Can we get JUCOs to beef up the defense?

Hayseed

I know that completely confusing everyone by switching to the 3-4 and playing soft didn't help, but don't you feel like we're light on defense and getting pushed around too much?

If you don't then nevermind.......if you do, are there gettable guys who Frost can bring in right away to play? I feel like Frost has the charisma thing going where recruits will hear him out and want to come on board. Now is the time to bring in an impact LB from the JUCO's.

Next years schedule is a killer, .........are there any JUCO DL's and LB's we can get right away?

• Plus1 1

Deontre Thomas and Damion Daniels will be good for us in the middle eventually. We have some youngsters in the trenches but we could use some help. They offered a JUCO DB which is much needed with all of the recruiting misses the last 2 years. We've been close bringing great talent in but we've missed frankly and we have nobody over last 2 years at this point in the secondary. 

16 minutes ago, I.M. OLD said:

Every one assumes that we had the best players on the field and we didn’t 

No one is assuming anything. Honestly I think talent and depth are pretty solid in the front 7 (assuming we stay 3-4 base) but we don't have a DB committed this cycle and we had no DBs make it to campus last cycle. We need DBs in a bad way just for depth.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No one is assuming anything. Honestly I think talent and depth are pretty solid in the front 7 (assuming we stay 3-4 base) but we don't have a DB committed this cycle and we had no DBs make it to campus last cycle. We need DBs in a bad way just for depth.

No disagreement here but lots of folks think it’s a lack of talent. We always need more talent and depth, but whoever had the final say on who was on the field did a crap job. I honestly have no idea who that was the more I hear. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, I.M. OLD said:

No disagreement here but lots of folks think it’s a lack of talent. We always need more talent and depth, but whoever had the final say on who was on the field did a crap job. I honestly have no idea who that was the more I hear. 

I think that is where these so called "expectations" on Frost are coming from. This team doesn't lack talent, Frost seems like the missing piece to bring us back to a competive squad. There are holes that need filled but I agree the sentiment that we need a complete rebuild is a little much. Culturally maybe, but I think everyone will be receptive to Frost. The way this all of this transpired was positive for the kids.

FWIW, UCF had just one defensive player on the roster that weighed at least 300 lbs.

They still handled Maryland's line better than a couple B10 teams. They wouldn't handle a full season of that but still.

We always need more beef but we aren't in dire straits either.  The Twins, D. Thomas, G. Thomas and D. Daniels form a solid core and I wouldnt be shocked if Freedom and Alex Davis swap positions.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The fact that Nebraska hasn't tapped into the IWCC pipeline to this point is a borderline travesty.  It looks like this staff is at least pursuing some JUCOs.

Yep.

They have a stud OT (which we need badly) with offers from OU, MSU, Georgia etc. and he's going to TCU. He was interested in Nebraska... the staff didn't even look at him.

This is a very good idea.  This will buy us a year or two while SF gets a solid couple recruiting classes under his belt and a good staff in place.  Hate to say it but this was how BS rebuilt KSU years ago and we are not as bad but are def a rebuild effort across the board at this point.