2017 B1G CCG - Wisconsin vs. Ohio State

Mavric

...and now that sinking feeling of unease I've had all season has finally crystallized. I'm glad Ohio State beat Michigan even though I usually pull for the Wolverines in the Game....you don't want your team to have to face mad-Ohio State. ESPN's little FPI predictor has Ohio State by 66% but I don't know. It will depend on how many interceptions Hornibrook decides to throw and which Ohio State shows up. I don't think we've played a QB like Barrett in a while, he has me worried, hopefully whatever freak camera-injury he had will have him tweaked weird for the game, no offense jaws.

Edited by Excel
11 minutes ago, jaws said:

It looks like if OSU wins it will get two SEC teams into the playoffs. 

...yea you can feel the argument coming already. Alabama and Auburn/UGA. ESPN and Heather Dinich will lobby for it hard. I'm cool with their champ making it but Bama needs to stay home, Ohio State's precedent from last year be damned. At least Ohio State played and beat tough teams last year. Alabama's resume this year is weak.

Edited by Excel

I guess JT has been hurt most of the year and that sideline thing (I wished they would have shut up about it after the game) tweaked it. I don't know if Wisconsin really wants to go up against Haskins in this game either. He can really sling the ball but his read on the read option isn't good. Wisconsin is a good team so it should be a good game. 

It is hard for me to believe they will keep Bama out of the playoffs. They haven't really played anyone and they haven't looked good to end the season.

6 minutes ago, jaws said:

I guess JT has been hurt most of the year and that sideline thing (I wished they would have shut up about it after the game) tweaked it. I don't know if Wisconsin really wants to go up against Haskins in this game either. He can really sling the ball but his read on the read option isn't good. Wisconsin is a good team so it should be a good game. 

It is hard for me to believe they will keep Bama out of the playoffs. They haven't really played anyone and they haven't looked good to end the season.

Yep, Haskins was very impressive today, I learned to respect OSU's backups after our last meeting in the B1G CG. Minnesota's Croft was the most mobile QB we've played this year and while that went well he's not on the level of either Haskins or Barrett. I do not have a good feeling about this game and I won't until Chryst proves he can beat a truly good blue-chip team for a signature win. I thought he had it with LSU but that team didn't pan out, Michigan and Nebraska have both been down so they don't count. Hopefully this is it.

If they keep the undefeated big 10 champ out of the playoffs, the playoffs will be expanding to 6/8 teams soon. I don't think they will do that even though Alabama is better than Wisconsin. The committee considers going undefeated to be an important factor. They also consider being a conference champ to being an important factor. Ohio State got in last year with neither of those but not in place of an undefeated P5 team. Assuming no upsets, that leaves them the option of leaving Clemson or Oklahoma out. I can't see them leaving out the defending champ.

So it's Alabama vs. Oklahoma for the last spot, imo. Oklahoma's only loss is to Ohio State and they will have won their conference. I think they leave out Alabama.

Edited by Moiraine
16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If they keep the undefeated big 10 champ out of the playoffs, the playoffs will be expanding to 6/8 teams soon.

I can't bring myself to believe they'd dare snub the Big Ten like that, especially with Ohio State's AD on the committee and Barry Alvarez probably still retaining significant influence.

The real question is what happens to Ohio State if they beat Wisconsin, and Oklahoma beats TCU. Then you'll have:

- 1 loss ACC champ who has a win over Clemson/Miami

- 1 loss Oklahoma

-1 loss Alabama

- Either 2 loss Auburn with three powerful wins late in the season or a 1 loss UGA

Does OSU get left out in this scenario? They shouldn't be, they're a conference chanp, but I would imagine they do...and to me this is likely to happen.

You're right about expanding the playoffs, they should look at a 6-8 team bracket with auto bids for P5 champs and 1-3 at-large bids....but that would kind of suck because it would make the regular season mean less.

Edited by Excel

Just for kicks here is what the committee looks like as far as potential biases. I highlighted any problematic areas I could find. Several Miami and Clemson connections that people didn't recuse themselves from, maybe it could impact things.

