Husker Defense Under Frost

URSS

Scott Frost mentioned restoring Husker traditions and seemed to indicate that his offense from UCF will continue.  I hope he will eventually blend some Husker running with the pass.

My concern is the defense.  UCF gave up 55 points to Memphis and Riley’s Blackshirts gave up a lot of points and yards.  I don’t like the 3-4 defense and I saw UCF use it some.  

Assuming the UCF DC comes with Scott, what changes do we think will be made to our 2018 defense?   Where are we going with the Blackshirts?  

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, URSS said:

Scott Frost mentioned restoring Husker traditions and seemed to indicate that his offense from UCF will continue.  I hope he will eventually blend some Husker running with the pass.

My concern is the defense.  UCF gave up 55 points to Memphis and Riley’s Blackshirts gave up a lot of points and yards.  I don’t like the 3-4 defense and I saw UCF use it some.  

Assuming the UCF DC comes with Scott, what changes do we think will be made to our 2018 defense?   Where are we going with the Blackshirts?  

In today's college football game, with the rules bent so far in favor of the offense, I don't think we'll ever see the kind of statistical dominance we have had in years past on defense.  So many teams are running these fast, up-tempo offenses that shutting them down completely or out is largely a thing of the past.  Heck even the SEC and Big 10, conferences known for 10-6, 17-14 types of games in past years are now track meets where 42-38 type of scores are more the norm than ever before.  There are just way too many excellent athletes out there, spread out all over the FBS, to truly limit teams like was what happened in the previously.

As far as the Blackshirts and what will be done with them?  No idea.  But knowing what's already occurred, my guess is that we'll get back to the true Blackshirts.  Meaning, fast, physical, swarming defense that takes the fight to the offense, rather than being passive and just reacting.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

In today's college football game, with the rules bent so far in favor of the offense, I don't think we'll ever see the kind of statistical dominance we have had in years past on defense.  So many teams are running these fast, up-tempo offenses that shutting them down completely or out is largely a thing of the past.  Heck even the SEC and Big 10, conferences known for 10-6, 17-14 types of games in past years are now track meets where 42-38 type of scores are more the norm than ever before.  There are just way too many excellent athletes out there, spread out all over the FBS, to truly limit teams like was what happened in the previously.

As far as the Blackshirts and what will be done with them?  No idea.  But knowing what's already occurred, my guess is that we'll get back to the true Blackshirts.  Meaning, fast, physical, swarming defense that takes the fight to the offense, rather than being passive and just reacting.

Wish you would have told this to our last staff......