2017 Coaching Changes- So Far!

Nebhawk

I'm not looking to start a big long discussion but in all seriousness.  I'm actually kind of shocked that Pelini's name has not come up in some of these searches.  He did seem to excel as a DC in the SEC, and the recruiting is pretty easy down there also, not to mention he does have experience at a P5 school.  Either of the Mississippi schools, Arkansas.  The mid-level SEC schools I would think would be a decent fit for him.

2 minutes ago, soup said:

I'm not looking to start a big long discussion but in all seriousness.  I'm actually kind of shocked that Pelini's name has not come up in some of these searches.  He did seem to excel as a DC in the SEC, and the recruiting is pretty easy down there also, not to mention he does have experience at a P5 school.  Either of the Mississippi schools, Arkansas.  The mid-level SEC schools I would think would be a decent fit for him.

It's going to take a while for AD's to forget him burning bridges on his way out of Lincoln. Professionalism matters. But some school will take a chance eventually - well, they will if Pelini does better than his 6-5 record from this season.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's going to take a while for AD's to forget him burning bridges on his way out of Lincoln. Professionalism matters. But some school will take a chance eventually - well, they will if Pelini does better than his 6-5 record from this season.

I agree, but I would figure a UTEP or a Rice or someone like that would at least ask the question and take a chance on a coach that has shown he can do "ok" as a FBS coach.

1 hour ago, soup said:

I agree, but I would figure a UTEP or a Rice or someone like that would at least ask the question and take a chance on a coach that has shown he can do "ok" as a FBS coach.

Pelini's record at YSU isn't bad but it's not great either:

5-6

12-4

6-5

If he'd followed up that 12-4 year with another good year, he might have been looked at harder. The coaching carousel isn't finished yet, so anything is possible.

What's Next for Oregon? Leading Candidates for the Ducks' Open Job

With Willie Taggart moving on to the FSU, a very good job in the Pac-12 reopens. Whoever gets the job is going to inherit a pretty talented squad led by a potential first-round QB in Justin Herbert. Among those SI expects to get strong consideration for the vacancy: former Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, Washington State’s Mike Leach, Fresno State’s Jeff Tedford, Boise State’s Bryan Harsin and former Florida coach Jim McElwain, as well as Oregon offensive coordinator Mario Cristobal and defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, the former USF coach. Sumlin, Leach, Tedford and McElwain all have strong ties within the Oregon power base.

• Plus1 1