Avengers: Infinity War

Took my 5 yr old to it today and I thought it was just ok. Lots of jumping around and Disney needs to tone down on the comedic jokes cause they heaved up a lot but lead to air balls instead. Laughed at 2-3 scenes

Got goosebumps on Caps first scene and then the Avengers theme song kicked

Fight scene at the end was pretty cool though. 

Boy it didn’t take Thanos long to get all of those stones. Like we had all those other Marvel movies in between this movie and the first Avengers so makes you wonder why Thanos took his time or what the hold up was lol

2 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Saw it Sunday, thought it was going to end with Thanos snapping his fingers as it happened and it went to white.  But I do think that the way it happened is the only way the good guys can win.  Strange quickly flipped from wanting to guard the time stone even if it meant dying to giving it up once Tony got stabbed.

Yea, it's pretty clear that Strange giving up the time Stone is a part of the 1/14,000,000 way than Thanos actually loses. 

• 7 months later...

Watching this on Netflix and found myself largely disinterested by about 10 minutes in. These movies are just too much, I guess. I greatly enjoyed many of the MCU movies that focused on individual characters, but the ensemble Avengers movies (and Civil War) lost me. Too much action at the expense of actual story. Trying to squeeze in too many things, can’t get emotionally invested. Watching Infinity War, it goes straight into fighting, characters dying, and it seems like a long list of recurring cameos and special effects more so than a coherent story.

7 hours ago, Ulty said:

Watching this on Netflix and found myself largely disinterested by about 10 minutes in. These movies are just too much, I guess. I greatly enjoyed many of the MCU movies that focused on individual characters, but the ensemble Avengers movies (and Civil War) lost me. Too much action at the expense of actual story. Trying to squeeze in too many things, can’t get emotionally invested. Watching Infinity War, it goes straight into fighting, characters dying, and it seems like a long list of recurring cameos and special effects more so than a coherent story.

I disagree. The story is coherent and moves at a good pace. The trouble with an ensemble movie like this is that the character development and emotional investment were in the previous movies that led up to this one. It's a new way of doing movies and storytelling - more like a long-running miniseries than stand alone movies - so not everyone is going to like it. Personally, I think it's great since it doesn't require every movie to develop all the characters and instead can spend time on the current plot instead of catching everyone up.

8 hours ago, Ulty said:

I actually thought they did a pretty tremendous job fleshing out characters and providing character arcs and beats for most of the key players. They gave Thanos an at least passable motivation to serve as a sort of moral dilemma. Kept hitting father/mentor/legacy beats with Tony Stark and his relationship to Peter Parker coinciding with his struggles or burden of leadership and sacrifice. Even the alpha male competition dichotomy (and later trichotomy) with Stark/Strange/Star Lord was entertaining, mostly because the interactions and the plot progression were centered in each character. There were decent juxtapositions of the large stakes of Thanos wiping out half the universe with the smaller stakes of things like Scarlet Witch trying to save the mandroid she loves. 

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day, this is much more like jumping into Season 3 Episode 16 of a non-serialized TV series more than it is jumping into a movie. Its biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness, which is that the movie doesn't need to spend time on certain foundational work because 18 films before it already have. I thought the Russo brothers did a mostly great job, though. 

• Plus1 2