QB Adrian Martinez [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Here is why people think Martinez could start next year, and I'm not sure why anyone would feel incredulous about people thinking it's possible.

a) None of the current roster knows the playbook any better than Martinez, and that won't change if he enrolls in January.

b) We don't have a clear #1 QB right now given Lee's play (although it did improve). 3 years ago Armstrong was a pretty clear #1 although people always cheer for backup QBs. Lee's position is far more shaky than his was and he may not even be here.

c) He can run the ball better than any QB on our current roster and Frost wants a QB who can run it. Yes, he's had someone like Milton who is a decent runner, but I'm guessing he'd pick a very good runner who completes 57% of his passes over a decent runner who completes 60%. (and yes I'm just throwing those numbers out there).

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Here is why people think Martinez could start next year, and I'm not sure why anyone would feel incredulous about people thinking it's possible.

a) None of the current roster knows the playbook any better than Martinez, and that won't change if he enrolls in January.

b) We don't have a clear #1 QB right now given Lee's play (although it did improve). 3 years ago Armstrong was a pretty clear #1 although people always cheer for backup QBs. Lee's position is far more shaky than his was and he may not even be here.

c) He can run the ball better than any QB on our current roster and Frost wants a QB who can run it. Yes, he's had someone like Milton who is a decent runner, but I'm guessing he'd pick a very good runner who completes 57% of his passes over a decent runner who completes 60%. (and yes I'm just throwing those numbers out there).

A very good runner at 57% or a decent runner at 60% may or may not be good enough to make this offense go. However, Milton was a 69% passer who averaged 10 ypa - and I'm sure Frost would take that over a very good runner at 57% every time.

Edited by RedDenver
  • Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

A very good runner at 57% or a decent runner at 60% may or may not be good enough to make this offense go. However, Milton was a 69% passer who averaged 10 ypa - and I'm sure Frost would take that over a very good runner at 57% every time.

I don't disagree with that, but I'm thinking about POB and Gebbia. Gebbia's probably higher and I think it'll be a good competition.

• Mavric changed the title to QB Adrian Martinez [Nebraska - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric pinned this topic