QB Adrian Martinez [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I may be thinking of a different play.  Wasn't the defender froze more by a fake pitch than a sharp cut?

It could have been a fake pitch that froze the defender but he was just outside enough that Milton's shiftiness/cutting ability/ elusiveness prevailed and made me question if Gebbia had that ability. TA no problem.Gebbia is TBD since I haven't seen him run similar plays.

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Funny how everyone is saying that a QB who played and was recruited for a different scheme is suddenly ok to run (and some even infer, will succeed greatly) one he never has before and he's suddenly going to be able to be a run threat (not a scramble threat).

Seems to me you guys might be ignoring a few things.

Also I'm not saying Gebbia can't put on weight... I only have one data point to reference for his weight.

common sense assumptions are allowed - typically underclassmen can put on 3-5% per season

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

UCF QBs (Milton and Vedra) passed the ball 389 times (29.9 times per game) compared to running it 111 times (9.25 times per game).

The QB being able to be an accurate and efficient passer is still way more important than being able to (take it to the house).  We need an accurate passer and one that can also pick up those 5-10 yards in space when it opens up or is the right read on a QB run.  That doesn't take a Taylor Martinez, Eric Crouch type of runner.

It's misleading to focus on how many runs he had per game. You have to look at how many plays ran were premised on the qb's ability to run and/or the qb being a true threat to run. Correct, you don't need to be a Martinez but if you don't have a solid Armstrong level runner it does present a schematic compromise that will really show against the better, faster defenses we play.  Milton is a hell of passer and that's the most important thing, but his athleticism comes into play way more than what shows-up on a stats line. 

Edited by Danimal
  • Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Adrian Martinez [Nebraska - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric pinned this topic