Avengers: Infinity War

On 12/31/2018 at 2:01 AM, Landlord said:

I actually thought they did a pretty tremendous job fleshing out characters and providing character arcs and beats for most of the key players. They gave Thanos an at least passable motivation to serve as a sort of moral dilemma. Kept hitting father/mentor/legacy beats with Tony Stark and his relationship to Peter Parker coinciding with his struggles or burden of leadership and sacrifice. Even the alpha male competition dichotomy (and later trichotomy) with Stark/Strange/Star Lord was entertaining, mostly because the interactions and the plot progression were centered in each character. There were decent juxtapositions of the large stakes of Thanos wiping out half the universe with the smaller stakes of things like Scarlet Witch trying to save the mandroid she loves. 

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day, this is much more like jumping into Season 3 Episode 16 of a non-serialized TV series more than it is jumping into a movie. Its biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness, which is that the movie doesn't need to spend time on certain foundational work because 18 films before it already have. I thought the Russo brothers did a mostly great job, though. 

Maybe that's my problem...I have seen a lot of the other Marvel movies, but not all of them, and not in order. But I like the character development in the other movies and guess the nonstop action doesn't really entertain me as much. To each their own, I suppose.

One of my friends always wants to talk about the MCU films and what's coming next but I've only seen these:

Iron Man 1, 2, & 3

The Incredible Hulk

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

Marvel's The Avengers

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2

I'm just kinda burnt out on the superhero crap :dunno 

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:22 AM, Ulty said:

Maybe that's my problem...I have seen a lot of the other Marvel movies, but not all of them, and not in order. But I like the character development in the other movies and guess the nonstop action doesn't really entertain me as much. To each their own, I suppose.

I finally saw Infinity War this weekend and your overall view of the movie is pretty close to mine, I think.

I wasn't necessarily disinterested after 10 minutes, but I walked away thinking it was all just a little too much. Too much story, too much convenience. It's like Landlord said - their greatest strength is their greatest weakness, and that's the abundance of content available in their playground. Some elements of it were really, really good, but I never felt a strong sense of congruency with all of the moving pieces. But, that's the direction they've taken the series, and the only way they're going to maintain overall fan interest is to keep increasing the stakes and the flashiness.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:41 AM, GSG said:

I'm just kinda burnt out on the superhero crap :dunno 

I'm mostly there, too. I've liked several of the Marvel movies. Many of them have been great but, similar to what I said in relation to Ulty, they just all keep going to sort of outrageous heights. It's a side effect of how much content they've produced and the need to satisfy a pretty robust fan base. I don't really fault them for it but, at the same time, I can't really get into it that deeply either.

• Plus1 1