Reaction to Frost Hire Thread

9 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

GRUMBLER, GRUMBLER!!!  lol.  I think he may have been a little gruff just from being so spent, both physically and emotionally.  He could have phrased it better, but I like the notion of setting boundaries....early.

No one handed him a bag of Runzas when he got off the plane?  :D     Or at least a slice of Val's pizza?

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I didn't know what to expect. I walked away being incredibly pleased simply because yesterday was all about culture and finding a way to make this work within the Nebraska mold. I also didn't interpret the comment about three years ago as him looking for a chance to get in a dig in on Eichorst. I think he was simply being honest by saying 'look, this university wasn't in a good place three years ago and I don't think I would've wanted to be a part of it then.' That said, I believe part of him is irritated that he didn't even get the chance to say no because of his passion and love for this state.

I'm torn on the stab at the media. Part of me thinks it was warranted and the other part of me feels it was superfluous. I only recall one media outlet appearing to be like vultures and go after his mom for an interview during the process. I believe it was WOWT. Most everyone else seemed to have the wherewithal to leave them be or just not report that they had contacted them to such grandeur levels. But, WOWT put Scott in a tough spot and I don't blame him for trying to curb that mentality early just in case anyone else got a similar idea.

Bolded is exactly what I believe as well +1.

Edited by TAKODA
  • Plus1 1
18 hours ago, zoogs said:

Not to be a grumbler, but I guess I was expecting different from Scott in his introductory presser, his moment of triumph, than throwing shade at an AD that was already fired before he got here and menacing reporters with "I'm gonna lose it on every one of you if you approach my family. It's already happened." And to repeat that warning after the most anodyne of questions (what his mom and dad expressed to him after his game this weekend).

I've been really excited about Frost, but I also had it in my head that he would be much the same paragon of professionalism and kindness to people that Riley was. I suppose we're going to learn a lot about who he is in the coming years. May times always be good.

You are the only person who would find negatives with Frost about "not being professional or kindness" just like your BFF Mike Riley.

If you want to take a look at how his players love Frost, take a look at pictures from the UCF locker room after the game and listen to the players' press conferences.  All of the players basically said that Frost was able to get the players to love each other again.  Frost was able to make huge differences in those kids' lives AND he was able to make them winners.  The only thing Riley did was be the nice grandpa to the players at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'm torn on the stab at the media. Part of me thinks it was warranted and the other part of me feels it was superfluous. I only recall one media outlet appearing to be like vultures and go after his mom for an interview during the process. I believe it was WOWT. Most everyone else seemed to have the wherewithal to leave them be or just not report that they had contacted them to such grandeur levels. But, WOWT put Scott in a tough spot and I don't blame him for trying to curb that mentality early just in case anyone else got a similar idea.

I sometimes feel like I'm in a small minority of people that just isn't that concerned with what our coaching staff says to the press as long as it doesn't negatively impact the players' life/playing career's trajectories or the outcome on the field.

This obsession with dissecting press conferences to the nth degree is what seems superfluous to me personally. 

Or also, what about this angle? Could we possibly all agree that:

1. If Scott Frost is taking care of his players and growing them into quality young men

-and-

2. If Scott Frost puts a product on the football field that Husker Nation can be proud of

that we should try to honor requests he has where he frankly asks all of us to not do things that distract and detract from accomplishing those two things above? Doesn't that follow? Doesn't it seem obvious?

I'm fully on board with Frost's direct leadership style. It's refreshing, frankly. 

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I loved the presser, loved his answers and I loved how professional and nice he was.

I thought he would be grinning ear to ear if this was his dream job. He probably wasn't because he realized he isn't inheriting Tom Osborne's team. A lot has changed in 20 years and he knows the rebuild is no small task. I hope he has success here and can bring back some swagger.

56 minutes ago, Undone said:

I sometimes feel like I'm in a small minority of people that just isn't that concerned with what our coaching staff says to the press as long as it doesn't negatively impact the players' life/playing career's trajectories or the outcome on the field.

This obsession with dissecting press conferences to the nth degree is what seems superfluous to me personally. 

Or also, what about this angle? Could we possibly all agree that:

1. If Scott Frost is taking care of his players and growing them into quality young men

-and-

2. If Scott Frost puts a product on the football field that Husker Nation can be proud of

that we should try to honor requests he has where he frankly asks all of us to not do things that distract and detract from accomplishing those two things above? Doesn't that follow? Doesn't it seem obvious?

I'm fully on board with Frost's direct leadership style. It's refreshing, frankly. 

I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying and I agree. I'm in the same boat. Personally, I almost never listen to press conferences because I just don't care.

The trouble is there are a lot of people who do care and click on that type of content. Plus, I think Frost making a point to say something is newsworthy. It's an odd balance.

I think you can't really separate all of those things, Undone. You can tell a lot about a guy by how he conducts himself when things are good. This was his triumph, a moment when everyone in the fanbase is fawning over him, the red carpet is being rolled out, and the media is completely uncritical. That he chose to take a small step out of his way to cast them as potential public enemy was...strange. It's one thing if he has issues with some of them and tries to handle that privately. I'm less enthused about using good times and goodwill as a bludgeon. We've seen that story before and it doesn't end well, especially when the heat turns up.

I've been really enthusiastic about Frost. This is the last thing I expected to see from him. It's just a footnote, for now, and hopefully it remains that way. But objectively, it's not the kind of action I like seeing our HC take.

Enhance put it well -- it's about Frost making a point of saying this, in these circumstances no less. I'm not going to argue that the media is right all the time. Clearly they have a job to do that puts them at odds, sometimes, with what the coaches are trying to do. And sometimes they'll even do bad things. That isn't the matter of interest here.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1
22 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Damon isn’t anti Frost, rather he is supportive. He has been on the side of being leery of the fans making SF a god before he has even coached a game yet, he has been voicing patience and has pushed back on the over the top expectations. People seem to be reading that as Damon being anti SF.

I 100% understand that and agree.. Sure there are reason to be excited/hopeful, but it needs to be tempered just a tad. Lets see how recruiting goes, lets see how the spring game looks, how the first game looks... that will give us a better idea!

Edited by Bornhusker