Favorite Non-Competition Moments

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

In 1891 George Flippin, the son of a freed slave, became the first black player at NU and fifth overall at a predominantly white university.

And Missouri forfeited a game against us because they wouldn't play against Flippin.  Missouri wouldn't have a Black player on their team until 1957, more than 65 years after Flippin played for Nebraska. 

• Plus1 2

If we are talking about just in the past MR and Bo years, then these come to mind besides those already mentioned:

Mike Riley  having a team meeting wt the lady who was sexually abused by some Oregon State players.  It was a proud moment for MR to face this issue head on and it was happening as Baylor was being rocked by even worse allegations.    I was proud of the Husker program for doing so.

Hiring of Bill Moos

Tom's farewell after retiring as AD at NU

image.png.435ff60129e513b1358c4b2b1d31d769.png

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 2
5 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now why did you have to go and do that?  I can enjoy non competition moments and not have it cloud my judgement on what a coach is ultimately graded on.

I think a lot of the ones mentioned were really good.  I like to think of a few that get lost in the shuffle or that maybe no one saw unless they were there.

2 years ago at the NU @ Minnesota game, the University of Minnesota honored a woman named Liz Sroufus.  She was 95 at the time.  She was one of the first female fighter pilots in WWII.  There was a standing ovation for her by Gophers and Huskers fans alike.  It was a great moment. She passed away a year later and the airport from her hometown was named after her. It was a great honor to be there and witness that.  Here is a little bit more about her https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/elizabeth-strohfus-world-war-ii-era-pilot-dies-at-96/2016/03/08/b0352e08-e553-11e5-b0fd-073d5930a7b7_story.html?utm_term=.a9e91d088351  

Another moment is during the 55-45 loss at Purdue in 2015 when Jack Gangwish climbed into the stands to thank Husker fans for being there for the team despite the outcome.

Another is when Gangwish killed a racoon with a wrench :)

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now why did you have to go and do that?  I can enjoy non competition moments and not have it cloud my judgement on what a coach is ultimately graded on.

Because that's literally what you said.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:57 PM, StPaulHusker said:

I hate to break this to you.  But it is ONLY about the W-L column.  Nothing else matters in collegiate/professional sports.

46 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Because that's literally what you said.

I think you just want to start a fight.  You know exactly what I was talking about in that conversation.  Because it ALL centered around coaches winning and losing and not about any good memorable moments outside of the scope of the competition.   

So please let me know.  Are you ignorant or are you combative?  

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think you just want to start a fight.  You know exactly what I was talking about in that conversation.  Because it ALL centered around coaches winning and losing and not about any good memorable moments outside of the scope of the competition.   

So please let me know.  Are you ignorant or are you combative?  

I've been listening to a college basketball podcast the past few weeks.  The podcast has a regular segment called "Good guys" where they discuss how coaches aren't winning enough, but the local media can't be overly critical of that coach, because they don't want to lose the access to that college basketball program.  So, they always couch their criticism of the coach with "He's a good guy".  I immediately thought of Mike Riley and his tenure at Nebraska.  That's what his entire tenure at Nebraska was with the media and a good portion of the fans.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

You know exactly what I was talking about in that conversation.  Because it ALL centered around coaches winning and losing and not about any good memorable moments outside of the scope of the competition.

It's all within the scope of the competition. Maybe it's ignorance to hear someone say that winning and losing are all that matters, and take them at their word? I just think that even within the context you're talking about what you said made zero sense. I will admit I definitely like arguing though :lol: 

Was Bo Pelini fired because he didn't win enough games, or because he didn't win enough games to get away with his attitude and public image? Also, what was the reason for his not-so-subtle PR campaign in the offseason of '13 trying to rehab his image if all that matters is wins and losses? 

Was Art Briles fired because of wins and losses? 

What about Mark Mangino or Mike Leach? 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's all within the scope of the competition. Maybe it's ignorance to hear someone say that winning and losing are all that matters, and take them at their word? I just think that even within the context you're talking about what you said made zero sense. I will admit I definitely like arguing though :lol: 

Was Bo Pelini fired because he didn't win enough games, or because he didn't win enough games to get away with his attitude and public image? Also, what was the reason for his not-so-subtle PR campaign in the offseason of '13 trying to rehab his image if all that matters is wins and losses? 

Was Art Briles fired because of wins and losses? 

What about Mark Mangino or Mike Leach? 

Briles was fired due to public pressure.  There are still people on that campus that want him there because he was winning.

Pelini would not have been fired if it weren’t for his bad losses.  He hit his ceiling at 9/10-4.  His attitude just made easier.  There are people still on this board that didn’t want Pelini fired because he won those games.

Leach would have likely still been employed by TTU had it not been the son of a famous person that he locked in the shed.  And it’s because he won.  Our current AD hired him a year or so later at WSU because he won.

Mangino’s behavior was overlooked for 7 years before Kansas did anything about him because he was winning.

Anymore examples you’d like to bring up?