Quarterback

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think throwing accuracy is really measured by someone's eyeballs, not a statistic.  I know an accurate passer when I see it.

So, essentially, let's not try to use numbers and stats when making claims, but just all take each other's words for it? 

Just now, Landlord said:

So, essentially, let's not try to use numbers and stats when making claims, but just all take each other's words for it? 

I am a huge numbers and stats guy, but there are some attributes, like throwing accuracy, are more intangible than others.  I think it's a very flawed statement to say "Player X has a great completion percentage, so he's an accurate passer."

Why do so many spread guys fail in the NFL after putting up huge numbers in college, including completion %?  Because they aren't as accurate passers as their completion percentage would indicate.  They don't have the ability to fit the ball in tight spaces or drop the ball over a defender that is required in the NFL.  In the college game, the spread offenses do a great job of getting guys WIDE OPEN that even an "inaccurate" passer can make the completion.

• Plus1 1

Can you provide examples of quarterbacks who throw for better than 70% who you think aren't accurate passers?

I'd argue those spread guys fail more often because of decision making, not because of arm ability. I don't have any idea for sure, but I think their schemes in college are much more conducive to telling them what to do instead of demanding them to have to mentally make choices. 

22 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Can you provide examples of quarterbacks who throw for better than 70% who you think aren't accurate passers?

I'd argue those spread guys fail more often because of decision making, not because of arm ability. I don't have any idea for sure, but I think their schemes in college are much more conducive to telling them what to do instead of demanding them to have to mentally make choices. 

There are a number of reasons spread guys fail.  Decision making, accuracy, and arm strength are the ones that are on the top of my mind right now.

Here is the list for career passing completion % leaders in NCAA history.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

From that list, I didn't think Johnny Manziel was especially accurate.  Brandon Weeden wasn't very accurate once he was asked to make tight window throws in the NFL.  Brett Hundley is at 67.45%, and I don't think of him as an accurate passer.  I think Baker Mayfield benefits from Lincoln Riley's system to get guys WIDE OPEN, more than the accuracy of his throws.  I would say the same for McKenzie Milton at UCF.

Edited by ColoradoHusk

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are a number of reasons spread guys fail.  Decision making, accuracy, and arm strength are the ones that are on the top of my mind right now.

Here is the list for career passing completion % leaders in NCAA history.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

From that list, I didn't think Johnny Manziel was especially accurate.  Brandon Weeden wasn't very accurate once he was asked to make tight window throws in the NFL.  Brett Hundley is at 67.45%, and I don't think of him as an accurate passer.  I think Baker Mayfield benefits from Lincoln Riley's system to get guys WIDE OPEN, more than the accuracy of his throws.  I would say the same for McKenzie Milton at UCF.

I agree that the system and what a QB is being asked to do gives context to the metrics. 

IMO statistics need context to discern meaning. And that's not just in sports. (said the guy in marketing)  lol

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I thought this thread was about the QB's on roster (or soon to be)...not the ones from the 1990's rosters.

Technically the title of the thread is 'quarterback', so anything related to that should be fair game, hypothetically.

What's your guys' favorite quarterback name of all time? Hard to beat Jim Bob Cooter!