Playoffs - What Can We Do?

I don't know for sure if Bama was the wrong pick or not. I don't really have a problem with them picking a team like USC, Ohio State, or Alabama this year. I just have a problem with people automatically saying how much better a team is like it is fact. I heard how OSU was so great before they played Florida in the 2006 NC and then got it handed to them. I then heard it before the OSU/Bama 2014 game when everyone was saying that Bama was going to kill OSU. Then people bring up all these statistics like it really is supposed to definitively separate two teams that played two totally different schedules. It is like comparing cars with one running a quarter mile and the other running a slightly shorter distance. Are you really going to compare the stats from the two races and say that one car is definitely better than the other?  

With conference championships 4 is fine. Just make sure the schedule makeup for each team is the same. 9 conference games and no FCS teams. I also say get rid of the neutral site games during the regular season. 

I can't wait until people complain about OSU's 2019 schedule. Their out of conference schedule isn't good but they do play Penn State and Michigan back to back. They also get Nebraska, which should be improved under Frost, and Wisconsin. 

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

I agree that Alabama shouldn't have been in, but, let's not act like conference championships are meaningless. 14 of the 16 teams to make the playoff thus far have been conference champions. The two that weren't were Ohio State last year over Penn State (a pretty good argument for them, as they had better wins than PSU, and PSU had worse losses than them), and Alabama this year, who I think is a totally bogus pick.

It sucks, but I also think the committee is 15/16 in getting it right, and I don't expect them to be perfect.

Other than the fact that Penn State won the division, the conference, and beat Ohio State head-to-head, I guess I can admit Ohio State had a better resume. Not that any of that should count for anything.

If you’re not the best team in your conference, you’re not the best team in the country. That’s for damn sure if you can’t win your division.

Edited by Edison's Enemy

9 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

Other than the fact that Penn State won the division, the conference, and beat Ohio State head-to-head, I guess I can admit Ohio State had a better resume. Not that any of that should count for anything.

If you’re not the best team in your conference, you’re not the best team in the country. That’s for damn sure if you can’t win your division.

See, you're talking about two different things, though.

I think it should go to teams with the best resume. 

You're saying it should go to the best teams. A lot of times those aren't the same. Often, the team that wins the conference, isn't the best team in the conference. Don't believe me? Look at 2012 Wisconsin. 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

See, you're talking about two different things, though.

I think it should go to teams with the best resume. 

You're saying it should go to the best teams. A lot of times those aren't the same. Often, the team that wins the conference, isn't the best team in the conference. Don't believe me? Look at 2012 Wisconsin. 

Best team by the eye test is subjective. Best team by results on the field is not. I choose to go by the latter.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

Best team by the eye test is subjective. Best team by results on the field is not. I choose to go by the latter.

Okay, hypothetical scenario:

Team A loses to team B by 3 points, but beats the #1, #2, and #3 teams in the country all by at least two scores.

Team B beats Team A by 3 points, but has no ranked wins and has a loss against a 5-7 team. They win the division and play for the conf championship due to tiebreaker.

Which team is the better team by results on the field? 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Okay, hypothetical scenario:

Team A loses to team B by 3 points, but beats the #1, #2, and #3 teams in the country all by at least two scores.

Team B beats Team A by 3 points, but has no ranked wins and has a loss against a 5-7 team. They win the division and play for the conf championship due to tiebreaker.

Which team is the better team by results on the field? 

Team B. They won the head-to-head, and won the division.

Edited by Edison's Enemy

The problem is the conferences are not setup to play everyone so it isn't a balanced schedule. What would have been more impressive this year, a one loss Nebraska that loses to Wisconsin by a last second field goal but beat everyone on their schedule or an undefeated Wisconsin? Nebraska played a much harder schedule than Wisconsin.

2 hours ago, Edison's Enemy said:

Team B. They won the head-to-head, and won the division.

Yeah, I respectfully disagree. A team that beat the top 3 teams in the country and lost by 3 to another team is better than the team that beat them, but has worse wins, and a worse loss. 

Just now, Landlord said:

Yeah, I respectfully disagree. A team that beat the top 3 teams in the country and lost by 3 to another team is better than the team that beat them, but has worse wins, and a worse loss. 

That would be speculation though. If team B hasn’t played the top three teams, we don’t truly know who’s better. Team B would have beat a team that beat the top three teams. That’s a pretty darn big win on the resume. Head-to-head should be the deciding factor.

1 minute ago, Edison's Enemy said:

Head-to-head should be the deciding factor.

No matter what?

So 2015 Nebraska was a better team than 2015 Michigan State? Saying that the team that wins head to head is empirically better is also kinda speculation, IMO.

I think head to head should be a tiebreaker in the case of otherwise nearly identical resumes. 

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

No matter what?

So 2015 Nebraska was a better team than 2015 Michigan State? Saying that the team that wins head to head is empirically better is also kinda speculation, IMO.

I think head to head should be a tiebreaker in the case of otherwise nearly identical resumes. 

Uggghh. That’s what I mean. In the case of Penn State vs Ohio State. Ohio State vs. Alabama.

You know, the topic of the thread?