..

Edited by ronsss
2 hours ago, ronsss said:

florida is no longer interested in chip kelly, and its been rumored that scott frost is #1 on florida,s search....there are also other teams looking for coaches, tenneesee, old miss...proably all 3 of those schools have better chances recruitng than nu....who knows what is going to happen, but if my crystal ball is correct...frost will go to florida...its sort of bad for nu , because of the # of schools looking for coaches...riley has not been fired, but i suspect he will be...florida would probably be scott frost quickest way to a national championship..the past gators coach could not get the talent ..

Gators have plenty of talent, McElwain won the division twice. Frost won't go to Florida when he's turned them down already before. 

Matt Campbell ... or even bring Craig Bohl back.

Personally, I'm a tiny bit concerned that the local pool of talented athletes may be artificially boosting Frost's success at UCF anyway.  I'm sure it's been discussed, that the winless season was almost a bigger anomaly at UCF, than this year's season is.  Don't get me wrong... I want Frost.

Edited by stargazer

Scott Frost IS the ONLY answer...that will appease the Husker fan masses.

As of today, Scott Frost is going to be a home run hire for any school.  But Nebraska will be WAY more butt-hurt about not getting him than any other school.

Remember however, there is a toxic culture in Lincoln that has to  be purged.  It has been festering for close to 20 years and has poisoned the well.   This is about the Administration, Athletic Department and its staff, Coaches, culture, and players.   Not just one coach.

I am VERY hopeful that Bill Moos can become the Bob Devaney of this era.   He needs to be, or we are going to become Kansas in football.

• Plus1 3

There are many good coaches out there but few that would appease the rabid mob that is Husker Nation.   The crazed frenzy that has gripped far too many Husker fans (especially the ones on this board as it seems there must be 75% who are dead set on Frost) could easily bring on the hasty death of Hukser football forever.   A good argument could be made that any coach willing to take the NU job right now, as the mob is storming the gates, is a fool.   

The downward spiral in the quality of Husker football began two decades ago and the balance has fully tipped against us now with most of our opponents now better than us.   I think it is pretty clear that our talent level is far below the ratings indications.  A top 35 "ish" level team does not lose games to the teams and by the scores and with the 'eye test' we have been doing over the past 7 years.  

Our players obviously don't care about winning or losing and it is more of an entertainment activity or hobby for them - something to fill their time when they are not doing a little studying or playing on their electronic devices.  It seems to me that the losses are no big deal to these players.  In fact,. that may be the single biggest problem NU fans have with Mike Riley is that the losses don't appear to hurt him enough either.   The coaches and players don't seem to share the fans' pain.  And, after decades of this 'learning' to lose, there is a large degree of acceptance and inevitability and downright dismissal of the importance of winning the games. 

I firmly believe that the contract for Frost needs to accompany some kind of support package that includes the 'who's who' of Husker football, past and present whereby Frost has the open, public and enduring allegence of Osborne, McBride, a large number of well known players of yesteryear and the University administration and the Athletic Department.   These are rough waters we are navigating and the off season upcoming will be a long one.  The anger, anxiety and disgust of the most vocal of the fan base will have to be tempered by a steady dose of realism and frankness.   The state of the program (outside of the on field performance) may be relatively good but the mindset of the players and coaches has got to change dramatically.   

And, as poorly as the team played this season, I don't believe that hiring a new coach is the right move UNLESS the hire is the right one.   I think Les Miles, Turner Gill, Kevin Steele, Chip Kelley, and a handful of others would be a big jump forward.   But a true 'home run' hire needs to bring with him the kind of coaching gravitas that can immediately bring national respect and confidence back.   He will have to be a recruit magnet as well as be an offensive playcaller.   His defensive staff will have to turn the Blackshirts into more than just a somebody with a black jersey in front of his locker.   

• Plus1 1

Turner Gill, seriously?  

Chip Kelley, no chance he comes here, forget about culture, completely wrong fit

Les Miles, getting old, forget about culture

Kevin Steele, do we want to try the first time HC experiment again?  Does he even want to be a HC?

Brent Venables, do we want to try the first time HC experiment again?

Edited by stargazer

3 hours ago, ronsss said:

Florida is no longer interested in Chip Kelly the same way I'm no longer interested in Jason Momoa. I have absolutely zero inside information, but I've been following close enough that it's seems obvious to me that they reached out to Frost early on and didn't hear what they wanted to hear. They then went all in on Kelly pretending he was their first choice, but he's been stringing them along and won't commit. So now they're back after Frost, pushing the narrative they didn't just get played by Kelly. They have mishandled their search every step of the way and could end up looking really foolish if they don't pull something out of thin air quick. That job is not as easy or desirable as some want to think and they're losing cache every day this goes on longer.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, LadyGlitterSparkles said:

Florida is no longer interested in Chip Kelly the same way I'm no longer interested in Jason Momoa. I have absolutely zero inside information, but I've been following close enough that it's seems obvious to me that they reached out to Frost early on and didn't hear what they wanted to hear. They then went all in on Kelly pretending he was their first choice, but he's been stringing them along and won't commit. So now they're back after Frost, pushing the narrative they didn't just get played by Kelly. They have mishandled their search every step of the way and could end up looking really foolish if they don't pull something out of thin air quick. That job is not as easy or desirable as some want to think and they're losing cache every day this goes on longer.

Great first post, welcome to the board!

SF turned NU down before. I'm not sold on his D.C. at all. He would jump into recruiting with the big boys.  If SF doesn't come, I'm in the Campbell camp. Seems like he gets every ounce of ISU's talent. If you can win in Ames, it's a huge accomplishment. I'm going to support whoever until they prove they can't handle it anymore or look lost. 

Frost would get more time than anyone else. Unify everyone. Run the option now and then. That's a plus! 

• Plus1 2