Moos Cautions Players to Be Patient

Mavric

41 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Lol. He didn't redshirt (unless I'm mistaken)... So he wants to set the school record and then go sit on a bench for a year? Grow up Stanley, calm tf down. 

32 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

That would be a very poor decision for him. 

Please, tell us more about what a young man that you don't know should do and what the right and wrong decisions for him are. 

Stanley tweeted something very reasonable. He loves this program, understands Nebraska is bigger than the coaching staff that brought him here, but also has reservations and concerns about what the changes will do to him, and frustration that the coach he spends the most time with who has turned him into the player he is will likely no longer be there. Grow up and realize that none if this is immature to think or process through.

27 minutes ago, GBRHouston said:

God. Something that we don't like happened so instead of sticking out and seeing what comes of it we're just going to bail out when something we don't like happens because that's how life works!

Why should somebody stick something out if they have other things in front of them that they're pretty sure are better options? What exactly is the point in doing it? I hope they heed Moos' advice and are as patient as they can be with their decision-making, but only because I want the best for all of them which means having good info and a complete picture to act on. I would hate for any of them to make a hasty decision either way that could turn out to hurt them.

These players need to, and should, make the best decisions for themselves. They don't owe this school/program/team/state any undying loyalty or absolute commitment or anything like that. A lot of them will stay, and we'll be thankful that they do because we have a bias and a vested interest. Some of them will leave, and we should wish them nothing but success and support them in their decisions.

Edited by Landlord
  • Plus1 8

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would think with the season he had plus his size that he would get drafted in the mid to late rounds.  If that's the choice he wants to make, then more power to him.

A lot of his numbers can be attributed to volume, though. With the reduced number of available receivers and high number of pass attempts in catch up mode, he had an increased opportunity to put up numbers. The NFL won't be distracted by all of that when they start breaking down tape.

If Frost is the hire, and he runs something similar to what he runs now, Morgan will likely increase his draft stock by staying. He has to get better at route running and has to show he can be more reliable in making the every down type catch. He has the size to play in the NFL, but he doesn't have the measurables to inflate his draft stock. He's a guy who has to convince scouts by what's on the tape.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

They are simply trying to get their guy a job back.  I don’t blame them and it could happen.  Keith Williams is a great coach and his guys love him.   I don’t blame them at all

He is not a great coach,.  His players lack discipline, and accountability.  There is nothing great about him at all.  They reflect his its not really my fault mentality. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I hate to be “that” guy but I don’t want ANY player that is more committed to a position coach than they are to helping this team be successful and actually win games.  Yeah we have some pretty talented young men at the wideout position and it would hurt to lose any of them but if they are unable to see the larger picture then get out and good luck. There’s a reason this team only won 4 games this season and if they don’t want that problem corrected, bye.

You make a good point.  I think for many of these players, the big picture is more about getting into the NFL rather than winning championships at Nebraska.

I think that was the recruiting angle of Riley’s staff.  They portray Nebraska as the channel into the NFL and a place to develop their talent and skill.  Winning for Nebraska almost seemed secondary.  

These players are committed to themselves, as they should be. They have a lot of doubts about their future at Nebraska right now. For some, those doubts will be answered. For others, they will not. Fans plainly don't especially give a damn about what happens to these players or what's good for them. If it's not also good for UNL football, forget it.

But these are real human beings here, and sometimes their larger picture isn't ours. 

Darn right winning sports game for the fans is secondary to developing their abilities and trying to best position themselves for a career in football. It's weird that we think that's a bad thing.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, secretasianman said:

You make a good point.  I think for many of these players, the big picture is more about getting into the NFL rather than winning championships at Nebraska.

I think that was the recruiting angle of Riley’s staff.  They portray Nebraska as the channel into the NFL and a place to develop their talent and skill.  Winning for Nebraska almost seemed secondary.  

It doesnt matter where you play, if you dont play well forget the NFL.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, secretasianman said:

Gee, I wonder if any other schools use this heinous recruiting strategy?  Oh, right. ALL of them.

Deciding to only recruit kids that are not trying to get into the NFL is a much better strategy.

5 hours ago, zoogs said:

These players are committed to themselves, as they should be. They have a lot of doubts about their future at Nebraska right now. For some, those doubts will be answered. For others, they will not. Fans plainly don't especially give a damn about what happens to these players or what's good for them. If it's not also good for UNL football, forget it.

But these are real human beings here, and sometimes their larger picture isn't ours. 

Darn right winning sports game for the fans is secondary to developing their abilities and trying to best position themselves for a career in football. It's weird that we think that's a bad thing.

I agree with you, it is weird that us fans generally look at it that way... But at the same time, it's equally weird, and a real shame, that the NFL is such a dream destination.

Idealy these kids find universities that they're comfortable at, and are majoring in areas they want to pursue outside of football someday.... The NFL is a fun lottery ticket to work towards, but its contributions to the home communities of these players are minimal, and the folks that run the show will dump the players and/or coaches as fast or faster than us fans.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The fact it...when a new coach comes in...you want a few transfers.  

What do you mean? A few transfers out or in?

With as thin as our roster is, I hope we hold onto everyone. We need all hands on deck, and then some walkons too. They might not fit perfectly into the system, but we need good leaders and people willing to work through some adversity.