2018 Schedule

Nebhawk

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Yeah.  Why is it being stated that no matter who coaches our schedule is brutal?  I can see us winning 7-9 games just based on what I saw this season from those other teams.  

And is this with/without watching what NU did on the field this year???

Remember the scoffing at Vegas and their O/U for wins???

That schedule is tough, especially the road portion.  It would be for even Wisky, OSU, Michigan.  Big thing will be building confidence in the non con which will be tricky and then taking advantages of breaks on the road when given and hope to god a new staff has this team on a whole different mental toughness level

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Under normal circumstances, with a good staff, next years schedule would not be deemed an impossible buzzsaw. But, even if we get the best coach and staff possible, this team has to get mentally unf#cked before they can compete with any of those 12 teams. That is not a quick or easy job after these past 5 years. I expect a better record and much better game performance next year but let’s be realistic, predicting 9 wins after the sh#tfest that was this year probably isn’t reasonable. How about we just be happy with seeing notable progress for a year or two. Please remember and consider what you saw transpire in our last 17 or so games. This team is soft, mentally fragile and apparently hasn’t been taught jack sh#t about how to play or win football games. It would be next to impossible for any of the best coaches of the last 100 years to get this team to 9 wins next year.

+1 to you sir.

As much as I can't stand PJ Fleck's schtick I really liked his comment on his first year with Minnesota being 'Year Zero' in that this year was more focused on getting his guys in the program, running off the guys who didn't buy in, etc.  I really think Frost is looking at almost a complete tear down.  He obviously has talented players to work with but I'm completely willing to write off next season as long as we're seeing good signs towards long term success.  I have zero expectations for next year in terms of a record.

Assuming Nebraska recruits at the same level it has for the past few years (maybe a small bump due to Frost) I feel safe in projecting that Nebraska's win total will be 6 with heavy juice or 6.5.

Edited by Xmas32
  • Plus1 2

I see no reason we do not start 3-0.  MIchigan at the Big House will be a challenge.  I will take a 3-0 start no matter who is the coach.

WE start the year 3-0, then we have an outstanding chance to win 7 games.   I see no reason entering the Ohio St game we shouldn't be 5-3 or 6-2.  This is if your really buying into the recruiting numbers.  Which those numbers are to me meaningless.  I think you do what you do.  If a new coach really improves a team with just coaching, then yes I see us winning 7 games.  No pressure on Frost or whomever.  Just expectations that are not over the top.  7 wins is not that unrealistic by any means.  I don't get those who have no expectations.  No expectations me that we would be happy with another 4-8 season?  We all know that is not realistic by any means, by any coach.

18 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

+1 to you sir.

As much as I can't stand PJ Fleck's schtick I really liked his comment on his first year with Minnesota being 'Year Zero' in that this year was more focused on getting his guys in the program, running off the guys who didn't buy in, etc.  I really think Frost is looking at almost a complete tear down.  He obviously has talented players to work with but I'm completely willing to write off next season as long as we're seeing good signs towards long term success.  I have zero expectations for next year in terms of a record.

Assuming Nebraska recruits at the same level it has for the past few years (maybe a small bump due to Frost) I feel safe in projecting that Nebraska's win total will be 6 with heavy juice or 6.5.

I completely agree with the bolded.  If there is any truth to Moos' comments about the team leaving locker rooms, buses, and planes a mess, it will take a year to get things like that straightened out.  It will take time to answer the question of "who wants to do this thing the right way, and who is just here to party and play?"

I coach 7th grade and my players will run after penalties in practice, they will run if not paying attention in practice, they will run for detentions, etc.  There is rarely a complaint if they they know they are running for doing something wrong, they just groan and go do it.  But, if I threaten running for leaving a dirty bus, it is amazing the amount of snide comments uttered under their breaths.  They just don't understand the importance of "team" discipline yet.  I would hope college players would get that by the age of 18.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I see no reason we do not start 3-0.  MIchigan at the Big House will be a challenge.  I will take a 3-0 start no matter who is the coach.

WE start the year 3-0, then we have an outstanding chance to win 7 games.   I see no reason entering the Ohio St game we shouldn't be 5-3 or 6-2.  This is if your really buying into the recruiting numbers.  Which those numbers are to me meaningless.  I think you do what you do.  If a new coach really improves a team with just coaching, then yes I see us winning 7 games.  No pressure on Frost or whomever.  Just expectations that are not over the top.  7 wins is not that unrealistic by any means.  I don't get those who have no expectations.  No expectations me that we would be happy with another 4-8 season?  We all know that is not realistic by any means, by any coach.

I have no expectations in the instance that I think we experience serious growing pains @ QB unless Nebraska absolutely crushes it with a JUCO plus the RB situation is maybe the worst it's ever been in the past 20 years.

Nebraska will have one of the more difficult schedules in the country next year.  Just looking at the Big Ten schedule alone, we play all the top teams outside of Penn State, and many of those games are on the road.  I am not sure if there are many teams in the conference that will have as difficult of a conference schedule as Nebraska.  Unless some thing the BIG is weak, having the toughest schedule in what I believe to be a tough conference puts Nebraska's schedule as one of the tougher ones nationally. 

