Finding Devaney

Mavric

What NBA talk on a Husker thread............wow!

I agree with those that think Phil was overrated.  I think in given time no matter who coached the Bulls, they were destined to win championships.  Jordan by himself was leading the way and almost doing it on his own.  The two years that Jordan retired from the team, they didn't win it, with Phil coaching the team.  Enough said.

6 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Not even a respectable mention of "The Admiral"?  Come on David Robinson is going to come kick you in the sack.

7 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all time and Tony Parker was All-NBA and MVP of the 2007 Finals.  Kawhi Leonard was the 2014 Finals MVP, All-NBA and 2x Defensive player of the year.

Pop is a great coach, but to say he never had mega stars is crazy talk.  Phil Jackson also won two Championships with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.  Not exactly Shaq.

Sorry but Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq are in another universe compared to Parker/(aging)Duncan(aging)big shot bob...you are just proving my point: Popovich accomplished similar results with less and always with solid fundamentals.  Leonard plays in the current weak-every-kid-gets-a-trophy-dont-foul-me-or-ill-call-my-mommy NBA so comparison is moot.  If Popovich had either of the two aforementioned tandems he probably would have never lost a game.  As to the Robinson comment,  he is not in the same stratosphere as Jordan.  See: first dream team scrimmages and also how many times MJ posterized him.  The Admiral is a legend though and the consummate gentleman. 

4 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I agree with those that think Phil was overrated.  I think in given time no matter who coached the Bulls, they were destined to win championships.  Jordan by himself was leading the way and almost doing it on his own.  The two years that Jordan retired from the team, they didn't win it, with Phil coaching the team.  Enough said.

You don't get to say, "No matter who coached them they would have won championships", then turn around and say, "When the coach didn't have the best player in the world he didn't win a championship" Those are on opposite sides of the spectrum as far as logic goes.

Because, you know, I think in given time no matter who was the best player on the Bulls, with Phil coaching the team they were destined to win championships. The two years that Jordan played in Washington without Phil Jackson, he didn't win the championship. Enough said.

18 minutes ago, HIHusker said:

Sorry but Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq are in another universe compared to Parker/(aging)Duncan(aging)big shot bob...you are just proving my point: Popovich accomplished similar results with less and always with solid fundamentals.  Leonard plays in the current weak-every-kid-gets-a-trophy-dont-foul-me-or-ill-call-my-mommy NBA so comparison is moot.  If Popovich had either of the two aforementioned tandems he probably would have never lost a game.  As to the Robinson comment,  he is not in the same stratosphere as Jordan.  See: first dream team scrimmages and also how many times MJ posterized him.  The Admiral is a legend though and the consummate gentleman. 

If you can't see that Pop had the greatest player at his position in the history of the game and multiple other All-NBA players with him, I've got nothing else to say to you.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

If you can't see that Pop had the greatest player at his position in the history of the game and multiple other All-NBA players with him, I've got nothing else to say to you.

I'd argue Charles Barkley was a better player at PF.  Coaches/players agree.