Reaction to Frost Hire Thread

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There was a lot of discussion on this in the megathread...i think somewhere between page 300 and page 310....where Benning had some beef with Frost back from the 90s.  It sounded like sour grapes on Bennings part.

Damon isn’t anti Frost, rather he is supportive. He has been on the side of being leery of the fans making SF a god before he has even coached a game yet, he has been voicing patience and has pushed back on the over the top expectations. People seem to be reading that as Damon being anti SF.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Damon isn’t anti Frost, rather he is supportive. He has been on the side of being leery of the fans making SF a god before he has even coached a game yet, he has been voicing patience and has pushed back on the over the top expectations. People seem to be reading that as Damon being anti SF.

As he should.  We've seen the unreal expectations right here on this board.  

It has been a long time since I have been this excited about Nebraska Football.  I have been through a lot as a Husker fan.  I vaguely remember the "Game of the Century" but definitely remember the agony of the '84 Orange Bowl and the ecstasy of the '94 orange Bowl.  I believe myself and my group of friends actually cried when TO finally won it. 

Now is a totally new feeling of joy.  I am optimistic and excited for Coach Frost to return us to prominence but realize it will not be instantaneous.  I am looking forward to the effort and desire of his teams.  I feel like that has been lacking for a long time.  HCSF was here the last time we all saw that desire and passion displayed by the team and I think he is the right coach to return us to that point. 

I am sure many of you will agree that while watching his press conference you felt that lump in your throat and that feeling in your gut we used to get when the Huskers took the field.  That feeling, unfortunately has been missing for a long time.  This just feels RIGHT!!!

• Plus1 3

Not to be a grumbler, but I guess I was expecting different from Scott in his introductory presser, his moment of triumph, than throwing shade at an AD that was already fired before he got here and menacing reporters with "I'm gonna lose it on every one of you if you approach my family. It's already happened." And to repeat that warning after the most anodyne of questions (what his mom and dad expressed to him after his game this weekend).

I've been really excited about Frost, but I also had it in my head that he would be much the same paragon of professionalism and kindness to people that Riley was. I suppose we're going to learn a lot about who he is in the coming years. May times always be good.

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Not to be a grumbler, but I guess I was expecting different from Scott in his introductory presser, his moment of triumph, than throwing shade at an AD that was already fired before he got here and menacing reporters with "I'm gonna lose it on every one of you if you approach my family. It's already happened." And to repeat that warning after the most anodyne of questions (what his mom and dad expressed to him after his game this weekend).

I've been really excited about Frost, but I also had it in my head that he would be much the same paragon of professionalism and kindness to people that Riley was. I suppose we're going to learn a lot about who he is in the coming years. May times always be good.

I think you're trying too hard to find something that was not absolutely perfect pertaining to this hire and the presser. He wasn't throwing shade, just telling it like it is. How else is he supposed to answer when asked why now was the right time? And he's seen how the microscope of the Nebraska football media has wandered in the past. I've got no problem whatsoever with him giving them fair warning. He's the coach and he'll gladly personally accept the scrutiny but there is no purpose whatsoever in letting it stray to his family. Why should that make you grumble? You're trying a bit too hard to prop up MR as somehow better in his demeanor.

• Plus1 7
2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Fully disagree with this assessment. He was direct and passionate and gave the impression of a guy that has a plan to return the program to where it belongs.

• Plus1 3

Frost doesn't coach speak, he says it like it is, that gains so much more respect and admiration from both fans and players.

To see these current players excited about Frost is really exciting. Maybe its because we saw such a bad transition of mentality from Pelini players to Riley, but the fact they are all fired up about the change is a good thing.

I have zero issue with Frost setting expectations with the media from the jump.  Frost strikes me as a guy who forgives but never forgets and remembers the crap the media (some of whom are still around) threw at him when he was in college.  The honeymoon period the media enjoyed when MR was at the helm is over.

• Plus1 3