Before this season, I felt that a disappointing year that kept Riley around (something like 7 wins), would mean 2018 was put up or shut up time. With a second year in the defense and a second year with “their offense,” road games against Wisconsin and Iowa shouldn’t be scary.

Now that we will have a new staff, I think it’s unfair to assume a major turnaround. I agree that a better staff will get more out of this team but it’s still a tough schedule. And I’m sure a lot of those teams are penciling in us as a win, as disappointing as that is to type.

People saying it's not that tough need to consider what options there are for crossover games.

Ohio State

Penn State
Michigan State

Michigan
Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana

We have 3 crossover games and next season they are 3 of the 4 best teams in the east. We didn't get any of the worst 3 teams. Compare it to Wisconsin's schedule this year. They got Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan.

Not saying we're going to lose to everyone but it's pretty tough for a rebuilding year. I think Frost would be given a pass for going 6-6 though.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

So I might be reading into this too much, but what I am seeing is that we are ok with winning 5-6 games next season, as long as we have a new coach?  I mean, we just played a tough, very tough schedule and 4-8 wasnt what we expected.  Now we fire a coach, who most never thought belonged, and we are going to be ok with winnning the same amount of games!  I think we all wanted a new coach.  I think that it will take a few seasons to get fully equipped to win the West side.  However, I see nothing that says we can't win 7 fringin games next year.  Can't believe I am reading this today, when we have been fed up with what happened this season.

We hear often that NU has out recruited the BigTen West - It seems like skilled players have higher rankings then lineman.  My question is do we recruit a higher % of skilled players to lineman compared to the other BigTen teams? hence increasing our team rank but not maximizing the product on the field?  I know it could be looked up however seems like a lot of work to look at 7 teams over the past 6/7 years.....

Edited by GBRFAN

4 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Sat, Sep 1   Akron Lincoln Win
Sat, Sep 8   Colorado Lincoln Win
Sat, Sep 15   Troy Lincoln Win
Sat, Sep 22   @ Michigan Ann Arbor Loss
Sat, Sep 29   Purdue Lincoln Win
Sat, Oct 6   @ Wisconsin Madison Loss
Sat, Oct 13   @ Northwestern Evanston Win
Sat, Oct 20   Minnesota Lincoln Loss
Sat, Nov 3   @ Ohio State Columbus Loss
Sat, Nov 10   Illinois Lincoln Win
Sat, Nov 17   Michigan State Lincoln Toss-up
Fri, Nov 23   @ Iowa Iowa City Loss

6-6 or 7-5 seem reasonable, given our tough away schedule.

What!? No Penn State on the road, weak schedule.  Seriously though, anyone looking at that schedule that doesn't think that is a buzz saw is crazy.  Here is Iowa's schedule for 2018, same Iowa team that just put a 40 point whooping on us at home.

NIU

@Iowa State

Northern Iowa

Wisconsin

@Minn

@Indiana

Maryland

@Penn Satate

@Purdue

Northwestern

@Illinois

NU

Their cross divisions are @Penn State (tough), and then @Indiana and Maryland.

We drew @Michigan, @Ohio State, and Michigan state.  3 or 4 best teams  of the East division and 2 of them on the road.  Plus we are @wisconsin  and @iowa.  This schedule sucks and is indicative of the crap schedules we have had since joining the Big 10.  This is going to be a tough year 1 for whomever we hire trying to implement a new system with probably a new quarterback.  Patience is going to be the word of the season.

5 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

EOPPONENT / LOCATION TIME / RESULTTV
Sat, Sep 1   Akron Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Sat, Sep 8   Colorado Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Sat, Sep 15   Troy Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Sat, Sep 22   @ Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA TBA
Sat, Sep 29   Purdue Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Sat, Oct 6   @ Wisconsin Madison, Wisc. TBA TBA
Sat, Oct 13   @ Northwestern Evanston, Ill. TBA TBA
Sat, Oct 20   Minnesota Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Sat, Nov 3   @ Ohio State Columbus, Ohio TBA TBA
Sat, Nov 10   Illinois Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Sat, Nov 17   Michigan State Lincoln, Neb. TBA TBA
Fri, Nov 23   @ Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA TBA

It looked somewhat tougher a few months ago when Colorado was coming off their best season in years, and Michigan and Iowa were looking tougher.

Still pretty tough considering five of the toughest six games are on the road - Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State and Iowa with only Michigan State at home.

Considering we'll have two transition recruiting classes (read: not as much talent) on the roster plus learning a fourth defense in four years plus changing offenses, it'll be interesting.  It will take a pretty impressive effort to win at Michigan or Ohio State.  We'll have to play pretty well to win against Michigan State and at Wisconsin but I wouldn't rule it out.  Northwestern and Iowa plus maybe Minnesota will be toss-up games that I give us a slight edge in.  I would think we should be able to beat Akron, Colorado, Troy, Purdue and Illinois.  So I would think 6-6 would be the floor with 7-5 fairly likely.  And I wouldn't rule out 8-4 if things go well.