Husker Defense Under Frost

URSS

6 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I understand the uptempo wears out your d and with Memphis also playing fast, there were a lot of coverage mistakes that led to big plays...which is why they play uptempo...what bothered me was the poor tackling.

Now I would probably agree that frost focused on the offense first.  Let's face it, a big time athlete on the offensive side that can touch the ball potentially every snap is going to have a bigger immediate impact than say a stud corner. All you have to do is find a weakness in the D to exploit it and neutralize that impact player. Offense can scheme away from their weak links a little easier. 

Im just hoping the missed tackles were more fatigue from the D as I missed the first half. Can anyone confirm that the tackling was better in the first? 

The tackling was an issue the entire Memphis game, but keep in mind that UCF had played in 11 straight weeks.  They had their bye week taken away because of the hurricane that hit Florida in September.  I think there was just a lot of physical and mental fatigue that set in for UCF.

I would think that they would be able to build more depth at NU, so they can do more rotating and substituting to keep players fresh.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I understand the uptempo wears out your d and with Memphis also playing fast, there were a lot of coverage mistakes that led to big plays...which is why they play uptempo...what bothered me was the poor tackling.

Now I would probably agree that frost focused on the offense first.  Let's face it, a big time athlete on the offensive side that can touch the ball potentially every snap is going to have a bigger immediate impact than say a stud corner. All you have to do is find a weakness in the D to exploit it and neutralize that impact player. Offense can scheme away from their weak links a little easier. 

Im just hoping the missed tackles were more fatigue from the D as I missed the first half. Can anyone confirm that the tackling was better in the first? 

I didn't watch the whole game so intently as I would one of ours but recall a long TD runs featuring a DB, Tre Neal, missing the only tackle his team was set up to make.  I'm pretty sure that was in the first half...  p.s. - I thought the story of the game was the UCF turnovers.  They looked like they were going to pull away in the 2nd quarter but for a couple of them.  I wasn't watching so intently in the second half when they did manage to get up a couple of scores.

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 1
Just now, beorach said:

I didn't watch the whole game but one of the long TD runs featured a DB, Tre Neal, missing the only tackle his team was set up to make.  I'm pretty sure that was in the first half...

There were a lot of missed tackles by the UCF secondary just throwing a shoulder at a guy, instead of trying to wrap up and make a solid tackle.  That is a sign that guys are sore and tired.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There were a lot of missed tackles by the UCF secondary just throwing a shoulder at a guy, instead of trying to wrap up and make a solid tackle.  That is a sign that guys are sore and tired.

I don't think that describes the play as I remember it.  Neal went to ground and gave a decent effort.  I was surprised nobody else had a shot at the RB.

You can't even compare the two. It's different levels of Football.  The strength of schedule confirms it as well.  It's one of the reasons they're not even considered for the playoffs.    It's why the red hot young coaches always start in lower level football.  They jump ship to come and play big time football.

9 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

You can't even compare the two. It's different levels of Football.  The strength of schedule confirms it as well.  It's one of the reasons they're not even considered for the playoffs.    It's why the red hot young coaches always start in lower level football.  They jump ship to come and play big time football.

Then why are you trying to make comparisons to how UCF's defense was and NU's defense may be?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Then why are you trying to make comparisons to how UCF's defense was and NU's defense may be?

I never said anything about how NU's defense may be.  I simply remarked that both teams are closely ranked in overall defense and I stated UCF played worse teams.

Quite frankly I'm sick of talking and hearing about UCF, Mike Riley, Bo and Callahan.  All ancient history and has no bearing on any future success of Nebraska Football.

But I'm also a guy who is so unimpressed with the quality of Football played in the AAC that I dismiss all the hype.  

3 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

I never said anything about how NU's defense may be.  I simply remarked that both teams are closely ranked in overall defense and I stated UCF played worse teams.

Quite frankly I'm sick of talking and hearing about UCF, Mike Riley, Bo and Callahan.  All ancient history and has no bearing on any future success of Nebraska Football.

But I'm also a guy who is so unimpressed with the quality of Football played in the AAC that I dismiss all the hype.  

I think that UCF played much better offenses in the AAC, than NU did in the Big Ten (especially the West division).  That's just my eyeballs watching the games.  I think offenses like Memphis and South Florida would have success in the Big Ten.  The lack of athleticism and speed that the Big Ten has is something you should be very aware of.

I understand that the lines are bigger and stronger and the defenses in the Big Ten may be better, but the Big Ten has some of the worst offenses in the entire country.

• Plus1 1
On 12/4/2017 at 6:08 AM, twofittyonred said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I see them sitting 95th in total defense right down there with 103 Nebraska.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Yards per game isn’t all that important. They were 53rd in scoring defense and 5th in takeaways. I’ll take an aggressive defense that forces turnovers any day of the week. The B1G West isn’t known for explosive offenses, turnovers are important. Would be nice to have 29 takeaways (UCF) vs 12 (UNL)

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that UCF played much better offenses in the AAC, than NU did in the Big Ten (especially the West division).  That's just my eyeballs watching the games.  I think offenses like Memphis and South Florida would have success in the Big Ten.  The lack of athleticism and speed that the Big Ten has is something you should be very aware of.

I understand that the lines are bigger and stronger and the defenses in the Big Ten may be better, but the Big Ten has some of the worst offenses in the entire country.

The Big Ten must have great defenses then, because they have 3 teams in top ten and currently 5 rated in the top 25.

Urban Meyer says hello 42-20 beat down of the Oregon Ducks in the 2015 national title game versus the fastest team in College Football and Marcus Mariotta.

Please....to say the Big Ten has weak offense and no speed is absurd.

The problem with football today is 7-7 competiton in High School. I'm dealing with it with my son who is a High School QB.   

Everyone wants the eye test fast paced high scoring offense.  Every kid loves playing the Nike 7-7 summer flag festival.

In the mean time they never grasp the physicality of the game. How to blow teams off the line of scrimage. How to pound the rock for 8 minute drives and put the game away.

You can have the eye test.  I'll take Big Ten Football any day of the week over the schools  that trade touchdowns each possesion.

• Plus1 1