Can we get JUCOs to beef up the defense?

Hayseed

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

IWCC still has a great program. They should have been in the JUCO National Championship game, but got screwed out of it. Bo and Riley wasted what has been built at IWCC, and Osborne helped start the IWCC program. I’m sure Osborne saw it as an avenue for recruits who didn’t qualify academically to spend a year or two, and stay close to NU coaches.  It’s definitely been a wasted opportunity for NU the past few years. 

Could IWCC be used kind of like the walk on program?  Like a UNL JV if they would work together.

• Plus1 1
Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

Could IWCC be used kind of like the walk on program?  Like a UNL JV if they would work together.

Unofficially yes. I think that’s what Osborne had in mind when he helped start the IWCC program. After partial qualifiers weren’t allowed to enter the program, I’m sure Osborne thought this could be a way to keep them close to NU. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Unofficially yes. I think that’s what Osborne had in mind when he helped start the IWCC program. After partial qualifiers weren’t allowed to enter the program, I’m sure Osborne thought this could be a way to keep them close to NU. 

I’ve really never thought about it, but it seems like a no brainer.  Could really benefit both programs.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

I always felt like Pelini really squandered that opportunity. 

Having a pipeline to a CC in your backyard can be a major advantage. I don't see how it couldn't provide the same type of advantage as the walk-on program if utilized correctly. Lord knows the walk-on program isn't the same as it used to be under TO when they still allowed partial qualifiers. 

Remember how good Fort Scott CC was to us? It gave us Kinnie, Yoshi, SJB & of course David back in the Pelini era.

But I was hopeful for them to use IWCC this way when they first announced a program, and it never came to be. They've got a great program down there, or used to. Snyder's gotten some run out of them. We need to. 

I was just saying something similar in another thread:

14 minutes ago, QMany said:

Between IWCC and the Kansas Jayhawk Conference, we have some top JUCO talent in our backyard that we need to poach! We used to thrive in the Jayhawk: Larry Asante (Coffeyville), Jamarcus Hardrick (Fort Scott), Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Fort Scott), Lavonte Davis (Fort Scott). Currently, SEVEN of the Top-30 JUCO recruits are in the Jayhawk Conference, and one more is at IWCC.

56 minutes ago, QMany said:

I was just saying something similar in another thread:

No excuse not to. Especially when Snyder is poaching QBs (and probably other players as well) from Iowa Western. 

I think we've all made peace with the fact it's not as easy to recruit NU as it is USC or Miami. That means we're going to have to find creative ways to try to make up the difference. JUCOs can be very valuable gap fillers for holes or in some cases unit changing stars (Lavonte). 

I'm with you. I just never understood why we didn't give them a closer look. For all my complaints about Bo, at least he used FSCC pretty well.

Never understood why they just straight-up ignored IWCC. If I recall correctly, we even had a smallish WR commit from TX that was a non-qualifier that we sent there - and never heard from again. (Yep - looked it up. It was Larenzo Stewart.)