Erik Chinander

Chinander’s D didn’t look like anything special against Memphis, but I think at this point we’re comparing apples to oranges and there’s no way to know how it will translate to these players here in the Arctic League without seeing it on the field.

I think they’ll figure it out as well as anybody.

• Plus1 1
On 12/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Whomever Frost hires for assistants are going to get my full support.  I mean, they can't be as bad as the guys we just got rid of, right?

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Considering a monkey with chalk and a chalkboard could have done the job at DC just as well, I am going to give the guy a chance and time.

I think y'all should start off being optimistic. And there could be a number of reasons why the defense looked so bad. 

I'm mostly just putting these posts on here because I think y'all will turn on Chinander like we did and then I can come back here and be like, "I know, right? Chinan(d)er is the worst..." and we can commiserate together. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The good news is, the defense likely won't have to be great once Frost's offense really starts rolling after a couple years, and given the offense Nebraska will run, it's probably not fair to expect the defense to consistently shut people down. Somewhere around 22-25 ppg would be nice.

That's exactly what I have been saying.. somewhere around 20 ppg would be just fine when the offense is putting up 40+ ppg. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, rustyred said:

That's exactly what I have been saying.. somewhere around 20 ppg would be just fine when the offense is putting up 40+ ppg. 

In 2017, giving up 20 points per game would be ranked 20th, and 24 points per game would be ranked 43rd.  I think those rankings are plenty solid enough if the offense was in the top 10-20.  I would be happy with both of those rankings.

• Plus1 3
57 minutes ago, rustyred said:

Kind of interesting what 4 points does.. from ranked 20th, to 43rd. But I agree. If we have a 20-40th ranked defense with a top 10 offense... that could be a deadly combo. 

Well, really it shows that there isn't a huge difference between the 20th to the 50th team in the country in terms of points per game.  That's basically the start of the bell curve.

Considering Frost played some defense at Stanford, played defense in the NFL, and started his coaching career on the defensive side; it wouldn't be a stretch to assume he's had input on the defensive side at UCF.  As long as Frost and Chinander have been together, there must be a lot of faith and trust there.  I have trust in Frost, so I have trust in Chinander.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Not bad for a guy Frost moved to LB from Safety.....Who was buried on the depth chart until Frost and Co.....Great little side note here:

"There's not a player I've coached who practices harder than he does," says Frost. Last year, leading up to UCF's Oct. 29, 2016, game against Houston, Shaquem had fallen and broken his right hand. He arrived in Houston wearing a cast on the hand. Fearing he wouldn't play, he cut off the cast. His coaches told him he could play, but he'd have to wear a soft cast that constricted the movement of his fingers. In a 31–24 loss, Shaquem made 14 tackles. He sacked Greg Ward Jr. twice by himself and assisted on another sack. He recovered a fumble and picked off a pass that had caromed off a defensive lineman. "I've played football one-handed," he says. "I've played football with no hands."

Edited by lo country
  • Plus1 3