Kirby Hocutt - Chariman

FOCUS: None

CURRENT JOB: Texas Tech AD aka the guy dumb enough to hire Kingsbury

PLAYED: Kansas State

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Ohio, Miami (FL)

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Texas Tech

Tyrone Willingham

FOCUS: ACC, AAC

CURRENT JOB: Retired HC

PLAYED: Michigan State

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Michigan State, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Washington

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Duke, Stanford

Gene Smith

FOCUS: Sun Belt, Independents

CURRENT JOB: Ohio State AD

PLAYED: Notre Dame

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Arizona State, Iowa State

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Ohio State

Steve Wieberg

FOCUS: ACC, Mountain West

CURRENT JOB: Retired Journalist

STUDIED: Missouri

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Basketball Journalist

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: None

Dan Radakovich

FOCUS: Big XII

CURRENT JOB: Clemson AD

PLAYED: Indiana University of Pennsylvania 

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Georgia Tech, LSU, South Carolina, Miami

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Clemson

Rob Mullens

FOCUS: Mountain West, Big Ten

CURRENT JOB: Oregon AD

STUDIED: Miami (FL)

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Maryland, Kentucky

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Oregon

Jeff Long

FOCUS: Pac 12

CURRENT JOB: Unemployed AD (formerly of Arkansas)

PLAYED: Ohio Wesleyan University

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Arkansas, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Arkansas, Missouri

Bobby Johnson

FOCUS: SEC, Independents

PLAYED: Clemson

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Clemson, Vanderbilt

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: None declared

Tom Jernstedt

FOCUS: Big Ten, Sun Belt

CURRENT JOB: Retired

PLAYED: Oregon

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Former NCAA executive, instrumental in NCAA Basketball Tournament development

Christopher B. Howard

FOCUS: C-USA, AAC

CURRENT JOB: University President

PLAYED: Air Force

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Unrelated corporate or charitable endeavors, Oklahoma

Herb Deromedi

FOCUS: C-USA, SEC

CURRENT JOB: Retired HC and Adminisrator

PLAYED: Michigan

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Central Michigan

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Central Michigan

Jeff Bower

FOCUS: MAC, Pac 12

PLAYED: UGA, Southern Miss

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Southern Miss HC

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Southern Miss

Frank Beamer

FOCUS: MAC, Big XII

CURRENT JOB: Retired HC

PLAYED: Virginia Tech

COACHED AT/PREVIOUS JOBS: Virginia Tech HC

OFFICIAL RECUSAL: Georgia, Virginia Tech

Sources:

Recusals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff#Selection_committee

Focuses or "point person" as the committee calls it: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20354984/college-football-playoff-selection-committee-members-assigned-monitor-two-conferences-each

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Excel said:

I can't bring myself to believe they'd dare snub the Big Ten like that, especially with Ohio State's AD on the committee and Barry Alvarez probably still retaining significant influence.

The real question is what happens to Ohio State if they beat Wisconsin, and Oklahoma beats TCU. Then you'll have:

- 1 loss ACC champ who has a win over Clemson/Miami

- 1 loss Oklahoma

-1 loss Alabama

- Either 2 loss Auburn with three powerful wins late in the season or a 1 loss UGA

Does OSU get left out in this scenario? They shouldn't be, they're a conference chanp, but I would imagine they do...and to me this is likely to happen.

You're right about expanding the playoffs, they should look at a 6-8 team bracket with auto bids for P5 champs and 1-3 at-large bids....but that would kind of suck because it would make the regular season mean less.

And an undefeated UCF - but that is not happening

4 minutes ago, huKSer said:

And an undefeated UCF - but that is not happening

I wish they would have played that Georgia Tech game that was canceled. I think they would have been given a little more respect if they would have won that game. I am surprised they have been ranked as low as they have.

On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin! Plunge right through that line!
Run the ball right down the field, a touchdown sure this time.
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin! Fight on for her fame,
Fight! Fellows! Fight! Fight, fight, we'll win this game.

On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin! Stand up, Badgers sing!
'Forward' is our driving spirit loyal voices ring.
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin! Raise her glowing flame!
Stand, fellows, let us now salute her name!

Excel,

I am more than worried about this game.  I would be happy to win by 1-point.  As for Haskins, I feel we have more upside with him at QB, he can spread the field where Barrett hesitates too long, and telegraphs passes too much as well.  Our defense is boom or bust as well.  Here is to a great game, as Wisky always gives us problems. 

8 hours ago, Woody Tressel said:

Excel,

I am more than worried about this game.  I would be happy to win by 1-point.  As for Haskins, I feel we have more upside with him at QB, he can spread the field where Barrett hesitates too long, and telegraphs passes too much as well.  Our defense is boom or bust as well.  Here is to a great game, as Wisky always gives us problems. 

Hopefully it's a good one, it feels like forever since we've beaten you guys. Do you think this Tennesee stuff will affect Schiano's defense? 

Haskins scares me a la 2014.