QB Adrian Martinez [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

7 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If he ran that as a sophomore I wouldnt be surprised to see him run a mid to high 4.5 range as college freshman.

Not sure how he was timed, etc. but going from 4.8 to 4.5 is highly unlikely.  Now if it were 4.65 to 4.50, yes, I can see that.  But by time you're a soph, you have most of your speed already developed.  Often you add weight and might lose a couple tenths or more.  Depends on how tall he was, etc.  If he was in mid growth spurt, yea, he can be a little clumsy during that time.  But  I'd say, based on the film, he is faster than 4.8.   He is likely faster, relatively speaking, in about 50 or 60 yards than in the short bursts.  To run 4.5 or less, you need to be very very quick and accelerate like crazy.  He shows more than adequate speed to run some option.  I would like him to be 6-3 and 215 or so but we will have to make due.   We need to focus on those short squatty O linemen Milt Tenopir liked (6-2 295) that can move their feet and can stay low and push.  I feel your QB needs to be nearly as tall or ideally taller than half the linemen as he needs to see over the middle somewhat. 

5 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I coach sprinters for a Class A program and was a multi-time All-American in college Track and Field.  This post, specifically the bolded portion, is so inaccurate it is laughable.

Track guys are not football players.   Most are lighter framed and don't add the weight.  track guys gain speed through practice at running.  They are not on the football field wearing pads and trying to be stronger and more physical.   Imo.  Many likely trim times by being better at running.  They get quicker starts and anticipate the start 'gun' etc.  Yes, some guys can 'learn' to run faster but I doubt seriously can take a 11.6 hundred guy and make him 10 flat.  Relatively speaking, that's about what your saying.    

Edited by 84HuskerLaw

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Track guys are not football players.   Most are lighter framed and don't add the weight.  track guys gain speed through practice at running.  They are not on the football field wearing pads and trying to be stronger and more physical.   Imo.  

No. Just no. You’re really trying to argue sophmores are faster than they will be their senior year? With all the football players I’ve played with and know this has never happened. 

Edited by bugeater17

I never said sophs are faster than seniors.   I did say that the difference in speed, of the two will be relatively modest if the kid gains 30 or 40 pounds, which many football players tend to do, in that aging process.   We are talking what he will run at NU aren't we?    Who cares what he runs his senior year in H.S.   We are also talking in general.  Specific individuals vary.  Heck, some guys don't really physically grow up until their early 20s.   I know a guy who graduate at age 18 and was 5-7.  By time he was 24, he was 5-11.   That is rare.   Most Huskers football recruits grow perhaps 1 or at most 2 inches from h.s. graduation day until their senior year of college.  Many hardly grow at all.  Some will fill out and can improve their speed but you are not going to teach a slow guy to be lightning fast.   You either have speed or you don't, for the most part.  imo

4.8 is NOT fast by my definition but 4.5 is.   You are talking 6 or 7 yards difference in th 40 between winner and loser I'd guess.   Lots of high school players can run in the 4.8 range I'd say.  That is probably 'average' for the faster guys on most high school football teams I'd guess.

Eric Crouch was pretty fast and I recall he ran around 10.6 hundred in state track meet.  Probably ran about 4.5 flat in the forty.  

Bobby Newcomb was extremely fast but I don't recall what his 100 time was but he had strides like a deer and probably excelled in the 200.  Just a gues.  He was a quick as Crouch but I think would beat Eric by 4 yards or more in the 100.  He'd be pulling away at 80 yard mark.  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Track guys are not football players.   Most are lighter framed and don't add the weight.  track guys gain speed through practice at running.  They are not on the football field wearing pads and trying to be stronger and more physical.   Imo.  Many likely trim times by being better at running.  They get quicker starts and anticipate the start 'gun' etc.  Yes, some guys can 'learn' to run faster but I doubt seriously can take a 11.6 hundred guy and make him 10 flat.  Relatively speaking, that's about what your saying.    

Literally my entire sprint crew are football players that lift and prepare for football all winter.  And no, I am not saying that.  You are clueless here man.

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Literally my entire sprint crew are football players that lift and prepare for football all winter.  And no, I am not saying that.  You are clueless here man.

Couldnt agree more. Most football players between their sophomore year of high school and by the time they leave college are all larger and faster. As a sophomore in track I was an 11.4 guy and as a senior I was a 10.8 guy. So to think that a kid like this who is receiving much better training and nutrition than I did when I was a kid is crazy talk. Also in football as a sophomore I was a high 4.7 guy and I was a mid 4.5 guy as a senior. So I have ZERO doubt that kid would run a 4.5 now.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Adrian Martinez [Nebraska - Signed LOI]